Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

hpyhnt 1000

Do you like IP?

No surprise there. Probably doesn't help that RoL was met with middling reviews, primarily a result of lackluster show design/staging. But the powers that be likely blame it on the lack of IP.

Can't wait for IllumiNations: IP featuring Elsa, Remy, and the Three Caballeros (and goodness knows who else).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No surprise there. Probably doesn't help that RoL was met with middling reviews, primarily a result of lackluster show design/staging. But the powers that be likely blame it on the lack of IP.

Can't wait for IllumiNations: IP featuring Elsa, Remy, and the Three Caballeros (and goodness knows who else).
Purely hypothetical but I can see a direction like Fant at TDS being taken, presentation and content wise.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Purely hypothetical but I can see a direction like Fant at TDS being taken, presentation and content wise.
Hypothetically, if that route was taken, would there be any resemblance to the current theme of the show? Or will it just be what Chapeks refers to as the current vision of "Disney WOW" factor?

trainplane3

I wonder when they'll figure out that RoL is just a boring show due to the show, not lack of IP. The videos of WoC at DL I've seen make that show look incredible even though it's "only" some fountains. You can make a good show with just fountains and WoC proves it.

RoE is still crazy popular after all these years. It's literally the only show I make a point of seeing every time I'm in WDW. I would think they'd just want to beef it up and give it a new (full orchestral) score. Maybe give the earth float new screens or make it bigger? Throw some drones in? Plus it, give it a new name. Don't nuke it.

I agree it needs updated after 18(?) years, but not with IPs.

HMF

I believe it has been stated by insiders that the new IllumiNations is being produced by the same team that made Rivers of Light, so there is some hope....
I have yet to see
Rivers of Lightso I can't comment. If it was the same team that did Reflections of Earth I could breathe a little easier. If they go the IP route, my days at Epcot will be MUCH shorter.

rael ramone

Considering how popular Illuminations is WITHOUT IP's I'm a bit surprised they would consider going that route, but at the same time I shouldn't be surprised. They probably think ROL's failures are a lack of IP. Shame.

Thinking that they replaced TOT with GOTG because it lacked 'desired' IP.

Much of TGMR is spent looking at the history of other companies IP.

You don't go to Disney Parks in 2017 just to spend an enormous amount of money on admission, food, beverages, and plush. You go to immerse yourselves in Approved IP. They don't just want access to your wallet while you're there. They want it 24/7, so they want guests to be Disciples of the BRAND.

Tavernacle12

I could see this being not terrible if they preserved the globe as the centrepiece and each 'float' was themed to a country (and their related IP). I can't see how we'd get the creation of earth and evolution of civilisation sections with that sort of thing, though.

rael ramone

I'm adamant about it because it leverages Disneys current strengths Hotels, Food Service, Convention Support and Infrastructure, And the Chinese LOVE TO GAMBLE.

Media Networks is cratering and within 2-4,years will be operating at a major loss. Disney has failed in the digital arena.

The easiest way forward for Disney to replace the lost revenue from Media Neworks is gaming as it plays to Disney's strengths

As to the hard feelings in public, the average person these days has the attention span of a gnat and will not even remember the battles.

If $DIS added gaming to the Swamps, I would hate that more then anything that this company has ever done.

I think it is quite unlikely that the company would stoop to adding gaming to the Cruise Lines or any Land based park. It would literally fit better in Branson then it would in the swamps, and I think current management knows this...

That said, it's not impossible.

As Media Networks faces more Deteriorating Fundamentals, at best the company becomes more cyclical. Cyclical companies have more volatile share prices. And if people tire of Superheroes & Sequels & Requels & Remakes and if the economy drives people away from the parks, then the share price goes down. A lower share price is easier for another company to take the company over. A lower share price is also easier for an activist investor to load up on shares and then start throwing their weight around (like what happened to Whole Foods - Janus pushed for a sale, then once it happened Jana sold. Janus doesn't care if WFM replaces organic fair trade items for Coke/Pepsi/Kimberly Clark/Proctor & Gamble items because that's how a lot of grocery stores make their coin - selling shelf space to the blue chips).

Haymarket2008

This is a factor.

Let me add I don't think this is fully nailed down yet. There's a few either-ors they haven't been decided on yet. Tech wise I also believe there's some mediums still to be finalised.

Wasn't the show going to remain IP-less as of a couple months ago?

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
No official word has been publically released. Being corporate and sensitive and all that it's not something I'm about to post.
If you can't say I understand but that other site that shall not be named is saying it's over the monorail fleet. I thought insiders here said this was a bunch of bull.

He is also saying the corporate lounge is now vacant. Siemens last day ocuppying the lounge was July 31st or so he says. Can anyone confirm?

becca_

Well if they aren't going to turn back the clock and return SSE to its original glory showcasing American exceptionalism, I would rather it become a roller coaster.
I only remember the current version, I don't really remember the pre 08 (?) refurb - but I understand people who like the older version, I've seen youtube videos. But the current version is obviously sentimental to me, it's all I know

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom