Should Naruto Come to Epcot?

Fantasmicguy

Original Poster
I feel that if Elsa and Friends can turn Norway into Arendale i feel Naruto and and friends can turn Japan into The Village Hidden in The Leaves.Its based off of Japanese culture this means its a good enough fit.

Last edited:

tigger1968

My thought is that not enough mainstream guests would have any clue who or what that is. While Disney owns it and it's very popular, it certainly does not have near the appeal of Frozen. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, who actually owns an anime convention, and she basically said the same thing. Her take on it is that Disney is doing pretty well on the types and amounts of merchandising they offer that is anime related at the Japan pavilion. No need to try to push things further.

Fantasmicguy

Original Poster
My thought is that not enough mainstream guests would have any clue who or what that is. While Disney owns it and it's very popular, it certainly does not have near the appeal of Frozen. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, who actually owns an anime convention, and she basically said the same thing. Her take on it is that Disney is doing pretty well on the types and amounts of merchandising they offer that is anime related at the Japan pavilion. No need to try to push things further.
Fair enough.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, they did have Sora out during 2004's Not So Scary Halloween Party for the Release of KH: Chain of Memories..I was lucky to be there during that day when I got my pictures taken with them..It was the first and last time he was there..
tumblr_l0zrkwihY31qaqojyo1_500.png

Can we go yet?

If anything Anime we should have Studio Ghibli! Disney is involved in the company! Most people have at least heard of Spirited Away. Imagine a ride that goes from the forest in Princess Mononoke to the sky battles in Nausicaa, to the bathhouse and soaring in the sky with Haku the dragon! Have the dvds at the exit shop and guests can purchase one and sell their souls to the Japanese industry. :p

AndyS2992

In regards to Naruto specifically I disagree with most of what you said. Even if mainstream guests do not watch anime they will have heard of Naruto, especially older kids, teenagers and young adults. Naruto I believe is the second biggest selling anime/manga series of all time. The TV show has aired on Jetix, Disney XD, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Toonami, NeonAlley, YTV, Teletoon, the DVDs can be found in any good DVD store and the graphic novels can be found in any good bookstore. Naruto merchandise can be found anywhere as it has such a huge following.

While I agree Frozen will have a bigger appeal than Naruto at WDW, outside the parks Naruto kills Frozen in terms of fans and total money made around the World.

Also Disney does not own Naruto, it is owned by Shueisha publishing Japan And licensed in the US by Viz Media. Disney is not involved. Viz did give the broadcast license to Disney for Jetix and Disney XD but that is all. Even then it was short lived.

But yes, the huge amount of anime merchandise in the store and the anime history exhibit is more than enough. :)

Last edited:

Can we go yet?

Disney XD actually now longer owns the rights to the series. I guess it was to violent for coming on at 7 pm. It now airs on Cartoon network's anime block Toonami.

tigger1968

I stand corrected on the ownership aspect for Naruto I put forth in my original post. I'm not into anime and didn't research my answer, by which I mean asking my girlfriend :rolleyes: , who is deeply involved in it as a fan and as a business owner. However, I am still sticking to my original point. I know anime is a huge thing world wide, but my response was in reference to Naruto vs Frozen at the Japan Pavilion. Anime is simply too wide a genre. There are tons of styles and series. I don't think selecting one series or character would work.

A celebration of the genre as a whole would be a cool thing to see though, and they are doing just that. The Bijutsu-kan Gallery there is currently showing an exhibit about the origins of anime and where some of the major stories and characters came from (including Naruto). It's a very cool exhibit. Like I said, I am not an anime guy, and I found it highly informative. And the amount and variety of merchandise they offer in the store there is absolutely ridiculous. :)

Figaro928

I have no idea who or what Naruto is. But if the anime crowd gets Japan... can the the sci-fi people get some Doctor Who in England? just saying....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom