Should I switch?

21stamps

Original Poster
Currently booked at GF theme park view 4 nights AKL savanna view 3 nights. Thanksgiving weekend and following week. .

Debating on switching GF to one of them, or AKL to the latter 2..all of these were sold out previously.

The Contemporary (theme park view)

Or

Boulder Ridge Villas (WL is sold out)

Or

Ft Wilderness Cabin. (Would rent a golf cart)

I worry about Boulder Ridge because of the view or lack of...I guess ft Wilderness has the same problem technically.lol
I worry about the crowded/noisy lobby at CR, as well as multiple security checks when taking monorail to dine at Poly and GF.

What would you do?

ET

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
IMO, I wouldn't change anything.

I originally had CR booked last year, switched to GF. I keep thinking that my kid will love it, but it seems less convenient than Poly or GF for dining.

What about Boulder Ridge? Would you replace AKL with that?

CaptainAmerica

I really really hate split stays, so I'd switch but not to any of the other-split-stay options you laid out.

Is Copper Creek available? I'd check that out for the sake of staying in something brandy new.

21stamps

Original Poster
I really really hate split stays, so I'd switch but not to any of the other-split-stay options you laid out.

Is Copper Creek available? I'd check that out for the sake of staying in something brandy new.

I'm doing the split stay intentionally. I want kiddo to experience a different resort.. but I need half the trip to be in the MK area.

Copper Creek was available, but you can't pick a view... the benefit of Boulder Ridge is the extra fireplaces and the community room. I think the building gets locked after dark. Someone let us in last time for our hidden Mickey hunt.

21stamps

Original Poster
It's the GOAT. Miles better than the GF IMHO.

I'm not hip enough to know what GOAT is..lol. Do you know what my kid's favorite part of GF was? The ping pong table and foosball table (and chocolates but that's not a factor)
He enjoyed the slide, but said it's not as good as the volcano slide- another reason I'm hesitant on the Contemporary.

CaptainAmerica

I'm not hip enough to know what GOAT is..lol. Do you know what my kid's favorite part of GF was? The ping pong table and foosball table (and chocolates but that's not a factor)
The Jambo House ping pong table is within sight of giraffes. Greatest Of All Time.

He enjoyed the slide, but said it's not as good as the volcano slide- another reason I'm hesitant on the Contemporary.
Totally agree. The Contemporary is boring for kids. I don't think there's any reason to stay there over the Grand or the Poly.

CaptainAmerica

Another thing, be careful what you consider the "Magic Kingdom area." Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness are physically close to the Magic Kingdom but by the time you wait for a boat and actually ride the boat, it's not really any faster than a bus from Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Boats are neat, but they're slow.

21stamps

Original Poster

Ha shut up. We aren't going in 2018, and after that we'll stay at the Epcot resorts primarily, maybe split with a few days at Poly though.lol

We will be doing 3 half MK days including MVMCP, I need the convenience of the monorail or boat. I'd also like a fireworks view from the room...but I thought the wildernessishness(?) of FW or WL may make up for that. We could still see the EWP.

The Jambo House ping pong table is within sight of giraffes. Greatest Of All Time.

Totally agree. The Contemporary is boring for kids. I don't think there's any reason to stay there over the Grand or the Poly.

Oh AKL has ping pong! Awesome! Ok that makes me feel better. Any foosball or other games?

CaptainAmerica

We will be doing 3 half MK days including MVMCP, I need the convenience of the monorail or boat. I'd also like a fireworks view from the room...but I thought the wildernessishness(?) of FW or WL may make up for that. We could still see the EWP.
See my post above. The boat is decidedly less convenient than a bus. I'll grant that the monorail is the most convenient of all but the boat is just a gimmick. It doesn't save you any time.

21stamps

Original Poster
See my post above. The boat is decidedly less convenient than a bus. I'll grant that the monorail is the most convenient of all but the boat is just a gimmick. It doesn't save you any time.

Wait.. I just looked up my photos.. Now, admittedly a boat came within 3 minutes of us arriving to the dock.. but look at the times..

Just got on launch at WL-

IMG_0094.jpg

Swiping MB at turnstile after standing in line..

IMG_0095.jpg

That's pretty efficient, right? I thought AKL would be much longer.

CaptainAmerica

Wait.. I just looked up my photos.. Now, admittedly a boat came within 3 minutes of us arriving to the dock.. but look at the times..

View attachment 208568

View attachment 208569

My biggest negatives about the boats are at certain peak times, specifically leaving the Magic Kingdom at lunch time, dinner time, closing time, or, in your case, Halloween Party time.

I may have exaggerated a tad bit. My main point is that the boats aren't necessarily the huge benefit you might imagine. But they're not much of a detriment either. FWIW, the Fort Wilderness cabins are my second favorite resort, but I'm poorer than you.

21stamps

Original Poster
My biggest negatives about the boats are at certain peak times, specifically leaving the Magic Kingdom at lunch time, dinner time, closing time, or, in your case, Halloween Party time.

I may have exaggerated a tad bit. My main point is that the boats aren't necessarily the huge benefit you might imagine. But they're not much of a detriment either. FWIW, the Fort Wilderness cabins are my second favorite resort, but I'm poorer than you.

I'm going 11/25-12/3. Christmas Party time.. but I know what you mean.

And shut up on the poor part. I don't care about "category" of resort.. more about location/size/amenities. I'd choose POFQ over Saratoga Springs every time if I had to.

If @MySmallWorldof4 would ever start her trip report I'd love to see more about the cabins and FW in general.

21stamps

Original Poster
Does Ft Wilderness have room service? Or is there a place close by where I can order take out for breakfast?

MySmallWorldof4

View attachment 208568

View attachment 208569

I wouldn't stay at CR. It is really hectic there. Bay Lake Tower on the other hand is quiet. I have a picture of the pool area. I will post what pics I have. They are on my phone though, so give me a few.
We didn't have any transport issues with FW with the boat. We never waited too long for one and I love that the security is right when you get off the boat so with so few people on it it went super fast, like 30 seconds. Yes, we were the first off.;) But it was never ever crowded anyway. I love the GF. It is very peaceful. Poly is a little more busy in my opinion but not as bad as CR. You do need a golf cart for FW if you really want to enjoy it. I will be starting my trip report. It has just been a hectic week and change since we've been back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom