Shark Reef to close at Typhoon Lagoon

Daveeeeed

With modern day Disney, anything is possible. Just look at the Tower of Terror in California Adventure.
Yeah that is true, but at least they realized that Tot in orlando has to stay. The one at DCA should stay too, but they're making a marvel land so sightlines would have been a bit odd. Orlando's is a masterpiece though, and it dominates Sunset Boulevard.
that is an abomination. :cry:
Agree!:cry:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney was also "meh" to the exclusive Kuka contract Universal swooped up as well as the JK Rowling deal. We see how both of those turned out. :)
Volcano Bay is going to be the pinnacle of water parks. There is no doubt in my mind about that- well better than either TL or BB. Which is great and all- but they're still just water parks- drawing 2 mil people/year. Which, while a healthy number- is still only 1/10 of MK or 1/5 of DHS/AK.
I'm interested in seeing the 2018 numbers though. While BB and TL draw 2.3m and 2.1m respectively, W&W only draws 1.3m. With Volcano Bay's ideal location- I think it will surpass both BB and TL and possibly even Chimelong in China- making it the most popular water park in the world.

A ticket a Typhoon Lagoon is $60. So Discovery Cove is $900 a day? Because I checked online just now and it said $169 and includes unlimited visits to Aquatica and Seaworld for 14 days. So by 15x, you meant less than 3x and also includes a water park, theme park, parking at all parks, food, drinks, and snacks (and for $15 more- Busch Gardens Tampa).
Although, technically, it's infinitely more expensive as it didn't cost anything to do. And it's not like they're going to take a few bucks off the $60 ticket.

If you want the 'swim with the animals' experience it starts at over $300 pp. A better experience but it costs a heck of a lot more than the water park ticket which if you have the 'right' AP it's 'free'.

Jon81uk

If you want the 'swim with the animals' experience it starts at over $300 pp. A better experience but it costs a heck of a lot more than the water park ticket which if you have the 'right' AP it's 'free'.

I'm doing Discovery Cove for the first time this year and it's only £138 (approx $181) to swim with stingrays and other animals, relax with unlimited food and drink and go to three other theme parks. Yes the dolphin swim is extra but I think I am getting an experience better than Shark Reef for only £39 more than a three-park SeaWorld ticket.

MarkTwain

Shark Reef is an attraction that is unique, beautifully supports the theme of the park that it's in, and is one of those things guests are often amazed to learn is included with park admission. Very typical of 80s/90s Disney.

And in other words, has no place at all in modern WDW. Without an obvious IP tie-in, it was probably doomed for a while now.

I'm glad I had the chance to do it as much as I did, and feel bad for future park guests that won't get to do the same.

Bocabear

The "leaky snorkel" doesn't sound like the sort of bar Disney would put on property.
Imagine the whole backstory they could create with that... Like Jock Lindsay and Pleasure Island you could create a whole backstory about the proprietor of the bar ran snorkel charters and there was a problem getting new equipment... those that drew the leaky snorkels had to stay behind and he had to do something to entertain them...So he started mixing exotic cocktails for them and making up stories about the things they WOULD have seen that corresponded to each drink... Order up a "Pink Angelfish" or a "Rusty Anchor"...
Actually that is such a good idea I should create that one myself....

V_L_Raptor

Those Complaining about how cold it is: Do you expect them to heat water that cold-blooded fish populate? I never understood this complaint! Besides, on a 98 degree Florida Day, it feels good to get chilled to the bone!

The "cold-blooded" fish don't have cold blood by default. They generally don't generate their own body heat, so the blood/tissue/etc. is whatever temperature the water is. Warmer water would speed up their metabolism, but it might also increase the likelihood for things like infections (for the animals, I mean). Warming the water to something fairly predictable would probably also be somewhat fiddly for an aquarium outdoors in the Florida heat with multiple ~98.6 degrees F masses passing through all the time, so keeping the set point cold would probably make things easier that way.

Opah and tuna are endotherms, but everything in Shark Reef was poikilothermic.

Next Big Thing

I think the question we should be asking now that we have confirmation of closure (as an aside to complaining) is What do they plan on doing with that part of the park? Shark Reef took up a fairly sizable portion, closing this won't necessarily be all too noticeable though seeing as it's sort of hidden in a far corner of the park.

The way I see it, they are likely to go in one of two directions with this: Either demolish Shark Reef and replace it with more slides/attractions for the park or just wall it off and abandon it. If they decide to use the space for park use again, it will likely be depending on the pressure they feel from Volcano Bay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom