Should we skip going to a park on our arrival day? HELP!

Okay guys, I need some help for those who have lots of experience visiting Disney World and who have used Magical Express.

We will be arriving at MCO on January 8th (Marathon weekend) at 3:33pm and using the Magical Express to get to POR. My hope was to go to Hollywood Studios and stay for the Extra Magic hour, giving us until 9pm at the park.

After hearing horror stories of how it could take 2 hours to just get to our hotel room from Magical Express (and that doesn't include waiting for our bus to leave!) and that also doesn't include the time for us to check into the hotel to find our room, get to HS, yada yada, I'm worried that we will get like an hour in the park by the time we arrive at HS.
Am I being overly paranoid or should we honestly skip trying to visit a park this first day and just do Downtown Disney?

If we are skipping, can I call Disney and beg them to take a day of tickets off our package since we won't use it? It would be such a waste it seems...I'm so bummed our flight gets in so late but my parents booked the flight without realizing how long Magical Express may take.

Please just tell me I'm being silly and we'll get at least a few hours in the park *gulp*.

Disnee4Me

Our family pretty much makes it a tradition to just go to DTD on arrival day (just posted about this in another thread). Even when we flew (didn't use Magical Express), leaving NY at approximately 10 a.m., arrive Orlando 12:30-1, by the time we got our luggage and to the resort, it was 2:30ish, so we would just go to DTD, make an early night of it, so we would have a fresh start in the a.m. Now that we drive, we never know what time we'll get there, leaving CT in December, hitting snow storms sometimes as far south as Virginia, has cost us precious hours. So we just wait and enjoy the WHOLE next day, including a.m. and or p.m. EMHs.

Upvote 0

KikoKea

Depends on how many days you have to visit the parks and if you can get a refund for that day's ticket. If your days are few, you might want to go that evening in order to get in a few more park hours. But, if you have several full days to go and feel you have plenty of park time, I would not go to the park that late, personally- unless the ticket was not refundable, of course.

We always arrive in the late afternoon/early evening (after a red-eye from HI) and use the time for several things: visit other resorts to check out the decor, have dinner, come back to the TTA area and ride the monorail around the loop and then to Epcot and back, or visit DTD. We like to catch the MK fireworks at the boat dock, too- a nice beginning to our visit.

Or, you might want to just relax, take in DTD, eat a nice dinner, get some shopping out of the way, and go to bed early so you can hit the parks running the next day. :)

If you are worried about your bags, bring backpacks/carryons with the things you'll need immediately- change of clothes, toiletries, etc - so you won't be stuck if they are late. Then go have fun and not worry. You'll have a great time seeing the new attractions and remembering the old ones!

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all your help and opinions! I think we are going to stick with the plan to try and visit either Epcot or HS the first day we are there to try and get a few hours in. We only have 4 full days and one partial day plus the few hours on our arrival so I'm trying to get as much park time as possible.

My plan was to do this (please let me know if you would like to help tweak it! I'd love suggestions!)

Jan 8: Arrival and Epcot or HS for 2-3 hours if possible
Jan 9: Animal Kingdom until 3pm, Leave for POR to transfer to boat to get to DTD for Boathouse reservations for my brother's birthday @5:30pm, walk to Saratoga Springs Resort to catch bus to MK to see Wishes fireworks and do Anna & Elsa meet & greet, etc.
Jan 10: Hollywood Studios until 3pm (50's Prime Time Cafe lunch reservations @ 11:25am), MK from 4-8 OR HS all day
Jan 11: Epcot ALL day, Tutto Italia reservations @ 6pm
Jan 12: AK until 12/12:30pm, MK until 8pm
Jan 13: ANY park (which would you recommend we spend more time at, looking at what I've planned?) until 4:45pm AT LATEST, to get back to hotel for ME airport pickup for 8:55pm flight

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for all your help and opinions! I think we are going to stick with the plan to try and visit either Epcot or HS the first day we are there to try and get a few hours in. We only have 4 full days and one partial day plus the few hours on our arrival so I'm trying to get as much park time as possible.

My plan was to do this (please let me know if you would like to help tweak it! I'd love suggestions!)

Jan 9: Animal Kingdom until 3pm, Leave for POR to transfer to boat to get to DTD for Boathouse reservations for my brother's birthday @5:30pm, walk to Saratoga Springs Resort to catch bus to MK to see Wishes fireworks and do Anna & Elsa meet & greet, etc.
Jan 10: Hollywood Studios until 3pm (50's Prime Time Cafe lunch reservations @ 11:25am), MK from 4-8 OR HS all day
Jan 13: ANY park (which would you recommend we spend more time at, looking at what I've planned?) until 4:45pm AT LATEST, to get back to hotel for ME airport pickup for 8:55pm flight

Also, Epcot is open until 11pm on the 12th...I was considering switching the 11th and 12th, but I was worried Epcot may be very crowded that day because of those late hours...but because it's January and lower crowds, so I take the risk and switch those days around?

Upvote 0

NonnaT

Hi! I think the 2 hour window for arrival is counted from the time your plane lands, not necessarily ME time. IMHO you should bring a carry on with a change of clothes, PJs, and toothbrush. Do online check-in and go directly from ME to HS.... Do not pass GO and do not collect $200. (Sorry, that reference may be lost in translation-lol). So if you get to HS with FP+ for times beginning at 6pm, you should be able to get in alot of fun things. Do not set up an ADR but plan on a CS meal. That way you won't feel like your "wasting" a days ticket. One of the gifts of staying on property is the FP system. All just planning, which is what these forums help you do! Sparkle on:happy: and have a wonderful time! (You just know you will! . Let me add, this is all IMHO!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

I can tell you that my travel agent advised not to use up a ticket on the day that you arrive when doing so mid-day; I'm going in the fall and will be arriving around the same time as you. Her suggestion was to do Downtown Disney(we're doing the Halloween Party) and start fresh after a good night's rest the next day. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Mukta

Make a list before you go of must see attractions for all of you.
I don't know anything about you guys and your preferences, but this is what I would do.
If your flight is on time, I predict you arriving at POR around 5 pm.
1/8:Bus to Epcot, eat at a QS place and see some attractions and Illuminations.
1/9:MK til 3. Come back after dinner and stay til closing
1/10: AK til it closes at 5. hop to MK
1/11: Epcot all day
1/12: DHS all day. This is the lowest crowd day there of your whole trip.
1/13: Whichever park you still have more things to see in

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Make a list before you go of must see attractions for all of you.
I don't know anything about you guys and your preferences, but this is what I would do.
If your flight is on time, I predict you arriving at POR around 5 pm.
1/8:Bus to Epcot, eat at a QS place and see some attractions and Illuminations.
1/9:MK til 3. Come back after dinner and stay til closing
1/10: AK til it closes at 5. hop to MK
1/11: Epcot all day
1/12: DHS all day. This is the lowest crowd day there of your whole trip.
1/13: Whichever park you still have more things to see in

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to everyone once again. Work has been hectic!
I've read all the replies but I wanted to mention that I LOVE this plan! I decided to change up my plan and go with this because I realized all my park hopping was actually causing me to lose a lot of time due to travel. THANK YOU!

I do have another question though...going in January, what can I really expect with wait-times for more popular rides?
Let's say I go to DHS on the 12th and in the afternoon around 2pm want to do TOT...what would a typical January Marathon Weekend wait-time probably look like for those with experience or at least more knowledge than I? I looked at crowd calendars but I've heard from some that those aren't always very reliable, according to those with experience.
I plan to use FP+, but I'm just curious if I can expect any 60 minute waits at all during the time I'm there. I don't mind 30 minutes, but I'm curious to know if it actually does get that crazy of a wait-time during such a low season.
A Disney Cast member over the phone told me that in January he rode Space Mountain 3x's in a row mid-day during the time I'm going...just seemed off to me...could it really be possible?

Upvote 0

Mukta

You will absolutely see wait times over 60 minutes if you try to ride ToT around 2 pm. Marathon weekend is fairly busy, so ride headliners at rope drop. See shows at DHS around 2 pm like Beauty and the Beast or Indy. Rides should be first thing.

Upvote 0

JasonDeyoung

Arrival day, I normally go to the resort as early as possible and see if I can heck in. I live an hour away so I usually show up pretty early. My room has been ready a lot more than not. If not I still check in and they just text you when your room is available. Anyways back to point of topic. I usually head right to the parks, that or I take it easy and head dtd and grab lunch. Being marathon weekend that is a whole other monster lol. I've run over the past two marathon weekends. Crowds are hit and miss. Since the races are all at the butt crack of dawn and runners gotta be up at 230-3am to get on the busses. The crowds don't usually hit the parks till later and Sunday will be busy. It is still one of my favorite times to visit though. I'd just as said above, plan for both.

Upvote 0

Mickey5150

Every single trip I take always starts with a trip to Epcot, no matter what time I get in. I get a late fastpass for either Test Track or Soarin, sometime around 8ish, throw in 2 other random fastpasses for earlier times I might use, and then about a half hour before the park closes I get myself a nice adult beverage and plant myself somewhere to watch Illuminations. I have officially arrived at my Walt Disney World vacation and all is right in the world.

Upvote 0

CJLove79

Okay guys, I need some help for those who have lots of experience visiting Disney World and who have used Magical Express.

We will be arriving at MCO on January 8th (Marathon weekend) at 3:33pm and using the Magical Express to get to POR. My hope was to go to Hollywood Studios and stay for the Extra Magic hour, giving us until 9pm at the park.

After hearing horror stories of how it could take 2 hours to just get to our hotel room from Magical Express (and that doesn't include waiting for our bus to leave!) and that also doesn't include the time for us to check into the hotel to find our room, get to HS, yada yada, I'm worried that we will get like an hour in the park by the time we arrive at HS.
Am I being overly paranoid or should we honestly skip trying to visit a park this first day and just do Downtown Disney?

If we are skipping, can I call Disney and beg them to take a day of tickets off our package since we won't use it? It would be such a waste it seems...I'm so bummed our flight gets in so late but my parents booked the flight without realizing how long Magical Express may take.

Please just tell me I'm being silly and we'll get at least a few hours in the park *gulp*.

I can definitely relate to your issue about what to do on that very first day in Disney World. LOL. Me and my girl arrive at the Contemporary Resort on October 16th and originally I was planning on us going to MK whether our room was available or not. But my girl said that she would be too tired when we first get there cause our flight is an overnight flight, we won't get there till 6:15 am and sleeping on the plane won't be enoughfor her. So she suggested that we use that first day as our "Resort Day" where we chill at the Contemporary, explore and get to know the Resort we'll be staying at for two weeks. Plus, she'll be able to take a good nap during the day, get a good sleep at night and be fresh for MK first thing the next morning. When she suggested that, I said it was a great idea and decided to not only incorporate it into our plans but I decided to make our Arrival day our Resort Hop Day also. So now we plan on exploring the Contemporary, Grand Floridian, Polynesian and finish it off at the Art of Animation. I made dining reservations for Chef Mickeys and the California Grill, the rest of the day will be nothing but exploring. Anyway, the point is that there's so many things you can do on your Arrival Day that doesn't necessarily have to involve setting foot into the parks. :)

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The price of an extra day on a multi-day ticket is negligible -- so it's totally worth it to visit a park on arrival day if you wish, even if you're only going to get a couple of hours in.

My family is a pretty impatient group, so our modus operandi for an afternoon arrival is to check-in at the resort, spend half an hour unpacking, settling into our room and freshening up (we travel carryon-only and keep our bags with us -- if using DME luggage transfer, just keep your necessaries and a change of clothing in your "personal item" bag), grab some lunch or dinner at our resort's counter-service eatery if it's mealtime, and skip off to a park. I just don't think we could stand lounging by the pool or meandering around Disney Springs (f/k/a Downtown Disney) when we knew there were perfectly good parks with perfectly good attractions just a bus ride away! We don't stay late as we're generally planning on a rope drop arrival somewhere the next morning, but it feels wonderful just to go to the Magic Kingdom, walk down Main Street and say hello to a few old friends... er, I mean, attractions, to kick off the week and get us in the vacation frame of mind.

Doing a park for the first day can make for a long day (if we have to get up early to get to the airport), but we're running on adrenaline and as long as we get to bed at a decent time, we're good to go the next day.

Upvote 0

Crazydisneygirl

Depends how far you are traveling. Whenever I go we are up at 3am due to the flight/time difference. So we never go the first night. We get a ADR at the hotel. We arrive, get to hotel, unpack then have a nice dinner. Then we spend time at the resort and maybe go for a swim. If DD is close and you are up for it go for it.

Upvote 0
I've gone to the parks on arrival day on my past 2 trips to WDW and can say that it is totally possible to get everything you want to do accomplished...with lots of careful planning.
  • Step 1: Take advantage of the FastPass+ system. I would advise reserving your spot for Toy Story: Midway Mania/Aerosmith's Rock'n'Rollercoaster, The Tower of Terror and Star Tours/The Great Movie Ride.
  • Step 2: Make a dinner reservation ahead of time.
It's really that simple to accomplish everything you would want to at Hollywood Studios with all of the changes planned for the park in the upcoming years. My concern is that if you're flying in January you may be hit with unexpected weather delays which you can't really plan for ahead of time. If you get delayed for an hour or 2 at the airport I may see if the Magical Express could take your luggage to the hotel for you while you and your party grab a cab directly to the park. It will cost extra, but with what you paid for tickets it's a small price to pay for some insurance on your investment.

Upvote 0

andy773

It would cost some money, but you could also look into using Mears or one of the other transportation providers. I just checked Mears site and a van for six people would cost you $92.70 (plus a tip for the driver). Not cheap but not ridiculous either. The driver will be there waiting for you by baggage claim with a sign with your name on it. That way, you know there will not be a delay or the unknown of how many resorts you will have to stop at before you get dropped off.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom