Should we have an Official 'Halloween Horror Nights 25' thread

mergatroid

Original Poster
Depending when you are here, every other weekend they do a midnight showing of the full movie with cast at the Universal AMC. If you're a fan, highly recommend that option.

Ah yes, 'The Rich Weirdos'. We were going to go last year but the night we'd planned I became unwell so missed it. Will probably try again this year in October, will have to persuade Mrs Merg to wear her stockings and garter belt that night.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Been nearly 2 weeks since the first official house reveal of 'Freddy vs Jason'. I thought last year it was one a week so can't understand why it's been nearly two weeks this time?

JT3000

They still have plenty of time, especially since the original houses probably won't have their own separate announcements. They only care about marketing the IPs these days.

It would be nice if we got an interactive website leading up to the event, like in the old days, but you know that ain't happening.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Original Poster
They still have plenty of time, especially since the original houses probably won't have their own separate announcements. They only care about marketing the IPs these days.

It would be nice if we got an interactive website leading up to the event, like in the old days, but you know that ain't happening.

Well they have this one which last year announced each house release individually with it's own page for each house

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/

JT3000

Well they have this one which last year announced each house release individually with it's own page for each house

http://www.halloweenhorrornights.com/orlando/

They give each attraction its own page, but all of the originals were announced at the same time, after they had finished announcing all the IPs one-by-one. Of course, it used to be pretty typical to announce everything all at once towards the end of August, but they were actually putting effort into the website back then in order to build anticipation. Now the announcements themselves are all anyone has to look forward to.

mergatroid

Original Poster
Taking their time officially releasing the houses this year. Must be 3-4 weeks since the first announcement and then nothing, really strange :mad:

surfsupdon

Will Undercover Tourist have any discount HHN tickets? Or are there any discounts available for HHN? This will be my first HHN trip, after an awesome Universal trip last January!! Already booked at Royal Pacific.

SpectroPhoenix

Hey everyone! I tried HHN for the first time a couple years ago when they had Cabin In The Woods. As enjoyable as that house was, the park was entirely too crowded for the night to be fun. Waiting in line for 1.5 hours for each house sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Any suggestions for when is the best time to go? We went on a Sunday last time hoping that that would shorten the lines, no luck.

Thanks!

JT3000

Hey everyone! I tried HHN for the first time a couple years ago when they had Cabin In The Woods. As enjoyable as that house was, the park was entirely too crowded for the night to be fun. Waiting in line for 1.5 hours for each house sort of left a bad taste in my mouth.

Any suggestions for when is the best time to go? We went on a Sunday last time hoping that that would shorten the lines, no luck.

Thanks!

As early into the event's run as possible. Thursdays and Sundays are considered non-peak nights. It only gets worse from there. And don't be fooled into going on the later weeks where the event runs on Wednesdays. Those are called Hell Week, and the event is open an extra day for a reason.

mergatroid

Original Poster

Thanks!

We got a frequent fear pass last year (and have one for this) which allowed us multiple visits, mostly Sundays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. We arrived at 5pm each visit to start queuing so we're near the front when the park opened around 6:20-6:30. Upon opening it was fairly easy to find a house with no wait followed by another. Exceptions were Walking Dead and Halloween which we waited about 45 mins for right after opening due to stay and scream ticket holders and express pass holders.

Last edited:

71jason

Thanks!

Thoughts based on a decade and a half of HHN visits:
  • Earlier in the event better than later in the event (Halloween night itself the one possible exception this year*)
  • The earlier you arrive, the better it will be. Generally heavy crowds don't arrive until after 8. If at all possible, do the "stay & scream" option that let's you stay in the park after day closing and gives you an early jump on HHN.
  • Thursday is easily the best night. Friday is surprisingly not bad IF you get there at opening. Until 8 it's relatively quiet, you can probably hit the majority of houses by then if you're inside at 6. Despite being labeled an "off-peak" night**, Sunday is the second worst night behind Saturday--crowded from the get-go with Annual Passholders. Saturday is horrible (again, Halloween night a possible exception). Wednesdays used to be bad, worse than Fridays but still tolerable up until 8. But that was when every Wednesday was a a school holiday. This year, the first two Wednesdays in October are new for the event, may be equivalent to Thursdays.
  • Any night, the popular houses easily go to 90 minutes. Do what you can to find out what those will be and knock them out first.
* Halloween 2015 falls on a Saturday. Every bar in town will be doing a costume contest that night, some with huge prizes. Families with young children will take them trick-or-treating. A lot of people will throw parties. That should keep the HHN crowds reasonable. The Saturday before, however, will probably see capacity crowds if I had to guess.

** 5+ years ago, Sunday was pretty slow--this is a recent phenomenon.

BrerJon

Yikes, I always follow a touring plan so never wait that long. We always say the advantage of Disney over Universal is you don't need to pre-plan, but HHN is the exception. It's insane to go in without a plan of attack or you'll be waiting in lines for hours.

Express is ideal, and don't go on a weekend - try a Thursday - but if you don't want to shell out for Express, try a touring strategy. I took a few friends and we saved a ton by following a plan and got loads done.

First of all, make sure you're in the park (assuming you have an AP/day tickets) and go to the holding area outside Finnegans an hour or so before the event. They will let you into one of the soundstage houses early, and you will have done that before anyone else is even in the park. Then do the next soundstage house, by which time everything is open. Cut across to Kidzone (you may be held by a rope if it's not open yet, so just wait and be the first past that when it does - if possible I always used to cut through Gardens of Allah for an even shorter shortcut too) and you can do the houses there before they get too busy.

Do that and you can do five or six easily in the first hour, then line up for whatever has the shortest, and leave the very long lines until the end of the night when they tend to shorten. At peak time, when everything's 100 minutes, see Bill & Ted.

If you're there for several nights and on a budget, a touring plan like that coupled with a Frequent Fear pass will give you plenty of time to see it all and repeat favourite houses without having to buy Express.

SpectroPhoenix

I really appreciate all of the advice! I'll definitely do some research on my options. Unfortunately due to work, Sunday would be the best for my schedule, so my current goal is to go September 27th. Do you think that's still early enough in the season for relatively short lines? I will look into one of the touring plans this time around for sure.

JoeCamel

I really appreciate all of the advice! I'll definitely do some research on my options. Unfortunately due to work, Sunday would be the best for my schedule, so my current goal is to go September 27th. Do you think that's still early enough in the season for relatively short lines? I will look into one of the touring plans this time around for sure.

See ya' there

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom