Should we visit Kennedy Space Center?

Disneyhead'71

It is a shame that you are going to be about 2 weeks late for an Atlas V launch.

I also highly recommend Islands of Adventure. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman are two of the best rides on the planet.

luv

Space stuff is not my thing at all. I don't care what Mars looks like, etc.

I'd go to Uni, Sea World, Gatorland, see the Titanic thing...just about anything else.

But if you're into space stuff, you should go. Bring $ for tolls. :)

Ann S

Original Poster
To the OP, for starters, you will have some very lenient crowds on your trip. I went to WDW from September 26th-October 10th, 2009. All the other non-Disney parks had lower crowds too. That being said, if you have a spare day it all depends on what you haven't seen yet. You didn't really specify. If you haven't seen Universal yet you should see that over Kennedy. Or even Sea World.

From my own personal experience I can say that I did not enjoy Kennedy. I was 15 in 1995 when I went. But then again, I was a teenager. I didn't want to learn. I also was indifferent about Epcot in 1995 but loved it in 2009 so I might enjoy Kennedy more today. I will say this, if you are interested in Space you should not miss it.

Hi, thanks! I live in So. Ca. so we have Universal and Sea World. My son doesn't like Universal just "Jurassic Park Ride". Not into Harry or Marvel. He's 12 and loves museums and Disney!

Ann S

Original Poster
It is a shame that you are going to be about 2 weeks late for an Atlas V launch.

I also highly recommend Islands of Adventure. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and The Amazing Adventures of Spiderman are two of the best rides on the planet.

Hi. What is Island of Adventure?? Also, we both don't like 3D rides! Agh! That's why we've been such huge Disney fans since he was 2. Bummer about the launch; that would have been pretty cool.

Ann S

Original Poster
My husband is REALLY into space travel / the space program, so he loves going to Kennedy Space Centre. I enjoyed it too -- think it's well worth it. Educational, sobering, thrilling and the Vehicle Assembly Building has to be seen to be believed. Overall, I think it's something everyone should see -- a piece of human history and with the shuttle program over with, it takes on a new light.

Plus it's in a stunning part of Florida.

I agree about the history! Not too many people can say they've been there. I want to be one of them.

El-Fuego

Definitely would recommend Kennedy. I can confirm that the Shuttle Atlantis will be in the Vehicle Assembly Building during September according to their guest relations. Best to book ahead as I'm told space can be limited at peak times. There's plenty to do, talks by astronauts, Imax shows, rocket park, viewing of the launch platforms, a genuine Saturn V Apollo rocket as well as a museum housing again genuine artifacts from throughout the US space program. Oh and parking is $10 extra. It's a blast! Go there just to see the shuttle for the last time in the building where it stood before each launch - it will never happen again as once the new exhibition building is finished its going there for permanent show.

Disneyhead'71

Hi. What is Island of Adventure?? Also, we both don't like 3D rides! Agh! That's why we've been such huge Disney fans since he was 2. Bummer about the launch; that would have been pretty cool.

Islands of Adventure is the 2nd park at Universal Orlando Resort. And is a much better theme park than Universal Hollywood. I think Universal Resort Orlando could change your mind about Universal products. The whole resort is world class and on par with the Disney offerings. And you don't have to be a Harry Potter fan to enjoy Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. It is one of the most advanced and amazing rides ever created. But just looking at the Hogwarts Castle and walking through the queue is a treat. And Spiderman has been considered one of the best dark rides for over 10 years. It is truly an amazing attraction, but it is a 3D ride. I have to ask, what 3D rides have you ridden that you hated so much? Because Disney doesn't have ANYTHING that comes even remotely close to Spiderman.

Islands of Adventure is an fantastic park.

http://www.universalorlando.com/Theme-Parks/Islands-of-Adventure.aspx

Here is what Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey looks like:

hogwarts-castle-appr.JPG

Btw, Forbidden Journey is in the castle, the small coaster on the right is Flight of the Hippogriff.

Walt Disney1955

Hi, thanks! I live in So. Ca. so we have Universal and Sea World. My son doesn't like Universal just "Jurassic Park Ride". Not into Harry or Marvel. He's 12 and loves museums and Disney!

As a fan of Universal Orlando I would strongly suggest you see it. It is a two park resort not unlike Disneyland resort. Both are side by side. There is Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. It depends on your tastes, but I would think many would consider Islands of Adventure the superior park between the two. Both are considered significant upgrades from Universal Hollywood

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
If you have any interest in the Space Program, then YES take the day away from WDW to take the tour.

Even if you are not a space fanatic going in you will be when you leave... unless things that might seem a tad complicated are out of reach of your mental capacity.

Mikester71

As a lifelong space geek, I was super pumped that the family agreed to take a day out of our last trip to drive to the Kennedy Space Centre. I knew the kids were looking forward to it, but wasn't too sure how excited my wife would be. Well it turned out we all had a blast - wife included! Sure, everything wasn't perfect. There was a Star Trek live exhibit that we all regretted wasting time on. And we did encounter some VERY long lines waiting for the buses and that. But we expected it considering we were there during our (Canadian) Spring Break. Overall though, the good hugely outweighed the bad. The tours and movies are top notch, well worth the price of admission. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves that day and we came home with some nice pictures, cool souvenirs, and memories we will always treasure. I could even see us returning there on a future visit to Florida. :)

whitethunder

I may be a bit biased on this subject..... Just cause I happen to be an engineer at the cape... In fact the KSCVC attendance in no way effects me, its completely separate and operated by a company NASA selected... Ok now that my full disclosure bit is done..

The KSCVC is very inspirational. I recommend everyone go and visit it at least once. I go every now and then, especially around the holidays to check out the Christmas rocket garden and collect some gifts for my space nut friends. As of right now you can go and see Endeavour in the VAB (just went and poked at it a couple days ago). If your still interested in going I can probably check the schedule to find out and make sure an orbiter is in there when you visit. They also have opened up the Launch Control Center, where they launched all the missions, for tour groups. The Atlas facility is really cool, nothing like walking underneath a full scale model of the most powerful rocket ever built. There is some major construction going on at the visitor center itself, namely the future home of space shuttle Atlantis (my avatar is a picture in the commander seat of Atlantis, quick brag).

If you have any questions let me know, I might be able to answer them for you. If not I can connect you to someone who might.

Thomas Howard

My wife and I both dreamed of being astronauts as children, so KSC was a must for us. I went when I was in elementary school, and remember that's where I feel in love the idea of space travel.

cheezbat

My answer, or question would be .....why aren't you spending the extra $$ to get a 10 day park hopper. The adult ticket price difference from a 8 day park hopper to a 10 day park hopper is $20....can't beat that value.

I'd cancel the shuttle mission and stay in the parks.

Maybe they dont care about the ten day park hopper since the parks aren't worth visiting for ten days straight. I know I know, it's my opinion, but seriously: how many times can you go to DHS or DAK? Neither are more than single day parks imho.
Kennedy Space Center, or Universal and Islands of Adventure, or Sea World would be worth the extra time and money over an extra two days at WDW, but to each their own.

sweetpee_1993

^^
Agreed. Broaden your horizons. KSC is definitely worth seeing...even if I haven't been there in 25 years. LOL! We do live quite close to Johnson Space Center in Houston and its fascinating. ;)

BTW, if you've not been to see Endeavor at the Cape your time is pretty much done. Endeavor flies out tomorrow I believe on her way to California. We're anticipating her stop in Houston at Ellington Field tomorrow.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
^^
Agreed. Broaden your horizons. KSC is definitely worth seeing...even if I haven't been there in 25 years. LOL! We do live quite close to Johnson Space Center in Houston and its fascinating. ;)

I agree. People have forgotten what the origins of most daily technology are. The defense and security provided to the country via NASA and its contractors. Space is a pivotal part of this country that has been on a downslide and that needs to CHANGE. KSC is an outstanding stop for those who are not afraid to actually learn something and not just sit in something that moves. It is beyond fun while learning at the same time. Seeing the scale of the VAB, an actual SSME, actual scale ET, and SRBs is really breath taking.

sweetpee_1993

I agree. People have forgotten what the origins of most daily technology are. The defense and security provided to the country via NASA and its contractors. Space is a pivotal part of this country that has been on a downslide and that needs to CHANGE. KSC is an outstanding stop for those who are not afraid to actually learn something and not just sit in something that moves. It is beyond fun while learning at the same time. Seeing the scale of the VAB, an actual SSME, actual scale ET, and SRBs is really breath taking.

Absolutely! We're a homeschoolin' family. We love to find learning everywhere we can. Even before we started this homeschooling adventure, soaking up interesting stuff we didn't already know was always fun for us. Everything you said is soooo true. Yep, NASA has been a very integral part of the lives of most people although very few stop to think about it. Plus, the historic significance of the accomplishments that were made. Astronauts (for the most part) are true heros! Especially the early guys... read this article and it totally lends a whole new perspective. People should go to KSC and to Johnson (aka Space Center Houston). Go see where the launches happened! Come see the actual Mission Control and training facilities! Just a few months ago I was driving past Ellington Field on Hwy 3 (not far from Johnson Space Center) and spotted NASA's Guppy sitting out. Talk about a freak-out! I was afraid my youngest & I would get jacked by security for driving all over the place in circles trying to get a good picture of the real life Vomit Comet! LOL!

Hubby read that there was a delay in the Endeavor heading west (something to do with weather). He's been watching the bulletins and things for air traffic coming up this week. It's looking like she'll be arriving on Tuesday and only staying overnight. I'm sure we'll drive over to Ellington several times between Tuesday & Wednesday to get pics. Ideally we'd like to actually see the 747 fly in & out w/Endeavor piggy-backin'. I'll try to get pics if we manage to figure out the exact timing.

Definitely makes me want to plan a day-trip to KSC next time we're sailing out of PC next year with the family.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom