Should we skip going to a park on our arrival day? HELP!

Okay guys, I need some help for those who have lots of experience visiting Disney World and who have used Magical Express.

We will be arriving at MCO on January 8th (Marathon weekend) at 3:33pm and using the Magical Express to get to POR. My hope was to go to Hollywood Studios and stay for the Extra Magic hour, giving us until 9pm at the park.

After hearing horror stories of how it could take 2 hours to just get to our hotel room from Magical Express (and that doesn't include waiting for our bus to leave!) and that also doesn't include the time for us to check into the hotel to find our room, get to HS, yada yada, I'm worried that we will get like an hour in the park by the time we arrive at HS.
Am I being overly paranoid or should we honestly skip trying to visit a park this first day and just do Downtown Disney?

If we are skipping, can I call Disney and beg them to take a day of tickets off our package since we won't use it? It would be such a waste it seems...I'm so bummed our flight gets in so late but my parents booked the flight without realizing how long Magical Express may take.

Please just tell me I'm being silly and we'll get at least a few hours in the park *gulp*.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Just take it as it comes. If you have time great, and if not just go to DD. I would plan for both and make your decision once you know how much time you have. I also would not schedule a TS restaurant so you won't have the stress of making that unless you make one really late. Maybe just plan on quick service for your meal that night. Don't stress because however it happens you will have somewhere or something to do. Oh and go ahead and make some FP+ for HS just in case and if you can't use them or miss them it's okay as that is free and won't affect anything. :)

Upvote 0

Foltzy

Agree with that.
If you have the available time, go for DHS, but If you only have two hours or so, skip it.
Just don't be surprised when your luggage shows up at midnight

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies! I guess I shouldn't worry so much and really should go with the flow! I've learned that because of the Extra Magic Hours HS will be extra crowded so I have changed to Epcot just in case...which should help a little. Hopefully we will get some time there.

Luggage showing up at midnight?! Wow! I hope that won't be the case...I'll definitely keep a pair of PJ's and my toothbrush in my carry-on just in case though!

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Thank you for your replies! I guess I shouldn't worry so much and really should go with the flow! I've learned that because of the Extra Magic Hours HS will be extra crowded so I have changed to Epcot just in case...which should help a little. Hopefully we will get some time there.

Luggage showing up at midnight?! Wow! I hope that won't be the case...I'll definitely keep a pair of PJ's and my toothbrush in my carry-on just in case though!

Oh and EMH at HS are usually not that crowded at all like people say it is. We always usually go to EMH nights at HS. We prefer them there actually. But whatever you choose you will be fine! :D

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Oh and EMH at HS are usually not that crowded at all like people say it is. We always usually go to EMH nights at HS. We prefer them there actually. But whatever you choose you will be fine! :D
Oh good to know! And I was thinking in January it wouldn't be too bad either...I just wasn't sure what to expect with Marathon weekend just starting.

It's my first time heading back to WDW since 2000 so everything is practically new to me. Waiting wasn't really as bad back in 2000. I think I waited 30-35 minutes for Splash Mountain during one of the busiest times and thought that was bad.
So this whole waiting for the Magical Express for hours has me freaked out a bit.

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

Going with the flow is one thing, but honestly it seems like a big waste to buy full-day tickets when, even with best-case scenarios, you'll only have a few hours in the parks. You'll be going from MCO to the Resort in the afternoon on a Friday, and if there's *any* kind of delay (plane departure, baggage, traffic), you cut into your already limited park time. That sounds horribly stressful. DTD or hanging out at the resort would be a much safer bet, and probably make for a more relaxing trip.

Upvote 0

sxeensweet

Oh good to know! And I was thinking in January it wouldn't be too bad either...I just wasn't sure what to expect with Marathon weekend just starting.

It's my first time heading back to WDW since 2000 so everything is practically new to me. Waiting wasn't really as bad back in 2000. I think I waited 30-35 minutes for Splash Mountain during one of the busiest times and thought that was bad.
So this whole waiting for the Magical Express for hours has me freaked out a bit.

Totally understand but you will be fine and everything will work out. But really do understand the over analyzing and worrying I'm horrible for that.
We usually go at "slower" times as well Oct-Dec and have been 5 times since
2008 and still always go to HS or any park on EMH evenings and find people really over exaggerate how busy EMH days are. We prefer them like I already mentioned. We do HS, Epcot, and MK on every one of their evening EMH nights while we are there. I can't speak for January during the marathons (have not been in January since 1998!) but usually January crowds are the lowest all year or with the marathons at least equivalent to when we go in the fall Oct-Dec. :D

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Going with the flow is one thing, but honestly it seems like a big waste to buy full-day tickets when, even with best-case scenarios, you'll only have a few hours in the parks. You'll be going from MCO to the Resort in the afternoon on a Friday, and if there's *any* kind of delay (plane departure, baggage, traffic), you cut into your already limited park time. That sounds horribly stressful. DTD or hanging out at the resort would be a much safer bet, and probably make for a more relaxing trip.

But if I booked a package for two rooms and already made payments on it is there even a way for me to call them up and ask them to take a day off everyone's tickets? I just didn't even know if this was possible without cancelling the entire package or something. I feel like every time I want to make a change they make me jump through hoops.

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Totally understand but you will be fine and everything will work out. But really do understand the over analyzing and worrying I'm horrible for that.
We usually go at "slower" times as well Oct-Dec and have been 5 times since
2008 and still always go to HS or any park on EMH evenings and find people really over exaggerate how busy EMH days are. We prefer them like I already mentioned. We do HS, Epcot, and MK on every one of their evening EMH nights while we are there. I can't speak for January during the marathons (have not been in January since 1998!) but usually January crowds are the lowest all year or with the marathons at least equivalent to when we go in the fall Oct-Dec. :D
Thank you...I do feel a lot better now! :D

Upvote 0

Chernaboggles

But if I booked a package for two rooms and already made payments on it is there even a way for me to call them up and ask them to take a day off everyone's tickets? I just didn't even know if this was possible without cancelling the entire package or something. I feel like every time I want to make a change they make me jump through hoops.

That part I don't know, you'd have to call and ask. I'm not trying to be Disney Downer here, this is really a matter of personal preference. If you plan to go to the parks on arrival day and buy tickets assuming you can, you're gambling a little because even your best case scenario only gives you about 4 hours at the parks. It's not a very wide margin of error, especially if you have a layover or will be flying from anywhere that's prone to winter storms. If you don't mind taking the risk and it won't ruin your trip to be worried about having enough time in the parks, keep the days. If you think it will stress you out the whole way or ruin things if a travel delay gets you to the hotel too late to hit the parks, ask about dropping the tickets and plan DTD instead.

As you point out, though, it may be better to take the risk than deal with the hassle of changing it. In any event, you'll have a great time - January is a fun time to go!

Upvote 0

StarfishAndStingrays

Original Poster
Sorry for not getting back to everyone's replies until now! But I feel so much more reassured now just being prepared to either get to visit the park or spend time in DTD depending on how long ME takes.
Knowing that the ticket is only $10 REALLY makes me feel even less guilty now so THANK YOU Bristol's Mom! Such AWESOME information that I didn't even think to do the math on!
I'll be sad if we lose that first evening, but it won't be the end of the world now...I'll at least be able to enjoy the ride on ME now instead of wishing they'd drive faster, hehe.

Upvote 0

Sonconato

Sorry for not getting back to everyone's replies until now! But I feel so much more reassured now just being prepared to either get to visit the park or spend time in DTD depending on how long ME takes.
Knowing that the ticket is only $10 REALLY makes me feel even less guilty now so THANK YOU Bristol's Mom! Such AWESOME information that I didn't even think to do the math on!
I'll be sad if we lose that first evening, but it won't be the end of the world now...I'll at least be able to enjoy the ride on ME now instead of wishing they'd drive faster, hehe.
I read through the earlier posts and agree with everything that is said. However, I did want to add some other thoughts beyond what was mentioned. If it were me, I wouldn't use the ticket for a part day, especially a few hours. But as you probably already know, there is a bit to do at Port Orleans in itself (assuming this is POR).

But in any case, if you haven't done so in the past, it can be fun visiting the other resorts as well. One, to see possible events and two, just to see the resort. Since you're visiting shortly after the Holidays, you might get to see some of the decorations in the resorts and how each tree is themed and perhaps the "large" ginger bread houses. It's another great way to see if you would consider staying there on a future trip. We are locals and my husband and son has visited every Disney Resort except Shades of Green. They loved doing it. They would do one each Friday night. The Boardwalk is always fun because you can see performers every half hour from around 7:00 pm to 10:00 pm. You can also rent Surrey Bikes or just bikes and ride around the lake or just take a nice walk. A lot of people often watch Epcot's fireworks from the bridge there as well. Animal Kingdom Lodge is another great resort to visit. Depending on when you get there, you may be able to see some of the animals, like giraffes, roaming behind the lodge. You could even consider having dinner at one of the other resorts that you might be interested in. Don't forget, you have 4 miniature golf courses you can go to as well. And of course, Downtown Disney (Disney Springs) is great as someone already mentioned. It does get busy there though.

All in all, there is plenty to do to fill at least a few hours. I think the only challenge that you might have is getting from one resort to the other. This you would have to discuss with the front desk to figure out the best way. There might be boats that you can take from some resorts so ask about that too. We haven't explored that but hope to some day.

Upvote 0

Graham9

It takes us over twenty hours to get from UK to WDW, that is my front door to hotel room. We are totally bushed by the time we get to the room, but will force ourselves to go to Downtown Disney for a coffee or whatever just to stay awake long enough as part of getting over jet-lag. If there is absolutely no choice but go into the parks else losing some of your ticket, then we would go into the parks, if only on principle (although we would be asleep on a bench somewhere :) )

We always plan ahead and from experience, we know what to do and what not to do, especially when it comes to arrival and leaving to come home, and maybe it would be a good idea to plan ahead time available and have a "Plan A" and a "Plan B" ready when things go awry.

If one thing Disney has taught me...plan ahead, but make contingency.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

We always take it easy the first day/night. We usually walk around our resort and the surrounding resorts (Swan & Dolphin, Boardwalk & YC BC). We like to unpack and take it easy on the first day, including going to bed early so that we can be up and ready to go the first day... The last time we went for 8 park days so it was OK that we didn't do anything the first night. Play it by ear. That's your best bet so you won't be disappointed!!! Oh, and have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom