Shoe tree off River country

timoteo

Original Poster
Was just at WDW. Rented a couple of sea racers. Went into Bay Lake and just 1000 feet or so north east of the closed river country is a cyprus type tree just 10' or so off shore covered in pairs of shoes. There must be hundreds of shoes dangling there. Does anyone know what the significance of this is. Anyone with a boat can go see this. It is kinda disgusting in a way. Is this some kind of cast member initiation thing. The area near there seems completely closed. If these are old shoes why wouldn't disney get rid of them?

rainfully

Ummm I don't know for certain, but I always figured it had something to do with River Country... and everyone throwing their shoes up into the tree before a day of swimming... if that makes sense. :lol:

Just another cute Disney detail!

ToTBellHop

it is the resident alligators asking for some privacy much like my college roommates putting a hat on the doorknob...

this really is a slow day at Disney lol...Mondays suck.

WDW Monorail

I have never heard about the "shoe tree" that you have seen but in my town, kids who had outgrown their shoes would throw them up and hang them on telophone and electrical lines in the middle of the street. This no longer happens because I believe that one pair of shoes brought down an entire circuit.

PotteryGal

We stayed at WL last fall and one day, going past the 'shoe tree' in the ferry, it was mentioned that it was some kind of farewell thing they do for people who retire. Can any CMs that post here verify this, or were we fed a line of bull? :rolleyes: There were TONS of shoes hanging on this tree, but I didn't even notice it until the boat captain said something. :lol:

raven

huh... it is a sock down south. they must keep their hats on while.....

:D

What ever happened to the tie? :lookaroun

We had a shoe tree up here in the Detroit area that was taken down about 2 years ago due to the amount of traffic it caused on the county road. We were searching for it one night and didn't spot it until we were right under it and could see it through the moon roof. It's really creepy at night!

ToTBellHop

What ever happened to the tie? :lookaroun

We had a shoe tree up here in the Detroit area that was taken down about 2 years ago due to the amount of traffic it caused on the county road. We were searching for it one night and didn't spot it until we were right under it and could see it through the moon roof. It's really creepy at night!
who wears ties? Heck...who wears socks anymore? It's all flip-flops around here.

CBOMB

It's sort of a tradition, CP assigned to water crafts leave their shoes in the tree on their last day of work.

KevGuy

That's so funny. I grew up in the inner city of Boston in the Bunker Hill housing project, and we all used to throw our old sneakers over the telephone lines right outside the basketball court in the middle of the project after we got new ones. It was sort of a tradition to tie the laces from each shoe to the other one and then launch them up and over the lines hoping they would catch on first throw, it was like tossing a boomerang. :ROFLOL: That is hillarious that kids I assume still do that, do it elsewhere in other states, and do it pretty much at Disney too. I did this sort of stuff 25 years ago.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom