Should we have an Official 'Halloween Horror Nights 25' thread

surfsupdon

Hi, we're there a week on Sunday. Are all the shops open in Diagon Alley?

When I was in the holding tank from 5-6 in Diagon Alley, yes everything was open, food, shop, ride! During the actual HHN event, Gringotts was open and only a limited number of shops in Diagon. Like a gift shop and the ice cream shop.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Night before last The leaky was open, got a shot of Fireball there.
When I was in the holding tank from 5-6 in Diagon Alley, yes everything was open, food, shop, ride! During the actual HHN event, Gringotts was open and only a limited number of shops in Diagon. Like a gift shop and the ice cream shop.

Thanks guys, we've not done Diagon Alley yet so are really looking forward to it. With shelling out for 2 AP's at Disney this year we decided against paying to visit Uni in the day and are just paying for Frequent Fear instead. Anything open in Diagon Alley is a bonus as we didn't expect it to be open at all.

matt clark

me and 5 other folks attended on Saturday the 10th!
overall we had a GREAT time.
the scare zones themselves were a bit of a let down overall for the exception of the areas from the simpsons on down to the entrance/exit.
that particular stretch was amazing.
with the fast pass we were able to do all of the houses, the mummy, escape from gringots, m.i.b., and the simpsons.
we did everything with about half an hour to spare and I would have done transformers, but I was just ready to buy my t-shirts and leave.
I didn't get back to my house until 3:50 AM. so it was a good choice.
one of the really cool things was that they had LEGIT 3xl shirts this year.
I ended up grabbing the glow in the dark zombie shirt and also bought the jack'd up shirt with all the houses on the back.
I only planned on buying 1 shirt, but I literally wanted 5 from Halloween store attached to twister.
So to actually only leave with 2 items was a win lol.
the scare zones I think lost a bit of value due to going to howl o screams more often now at Busch Gardens.
their scare zones are a bit better because they have more winding paths and bushes etc. for the actors to hide in.
I think BG has the better scare zones vs. Universal obviously having the better houses.
the bill and ted show was ABSOLUTELY AWESOME. the Disney world jokes had me laughing out loud.
I missed the jack show.. I will watch it at lunch today on youtube.
it was about 12 and I had 4 houses still to go and I for some reason though it ended at 3am and not 2am.
once I heard it was 2 we skipped the last show :(

im going to rank my houses below and I may actually take a bit of a hit for this.
I DID get in the park right when the gates opened early... around 6:15... so they may not have been on top of their game or something, but my rankings sort of differ from what ive seen on here.

there may be a few small spoiler in here, so beware... nothing major.
I will say this.. Im not really a scared type of person.
I enjoy these events to see the ladies I am with get frightened etc.
what I do like Is when im surprised and I jump or flinch.
the first year walking dead was done at HHN was the last time I went and I only had two moments of the jitters.
it was a bit of a let down... this year I flinched at LEAST a dozen times.
most people were on top of their games once the time rolled around 8pm till close.

#1 house... freddy vs. Jason.
this house was just done awesome!
the visuals were great.
the actors were GREAT!
the only knock I have was the timing.
I didn't actually see the final scene as I was rushed through the end scenes.
the two part I caught on the screens were great though.
one other bit of timing issue was that TWO freddys popped out at us simultaneously and it messed up the random effect that was supposed to take place in the mirror room.
even though I was only surprised or startled once in this house the visuals, scenes, effort, etc. was by far the best.

#2 house... Body collectors.
the actors in this house were on TOP of their game.
off the top of my head I was startled 2 or 3 times.
this house also gets high marks for having the BEST scene IMO.
you come into a room and you see an actors face and when you come around the bend you can see that another actor is ripping
out the spinal cord like some mortal kombat fatality.
that scene was AMAZING and really stuck out to me.
the only knock I had was that some of the rooms were too open.

#3 house... insidious
this one was the house where I had a lot of jumpy moments.
actors were on point AGAIN in this house.
the ONE knock I have on this house was that there were two or maybe three rooms with 0 actors in them.
im not sure if that was normal or not.
the room like in the church with the people with coverings over their heads was AWESOME...
but there was nobody under any of them... and if there were they never popped up.
this was a busy night too and the line through the house was moving slow... maybe someone called in sick??

#4 house... the walking dead.

we REALLY expected this house to be GREAT.
we probably put too high of expectations on it.
the zombie actors sort of threw us off in some houses because they moved like... well... not zombies.
not jerky motions.. they were fluid and they kind of jumped and ran fast...
it kind of messed up the vibe of the show to me.
another issue was that a lot of the scenes were set back too far or they were wayyyy too close.
it really lacked the element of surprise.
there was only one spot in the whole house I flinched and it was not to the credit of the actor as much as it was me
looking for detail back in the room and I turned around and the guy happened to be right in my face.
I was also let down in the outside theming.
I mentioned before that my last trip to HHN was the first year they had walking dead and all of the outside was done up and looked awesome.
this year you kind of just walked up to soundstage...booooo.

after those 4 the quality of the houses or actors realllly started to fall off for me. all the remaining houses had one of the key aspects really lacking.

#5 Asylum in wonderland 3-d
the visuals in the house were AWESOME!
I loved the glow paint and the 3-d.
the actors were just downright AWFUL in this house.
the house itself is an extreme rip off of the clown 3-d house at howl o screams.
the one at howl o screams is their BEST house... but you mainly just walk around in this one and see cool visuals.
it wasn't scary AT ALL. 0 scares. the house gets extra points for another aspect they ripped off from howl o screams... the spinning tunnel.

#6 the purge.
this was another house that oddly had two rooms with 0 actors.
that part was just irritating.
when there WERE actors they were mostly doing GREAT.
but again.. I may have only been surprised once in this one.
some of the rooms were too wide open again and no room for scares.
this one gets a few bonus points with me for the air pushing guns.
that was kind of cool, but it was overdone 3 or even 4 times.
I really like the purge concept more even than the movies and like the movies I felt like the house didn't live up to its potential.

#7 house... RUN.
there was nothing particularly bad about this one.. but also nothing really good.
the first room where you are being prepped to run was actually really cool.
the rest of the house was kind of random and it wasn't very scary.
no standout scenes... it was what it was.

#8 house.. 25 years monsters mayhem.
the actors were TERRIBLE in this house.
this was the first house we did though....
I literally almost did this one AGAIN on the way out without the fast pass because people said it was good.
at least 4 rooms with 0 actors in it.
the sideways walking ship scene stuck out to me because it was bland, boring, no actors... completely stupid.
I don't even see where there was an opportunity to be scared at all in it.
it gets a slight bump for being arguably the LONGEST house.
I asked one of the workers how many rooms were left at one point and he said 3....
so if you go you'll know at what point I was literally BORED.

#9 house... An American Werewolf.
I visited each house in order from the entrance in a big circle....
so one of the main things that knocked this house WAY down for me was that it seemed like a 30 second house
after we did the long 25 year house... this is by far the shortest house of all 9.
the puppets were terrible. almost the whole house is puppets.. that you see coming.
the funniest.. most ironic thing about this house.. in the second to last room of the house there is a TON of fog.
one of the annoying employees dressed in black scared the JUNK out of me.. more than ANY of the scareactors in any of the houses.
I almost fell backwards... then I immediately caught myself stumbled forward into the last room and the police officer with the air push rifle jumps right in front of my face and shoots the puppet for a scare combo. that scared me the most because I was looking at the puppet. so oddly enough the house I disliked the most had the best scare of the night for me via a worker actor combo.
that just tells you how bad the set designs and puppets were though for the rest of the house.. and how short it was.

even though my review is a bit critical... it was WAYYY better than the first year they did walking dead OVERALL.
even though the side of universal that has harry potter had WEAK scare zones the ones on the opposite side of the park were AMAZING. The souvenirs this year were 5 star. overall id give the night a 7.5 out of 10.

one final knock I will give the experience was the over abundance of STAFF... my goodness.
it may be because I was on a peak night Saturday but a staff member in EVERY room/scene hurrying you along was upsetting.
every 3 rooms or so would have been fine... but not EVERY room.
I also had a staff member cut me in line and tap a clicker through two houses and it took a bit away from the experience too.
I enjoy seeing the people in front of me get scared.. not seeing some staff member walk through carelessly with a clicker.
there has to be a better way of crowd control.

JT3000

#5 Asylum in wonderland 3-d
the visuals in the house were AWESOME!
I loved the glow paint and the 3-d.
the actors were just downright AWFUL in this house.
the house itself is an extreme rip off of the clown 3-d house at howl o screams.
the one at howl o screams is their BEST house... but you mainly just walk around in this one and see cool visuals.
it wasn't scary AT ALL. 0 scares. the house gets extra points for another aspect they ripped off from howl o screams... the spinning tunnel.

They didn't "rip off" HOS. Universal, along with plenty of other haunts, have been doing these things for years, long before HOS even existed. It doesn't get much more old hat than a 3D house or a spinning tunnel.

that just tells you how bad the set designs and puppets were though for the rest of the house.. and how short it was.

You're welcome to your opinion, but I certainly wouldn't call AWIL's sets or puppets bad. It's also no shorter than any other house, minus 25 Years.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Well guys we made our first visit to this year's HHN last night and really enjoyed ourselves. Mrs Merg decided to wear her 'I aint afraid of no ghost' slogan Ghostbusters t-shirt as she thought it would suit the theme. What it did appear to do was get more attention in the scarezones from the scareactors than last year, I don't think she'll wear it there again on our further visits this year.

Loved the fact Diagon Alley was open this year as we'd not seen it before and I rode Gringotts with barely a 10 minute wait. We did Bone Collectors, Asylum and AWIL, saw The Jack Show and rode Gringotts, MIB, The Mummy and Transformers.

One complaint though about AWIL. When we first entered the first two rooms were pitch black and I mean pitch black. I couldn't see a thing and walked painfully into a wall twice and caught my face on the frame of the door since I was 'blind'. Couldn't work out whether it was our eyesight being not up to scratch or deliberately designed to be like this? It felt rather dangerous anyway and wasn't the best start to the night.

Last edited:

JT3000

One complaint though about AWIL. When we first entered the first two rooms were pitch black and I mean pitch black. I couldn't see a thing and walked painfully into a wall twice and caught my face on the frame of the door since I was 'blind'. Couldn't work out whether it was our eyesight being not up to scratch or deliberately designed to be like this? It felt rather dangerous anyway and wasn't the best start to the night.

Was it still light out? Perhaps your eyes hadn't adjusted. I recommend going through either Run or Asylum to start the night, as the former is naturally lit (the structure has no walls) and the latter is indoors but relatively bright. Some people think this ruins the Disaster house (Run), but it's not like there's ever a line at that point anyway. Both of these houses are virtual walk-ins for the first hour or so.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Went again last night and had a great night. We were queuing to get in from about 5 so were right at the front, after passing through security we waited and they let us all in at 6:05. Straight to The Walking Dead and just a 5 minute wait, following that was The Purge and again just a 5 miinute wait. Sinister beckoned us next and at this time there was a 25 minute wait posted though in reality it was just under 20 and gave us the opportunity to have a drink in line.

Then a ride on MIB (Mrs Merg loves this) and it was practically walk on. Off to Diagon Alley and just walked straight onto Gringotts (there's a theme developing here). Run was next and was signposted as 10 mins yet in reallity was under 5 mins and finally we did Freddy Vs Jason which was just a 25 minute wait too. All this done through normal standby lines and it wasn't even 8:30 yet!

A few scare zones were visited and then we had the longest wait of the night, Cowfish. They said there was a 20 minute wait for a table but in fact it was about 40 minutes. Then the waiter got our drinks and said he'd be back in 5 and we didn't see him for another 20 minutes. After ordering our food it then took about 20 minutes to come. It's a great place but they really need to look at their time management. I'm guessing they work on the basis that many guests at Cowfish are one off visitors so don't see much point in paying more staff to speed up the process for the customers? For instance whilst we waited for our table upstairs there were numerous empty tables yet nobody seemed to be bothered getting those waiting onto one. It's very frustrating to those waiting and the staff seemed to deliberately not look towards you as if they knew how frustrating it was but couldn't do anything about it. Our waiter did exxplain and apologise for taking 20 minutes to get baack to us for our order citing a problem table where all 8 guests wanted billing individually with some paying cash and some using credit cards, followed by credit cards being declined etc. All well and good however us sitting there being ignored for so long unaware of this problem wasn't very good customer service. The food however was fantastic.

danpam1024

we just got back - did HHN on Oct 15 (thurs with EP). It was pretty fun, I especially enjoyed the scare zones this year- the mental patients were very entertaining. Insidious was the best house IMO by far. Walking Dead was the absolute WORST (and I am such a HUGE FAN). It was SO DARK that I pretty much couldn't see anything at all- not even the scare actors. And I tripped over the power strip covers a dozen times (that was scary). We go to do everything we wanted, the crowds were pretty tame. The "Jack'd" drink was gross- tasted like someone poured cider in listerine :hungover:. I did complete an extensive survey about HHN when I got home- there were a LOT of questions about TWD. My responses were to move on. ** I also have really had enough of clowns with chainsaws.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Now it's over I can reveal a spoiler from 'The Purge' house (sure it was that one). As my wife and I turned a corner in the house a young lady said to us "My boyfriends gone ahead without me, can I walk with you guys?". Of course I said "Yes, sure" (well she was very pretty) so we continued through with her just in front of us. About 15 seconds later a scareactor leaps out and grabs her pulling her right into him and repeatedly stabs her and drags her screaming away with him. Congratulations whoever came up with that gimmick, really took us by surprise :cool:

JoeCamel

Now it's over I can reveal a spoiler from 'The Purge' house (sure it was that one). As my wife and I turned a corner in the house a young lady said to us "My boyfriends gone ahead without me, can I walk with you guys?". Of course I said "Yes, sure" (well she was very pretty) so we continued through with her just in front of us. About 15 seconds later a scareactor leaps out and grabs her pulling her right into him and repeatedly stabs her and drags her screaming away with him. Congratulations whoever came up with that gimmick, really took us by surprise :cool:

Had the same thing happen last Sunday, I saw where she came from so I knew what was up but to see someone get purged right in front of you is very cool.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Had the same thing happen last Sunday, I saw where she came from so I knew what was up but to see someone get purged right in front of you is very cool.

Yes it was very good. Really enjoyed the event this year. We went three times and easily managed to do all houses without paying for express passes. Was also very impressed with Diagon Alley being open as we'd never visited it before and the place was virtually deserted. Did Gringrotts twice with next to no wait both times along with all the other rides open in the park. Without doubt the asylum based scare zone was our favourite, some great actors there interacting with guests and making it really fun.

JoeCamel

Yes it was very good. Really enjoyed the event this year. We went three times and easily managed to do all houses without paying for express passes. Was also very impressed with Diagon Alley being open as we'd never visited it before and the place was virtually deserted. Did Gringrotts twice with next to no wait both times along with all the other rides open in the park. Without doubt the asylum based scare zone was our favourite, some great actors there interacting with guests and making it really fun.

See you at HHN 2016!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom