Shoes?

cbryns

Hi everyone!

I am new to the boards but very not new to Disney World. Over the 18+ times I have been, I still have not been able to pin down an actual COMFORTABLE shoe that is remotely attractive other than a spiffy pair of Nikes (and for us ladies we all know sneakers don't always go too well with our Disney park hopping attire). I know this is random and I am new so I am not sure if this is the right section to post under, but any and all advice is welcome! I've got my next trip in less than a month and I need to get serious!

Xo

NeedMoreMickey

When it comes to walking 12-15 miles a day around WDW fashion takes a back seat to comfort, have flat feet so I need custom orthotics. This last trip I alternated between a pair of New Balance, Nike and Brooks. In the past every trip I would get a blister until I switched my socks. I heard an ad on the radio for Kent Wool Socks that are worn by pro golfers. Bought a couple of pair, they are more expensive than what I usually pay for socks but since I've been wearing them not one blister. Worth the price for me.

Upvote 0

Mna

I'm a huge fan of Vionic for sandals and Mizuno Wave Paradox 2 sneakers.

I'm a woman, and I give zero cares if my shoes are cute at Disney, so long as they're not causing me pain. Trying to go without enough support taught me that the hard way. I ended up limping for a couple of weeks after that trip.

I tried the Crocs flip flops, but there wasn't enough arch support and my feet slid around too much if they got wet. My Vionics have some awesome molded soles with amazing arch support. It can take a few days for your feet to get used to the support (it's kind of an almost crampy feeling), but once they're used to it, you won't ever want to wear anything else. They do have some cute styles if fashion is that important to you.

Likewise, the Mizunos are NOT my style (I usually go all white, mine are gray and sea foam green!), but the support and the way they breathe makes up for it! I got two pair for our trip and broke both in so I wouldn't have to worry about whether they had dried completely between wearings.

I take my foot care very seriously, lol. After the blisters last time, I want to be able to actually enjoy my time in the parks this time.

Upvote 0

Mna

I agree. But with lots of people suggesting Toms, Sperrys, and Chucks, they don't seem to be too concerned with padding or structure.

Padding isn't really as important in a good shoe as the structure. I do agree that a LOT of shoes named were good for people with neutral feet (no overpronation, no flat feet,) but not for anyone who needs any kind of support.

I see stuff like Sketchers sneakers and GoWalks mentioned all the time on other forums, but for people who need support, those shoes are a nightmare after an hour because the pain starts.

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

Well I am getting up in age and work on my feet so comfort and support always wins out over stylish. I wear good sneakers with inserts for arch control and heal comfort. After a bad case of plantar fasciitis, I really do not give a hoot what it looks like, I go comfort every time. Got to take care of your feet. A doctor told me that once when I was young and I didn't believe him. Well, of course, he was right. So I will pass that along to all of you young ones, take care of your feet. Always go comfort and support over style. Who are you trying to impress anyway?

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

It’s Disney, not a fashion contest. I have the “wear what’s comfortable to you” opinion. Who cares if your Nikes don’t match your outfit? At least you won’t have a blister by 11am. I’m always in Nikes, and if it’s the summer I throw a pair of flip flops in my backpack. I’ve been burned one too many times by a torrential downpour and having my socks and shoes soaked for the rest of the day. My feet are aching, red and tender by the end of it.

Now what I will never understand are the people that wear 6 inch heels around the parks, and then are stumbling and limping to the parking lot by the end of the day. You were aware you would be walking miles, right?

I scotch guard my sneakers now. It works great, even the cloth top ones. I bring the can and reapply after a couple of soakings.

Upvote 0

Princess Sara

Hi everyone!

I am new to the boards but very not new to Disney World. Over the 18+ times I have been, I still have not been able to pin down an actual COMFORTABLE shoe that is remotely attractive other than a spiffy pair of Nikes (and for us ladies we all know sneakers don't always go too well with our Disney park hopping attire). I know this is random and I am new so I am not sure if this is the right section to post under, but any and all advice is welcome! I've got my next trip in less than a month and I need to get serious!

Xo
I struggle with shoes when I visit WDW. Last September I tried sports goes, flip flops, crocs and birkenstocks. We eventually went to Disney Springs and I bought some Sanuk yoga sling flip flops, they were heavenly on my feet. I am from England and I have managed to buy some more ready for our trip in September from Amazon at a great price.

Upvote 0

21stamps

I agree. But with lots of people suggesting Toms, Sperrys, and Chucks, they don't seem to be too concerned with padding or structure.
My feet hurt a heck of a lot less in classic Toms or classic Sperry boat shoes than they do in a pair of flat sandals. Both have a little arch support. Flat sandals and Chucks- none. But at least Chuck's have a thicker sole, so they're still better.

Upvote 0

Mna

My feet hurt a heck of a lot less in classic Toms or classic Sperry boat shoes than they do in a pair of flat sandals. Both have a little arch support. Flat sandals and Chucks- none. But at least Chuck's have a thicker sole, so they're still better.
Not all sandals are flat, though. I have two pair of Vionic flip flops, and they're the most supportive shoes I own. The only way I would get MORE support would be custom, prescription orthotics!

Upvote 0

DoleWhipperSnapper

The thing is that each person's feet are different. The arches are different and one person may need support in one area while another may not. Same goes for the heels. I am a gal and I am all about the comfort when it comes to the amount of walking that occurs in WDW. I am not much on style when it comes to these sort of things. So for the parks I would go to your local shoe store and try on a ton of walking shoes and take hours if you have to. Heck you know we gals have done it before. As for sandals and flats for around the pool I do prefer Crocs Classic Clog. They are very comfortable, low maintenance, and easy to slide on and off if you want to take a quick walk to the pool side bar or something.

Upvote 0

MagicMegan

I just bought a pair of Sanuk yoga mat sling backs... they're super cute, and I read somewhere on this site where a bunch of women were swearing by them. So we shall see. I'm going in 30 days so I will report back haha.

Upvote 0

Mna

The thing is that each person's feet are different. The arches are different and one person may need support in one area while another may not. Same goes for the heels. I am a gal and I am all about the comfort when it comes to the amount of walking that occurs in WDW. I am not much on style when it comes to these sort of things. So for the parks I would go to your local shoe store and try on a ton of walking shoes and take hours if you have to. Heck you know we gals have done it before. As for sandals and flats for around the pool I do prefer Crocs Classic Clog. They are very comfortable, low maintenance, and easy to slide on and off if you want to take a quick walk to the pool side bar or something.
You can actually go to a running shoe store and have them evaluate your gait. It's typically free and they'll be able to tell you what shoes are best for your feet/walking gait. They can tell what you need by a variety of telltale signs they look for when they watch you walk. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for shoes to properly support their own particular feet.

Upvote 0

DoleWhipperSnapper

You can actually go to a running shoe store and have them evaluate your gait. It's typically free and they'll be able to tell you what shoes are best for your feet/walking gait. They can tell what you need by a variety of telltale signs they look for when they watch you walk. I highly recommend it for anyone who is looking for shoes to properly support their own particular feet.
I agree, that is helpful information.

Upvote 0

21stamps

Not all sandals are flat, though. I have two pair of Vionic flip flops, and they're the most supportive shoes I own. The only way I would get MORE support would be custom, prescription orthotics!

Agree. That's why I specified flat sandals :)
I have a lot of super cute flat sandals that cause my feet to hurt at the end of a long day! I've worn quite a few to Disney..always regret it.

Yes!! I do this..and then buy my shoes cheaper online.

Upvote 0

Mna

Agree. That's why I specified flat sandals :)
I have a lot of super cute flat sandals that cause my feet to hurt at the end of a long day! I've worn quite a few to Disney..always regret it

Yes!! I do this..and then buy my shoes cheaper online.

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were implying all sandals were flat. Sorry!

After our last trip and the misery I put myself through, I've educated myself extensively on footwear. Hopefully it will pay off this trip!

Upvote 0

21stamps

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought you were implying all sandals were flat. Sorry!

After our last trip and the misery I put myself through, I've educated myself extensively on footwear. Hopefully it will pay off this trip!
I get it!
I love thin flat sandals, and flat shoes..and very high heels.. I definitely put myself thru misery.lol.

I know better, and do it anyway. Maybe it's my age though.. but it's getting harder, recently tend to opt for comfort more than I ever have.

Upvote 0

Mna

I get it!
I love thin flat sandals, and flat shoes..and very high heels.. I definitely put myself thru misery.lol.

I know better, and do it anyway. Maybe it's my age though.. but it's getting harder, recently tend to opt for comfort more than I ever have.
Same here, more or less. When I was younger, I wanted "cute" shoes. Now I don't care what they look like, as long as my feet don't hurt halfway through the day in them!

Upvote 0

jaklgreen

The problem is if you step in a puddle... hello wet socks.

Well if you are stepping in a ankle deep puddle, then I guess it does not matter what you do to your shoes. LOL Plus if it rains, your socks get wet anyway. I just found that the scotch guard helps slow down the process of wet shoes quit a bit.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom