Should We Stay or Should We Go?

Stig21070

Big family trip scheduled December 17th thru the 23rd...starting to get rumblings that half of more of the group are interested in staying thru Christmas. Any thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

SMS55

Well, Christmas is a great time to be at the parks. The really are decorated very nicely. However, the crowds are the busiest of the year. Your first few days won't be so bad. It's once the kids let out of school that the crowds seem to grow exponentially every day. If you can do a fair amount of stuff the first couple of day and you can pack patience then you'll be ok.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I've done one WDW Christmas trip - back in 08. We arrived Christmas Day and we left January 4th.
We had prepared ourselves for huge crowds and they didn't disappoint.
There is nothing that we did during our time that you can't do during your planned dates (other than let in the New Year in a Disney park)
You'll see all the Christmas lights, decorations and parades AND you'll avoid the heaviest of the crowds

Upvote 0

SDisney90

Big family trip scheduled December 17th thru the 23rd...starting to get rumblings that half of more of the group are interested in staying thru Christmas. Any thoughts or wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
I've never been to Disney in December unfortunately due to my works "Black out" dates. But if it was my choice on if we should go or not regardless if its busy or not my answer is YES. Honestly, I don't think I would ever turn down a trip to WDW. In my opinion with FP+ you''ll be able to hit all the big rides one way or another and have time to enjoy the Christmas decor, lights, the snow, firework shows etc. For me personally it's just a no brainier.

Upvote 0

Dafid Duck

We have gone on two trips around Christmas to celebrate our December 19th wedding anniversary. We stayed from the 18th to the 26th one year and the 19th to the 27th the other. As people have said above - do as much as you can early in the trip and things will be different with FP+. My biggest suggestion: DON'T GO TO THE MAGIC KINGDOM ON CHRISTMAS DAY! Epcot is much less crowded and has a lot of ''Christmasy'' things to see and do. Also, if you go to the Magic Kingdom early in the trip, check the dates for MVMCP. They use the Christmas parade in the park after MVMCP is over. Personally, I don't think its worth it to pay extra for that event.

We think Christmas is the best time of year to go to Disney, despite the crowds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disney4family

We went one year the 17th to the 23rd. It was great until the 23rd. I would have paid somebody for a FP to any MK ladies room just to help my daughter cut the lines. It was rough. Listen to the wonderful advice you're receiving. Know what you're getting yourselves into and just enjoy it for what it is. You're at WDW! A crowded day there is better than a crowded day at your local mall.;)

Upvote 0

irishmom58

We've gone Dec 2-7 after Thanksgiving rush, it was pretty doable, but lots of cheer groups from South America that clogged lines, and shut down some rides.

Upvote 0

PoorSkippy

This might be a once in a lifetime experience. If its a big family trip, and you're already down there, I say go for it! I was there on a big family trip over Christmas once and I remember how special it was, not the crowds.

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

I know that there are several days during the week between Christmas and New Year's that MK closes the gates because they reach capacity. If you do stay later, be prepared to wait in long lines and get to the parks (especially MK) when it opens so you don't get shut out. The decorations at the various resorts are always nice to see while you are there too. Just enjoy your time with your family.

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

We were there 12/18 to 12/27 of 2011. Crowds were fine through 12/24. On christmas we went to Epcot for the day and went to MK about 7 pm for dinner reservations. The gates at MK were closed for the majority of the morning and afternoon becaused they reached capacity. The 26th we just hotel hopped and checked out all of the decorations and ended up at a park late in the day. You just have to be carefull if you make any dining reservations at MK Christmas day and beyond because you need to make sure you are able to get into the park.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom