Should I purchase TIW?

JohnD

Original Poster
I'll be at WDW for a week (9/17 - 9/24) and will have ADRs throughout the week.

Would the discounts during the week be enough to at least break even on the $150 cost?

danyoung56

You are the only one who can answer that. Are you eating at a bunch of table service places? Do you drink alcohol? You can easily make a TiW membership pay for itself in a week. But if you don't eat at places that take advantage of it, you're just throwing money away.

Also, if you book things right, you can get another trip in next year before the card expires, and enjoy even more savings.

JohnD

Original Poster
You are the only one who can answer that. Are you eating at a bunch of table service places? Do you drink alcohol? You can easily make a TiW membership pay for itself in a week. But if you don't eat at places that take advantage of it, you're just throwing money away.

Also, if you book things right, you can get another trip in next year before the card expires, and enjoy even more savings.

Here are the ADRs:

Kona Cafe Lunch
Date: Sunday, September 17, 2017
Time: 2:00 PM

50's Prime Time Cafe Lunch
Date: Monday, September 18, 2017
Time: 12:35 PM

Donald's Dining Safari Breakfast at Tusker House Restaurant - ROL 1st Viewing
Date: Tuesday, September 19, 2017
Time: 10:50 AM

Grand Floridian Cafe Dinner (30% on food as AP, Would get 30% on food and alcohol with TIW)
Date: Wednesday, September 20, 2017
Time: 5:35 PM

Spice Road Table Dinner at Morocco
Date: Thursday, September 21, 2017
Time: 8:00 PM

Boma - Flavors of Africa Breakfast
Date: Saturday, September 23, 2017
Time: 8:25 AM

Narcoossee's Waterfront Brunch
Date: Sunday, September 24, 2017
Time: 9:30 AM

danyoung56

Again, you're the only one who can do the math. You have to spend what would have cost you $750 without the card to break even. Are there other people in your party? When you look at the menus, can you come up with a dollar amount and then total it up for the week? You could be spending over $200 for one meal, or just $30 or less. You're the only one who knows how much will be spent.

Phonedave

@danyoung56 pretty much nailed it. It's not a complicated analysis. If you spend more than $750 on items that are elegible for the discount, then you save.

All depends on what you are going ot order, and how many people are in your party.

Honestly, for one person to spend $750 in one week is a lot of eating and drinking.

-dave

correcaminos

I think I have my answer. Thanks.
Just be sure to calculate in any discounts you may receive if you are a DVC or AP holder. For us TIW doesn't add up as we need more spent on food to pay for it. We don't do much alcohol at restaurants and this year our AP/DVC discounts were equal to TIW for the places we went.

JohnD

Original Poster
Just be sure to calculate in any discounts you may receive if you are a DVC or AP holder. For us TIW doesn't add up as we need more spent on food to pay for it. We don't do much alcohol at restaurants and this year our AP/DVC discounts were equal to TIW for the places we went.

I do drink alcohol but don't want to go crazy! I have one ADR at 5:30 for Grand Floridian Cafe before hopping into MK to see HEA (with a dessert party). So, I would get a 30% discount there on alcohol with TIW. As others have stated, not counting GFC, in general I would need tabs totaling $750 (before discount) to save 20%, or $150 back to break even. I have seven ADRs. That's equivalent to $107 per ADR.

I think I'll just rely on my AP discount and leave it at that.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Yes, it is a must! At least I think so. It paid for itself in two meals. We also love drinking and order apps and entrees and dessert!

jmrdv

Here are the ADRs:

Kona Cafe Lunch

Grand Floridian Cafe Dinner (30% on food as AP, Would get 30% on food and alcohol with TIW)

Note - do yourself a favor and look at the new menu for the Kona Cafe. All of our favorites are gone and the new menu ( at least to us) is unappealing. I hope they realize the mistake and put some real food back on the lunch menu.

JohnD

Original Poster
Note - do yourself a favor and look at the new menu for the Kona Cafe. All of our favorites are gone and the new menu ( at least to us) is unappealing. I hope they realize the mistake and put some real food back on the lunch menu.

I did. Chef Mickey's opened up so I took it. I know, you don't go there for the food anyway. But it must be experienced at least once, right?

MickeyMomV

Is this your only trip? If you are a AP holder I hope your going more than just this once and that way the expense of the TiW can be spread out over multiple trips.

JohnD

Original Poster
Is this your only trip? If you are a AP holder I hope your going more than just this once and that way the expense of the TiW can be spread out over multiple trips.

This may be my only trip this year. (In the Spring I went to Israel with a group. Wonderful experience). Because I had a Spring trip out of the country, that leaves only one trip to WDW in the fall. Next year will possibly be only one trip also in the fall after the opening of TSL.

Still, I get various AP discounts, including the 20% off at certain restaurants for the 45th anniversary.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

REGARDLESS of "how many trips".... your break even point for TIW is about $750. You MAY travel with larger parties.... you MAY prefer SIG Dining every night. Everyone has a different situation :).

We have been TIW members for close to 12 years.... but we are a retired couple that prefers a SIG every evening, 16 nights per year :).
Work out your return, TIW vs DDP vs OOP. It's the only way for a particular person to evaluate this space.....

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'll be at WDW for a week (9/17 - 9/24) and will have ADRs throughout the week.

Would the discounts during the week be enough to at least break even on the $150 cost?

Yes. I gather you've purchased an AP? Which means you'll be visiting more frequently. The TiW card is good for 13 months. But there are blackouts - holidays, including Mother's Day. Not sure how long the increased AP discount will last, but 18% off our beer tab at Biergarten will always be a deal.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Here are the ADRs:

Kona Cafe Lunch

Those are all great dining choices. We had a ROL dining package breakfast at Tusker House. The juice is amazing - told our server to save himself the effort and just leave the carafe on the table - I think we each drank 4 glasses of it. Just about everything is good, except for the grits. They were awful, tasted like vegan grits. :hungover: How can you mess up grits in the South? Not sure if your server will tell you this, but you need to show up 30 minutes before showtime for RoL - the entrance is over by the theatre showing Nemo. It's an amazing show.

If you like pasta, the selection on the GF Cafe's menu is excellent.

And get the fried chicken at Prime Time. It's as good as that place down near FAMU.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom