Should I make another trip to Disney this year or wait?

scarpozzi

I've got 2 kids, ages 3.5 and 5...I live 10 hours away from Orlando. We took them to WDW 5 times in the last year due to conferences and races (marathon/princess weekend).

I was able to secure a reservation for 7 nights and free dining when my 5 year old's Fall Break lands the first week of October and I've got another reservation for the week before Christmas. Should I cancel those trips? Financially, we could do it, but it really seems like overkill and the kids may not appreciate the place as much since we were there once a month for 6 months.

I don't want my kids to get burned out, but also don't want to miss an opportunity to spend time with my family at WDW...we always have a blast.

Thanks...

epcotisbest

I've got 2 kids, ages 3.5 and 5...I live 10 hours away from Orlando. We took them to WDW 5 times in the last year due to conferences and races (marathon/princess weekend).

I was able to secure a reservation for 7 nights and free dining when my 5 year old's Fall Break lands the first week of October and I've got another reservation for the week before Christmas. Should I cancel those trips? Financially, we could do it, but it really seems like overkill and the kids may not appreciate the place as much since we were there once a month for 6 months.

I don't want my kids to get burned out, but also don't want to miss an opportunity to spend time with my family at WDW...we always have a blast.

Thanks...

Sounds like a bit much to me. There are so many other things to see in do, why not experience new places with them? Head to the mountains, the beach, explore some museums in D.C. or experience Savannah or Charleston, or the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains. So many places, so little time.

Upvote 0

Dave B

The kids are so young, they wont remember how many times they have been, its so magical and every experience is so different, if you can go, GO and have fun, I talk to my kids who are 13 and 11 and they don't have too many memories from those ages, so it will be about the memories that YOU create, have fun!!!!

Upvote 0

scarpozzi

Original Poster
Sounds like a bit much to me. There are so many other things to see in do, why not experience new places with them? Head to the mountains, the beach, explore some museums in D.C. or experience Savannah or Charleston, or the grandeur of the Rocky Mountains. So many places, so little time.
That's what I was thinking...it's just tempting to go around the world in 30 minutes.

My 5 year old remembers bits and pieces from each of her 7 trips to WDW. If it weren't for the conferences my wife and I both attend (free lodging and gas to get there), we definitely wouldn't have gone as much as we have. We've made some good memories, we may figure something out for a smaller trip that weekend...perhaps somewhere up north so we can catch a glimpse of fall weather a few weeks early.

Upvote 0

becca_

Take them while they are young!! With schedules changing as your kids grow old, they may not be able to go even once a year between sports, school, jobs when they're old enough, etc. I'm in college now and I just took a trip with my mom for the first time in 3 yrs. If you can do it financially, I say go.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Oh how I wish I could have gone multiple times as a child. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I cant imagine any kid getting burned out at Disney. Since youre only 10 hours away you have more opportunities to get to WDW than those of us that live many states distances away. And if cost isnt an issue I'd say go. Experience as much fun with your kids as you can get in. They grow up fast and you never know how much time youll have with them. As long as your family gets enjoyment out of everything Disney offers, go, go, go. If your kids do get tired of going to Disney theyll let you know and then you can take a break from it.

Upvote 0

scarpozzi

Original Poster
Oh how I wish I could have gone multiple times as a child. :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop: I cant imagine any kid getting burned out at Disney. Since youre only 10 hours away you have more opportunities to get to WDW than those of us that live many states distances away. And if cost isnt an issue I'd say go. Experience as much fun with your kids as you can get in. They grow up fast and you never know how much time youll have with them. As long as your family gets enjoyment out of everything Disney offers, go, go, go. If your kids do get tired of going to Disney theyll let you know and then you can take a break from it.
If you name an experience at Disney, we've probably done it already..... We actually have repeated a lot of dining experiences because there weren't enough choices for as many trips/days we've spent there... I keep going over the "Top 50 things to do" type lists and typically can check off everything on the list, except maybe a couple. At this point, the things I want to do is stay at AoA, The Polynesian, Port Orleans (both) and Contemporary Hotels. Those are the ones we've not visited yet... (I didn't list key west, all star movies/music or saratoga springs, but we've not been to those either....hit the rest multiple times)

Upvote 0

scarpozzi

Original Poster
Take them while they are young!! With schedules changing as your kids grow old, they may not be able to go even once a year between sports, school, jobs when they're old enough, etc. I'm in college now and I just took a trip with my mom for the first time in 3 yrs. If you can do it financially, I say go.
I agree with taking them young. I really like spending time with them while we can, but the trips are very exhausting. We actually have just about as much time in the moderate and above pools than we do in the parks. My kids love the water slides....staying at Pop, we'd miss the slide.... (even though that gets exhausting too, chasing them up the steps to the top of the slides...) I have a picture of my 2.5 year old daughter on our first trip to WDW at the GF slide, sliding down on her stomach, feet first, in the vests they provide. I have a video of it too and you can see her passifier in her mouth as she slides....it was so much fun.

I'm going to see if I can come up with another option or two for possible anti-Disney destinations before I have to decide whether or not to keep our reservation. Thanks for all the feedback.

Upvote 0

21stamps

I don't think they're in danger of getting burned out.. but I do think that if you've gone so much then maybe pick one of those weeks to go somewhere else.
Maybe a Disney Cruise if you still want Disney?

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

I would go now before your kids are both in school. Once they are in school your trips will start to get fewer and further between. You just can't pull kids out of school 3, 4 or 5 times a year for a Disney vacation.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I totally hear your points. I could see myself grappling with the same conflict if I were in your shoes, too.

What I will say is that if I were you, I think I would only take one of the two trips you've got planned. Reason being because if you've been a lot already, you'd be going once more within your given time frame already, and I wonder if constantly going makes it unspecial over time.
I'm unsure of what your travel/vacation habits are outside of Disney, but maybe think of doing somewhere else during one of those times?
We went to Disney when when I was 3, 8, 12, 14, and 16. We went all over the East Coast in all those years in between. While I of course cherish our Disney memories and WDW has always been a staple in my childhood and now adult life, I also cherish our other vacation memories, seeing and experiencing new places together.

Just my thoughts! Whatever you decide, have a great time and create beautiful memories together!

Upvote 0

DfromATX

I can't believe I'm going to say this, but as much as I love Disney, 5 times in one year is a lot. I'd want to try something different. And 10 hours is not exactly close. I would introduce them to cruising. Doesn't even have to be Disney, but if money is no object... by all means.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Please let your kids (and yourself) experience something besides Disney! Quality family time can be had anywhere, and there's so much to see in this world!

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

I went 3 times last year. My daughter (who is now 3.5 y/o) has been 4 times and I'm taking her back in less than a month for (another) mommy and me trip. I had an annual pass for a year and went Aug 2016, Feb 2016 and then again in May 2016 making that 3 times in less than 9 months. At the end of our May trip I was burned out from going so much and I'm OBSESSED with Disney. I was very ready to go home from our 4 night trip... However, with that said my daughter was sick during that trip and I was 4 months pregnant and ready to get home for multiple reasons.

Seriously though, I would still go. If I had the means to go twice a year, every year, I would. Honestly, I am happy going at least once a year, but if I could afford it, I would go.

SO JUST GO!!!! Lol

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom