Shanghai is a Success and Investments are Paying Off

@DisneyBryan

Original Poster
Attention Shanghai and/or Bob haters--check out this article...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ubs-d...wMwBHJlZ2lvbgNVUwRzeW1ib2wDRElT?.tsrc=applewf

In a nutshell...An independent study shows success for Shanghai and Disney Parks in general. Also worth noting that the firm who did this is telling Wall Street they approve and applaud more capital investment in parks and that it is and will continue to drive major growth for the company.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was a fringe blogger that was cataloging every conceivable wrong that Disney was involved in from lawsuits (both legitimate and frivolous) to gossip. He was swearing on a stack of bibles that the Disney Corporation was on the brink of imminent financial collapse. That was two years ago.

His site isn't around any more. It was nuked from orbit for hosting full Disney movies for download.

The_Bellringer

There was a fringe blogger that was cataloging every conceivable wrong that Disney was involved in from lawsuits (both legitimate and frivolous) to gossip. He was swearing on a stack of bibles that the Disney Corporation was on the brink of imminent financial collapse. That was two years ago.

His site isn't around any more. It was nuked from orbit for hosting full Disney movies for download.
Haha oh the irony!

WDW1974

Paging @WDW1974 ... :hilarious:

But I know, these analysts are in on the vast CCP conspiracy. The press is too.

Exactly why do you feel I owe you anything, even a response here? You've proudly proclaimed you joined this site simply to refute all of my misinformation and lies (your words ... and strangely enough you joined at a time I was barely posting here, but whatever). You've contorted my opinions like pretzels to meet your own agenda. You've accused me of having a tabloid style and that I am right 10% of the time (the reality is about 90-95% but who's measuring?)

What exactly is your point?

When did I ever say that P&R wasn't doing well? When did I say SDL would be a failure? And beyond me saying the CCP ultimately controlled SDL -- which they do -- what "vast conspiracy" are you charging me with.

And why do I think you are simply a bored O-Town blogger/Lifestyler whose feelings I hurt, not an industry pro like you claim? Might be because the folks I know here who are industry pros don't exactly agree with your opinions on me and they actually do get paid by Disney or UNI or, in some cases, both.

NearTheEars

Exactly why do you feel I owe you anything, even a response here? You've proudly proclaimed you joined this site simply to refute all of my misinformation and lies (your words ... and strangely enough you joined at a time I was barely posting here, but whatever). You've contorted my opinions like pretzels to meet your own agenda. You've accused me of having a tabloid style and that I am right 10% of the time (the reality is about 90-95% but who's measuring?)

What exactly is your point?

When did I ever say that P&R wasn't doing well? When did I say SDL would be a failure? And beyond me saying the CCP ultimately controlled SDL -- which they do -- what "vast conspiracy" are you charging me with.

And why do I think you are simply a bored O-Town blogger/Lifestyler whose feelings I hurt, not an industry pro like you claim? Might be because the folks I know here who are industry pros don't exactly agree with your opinions on me and they actually do get paid by Disney or UNI or, in some cases, both.

Definitely tabloid style, but you have New York Times accuracy. Not sure how anyone could question your track record.

Sped2424

While this is nice don't forget about the hiring freeze, the erasing of certain positions that affected quality at the resorts, and some employees being let go that started last year around this time when they were nervous about Shanghai's fate. In short it wasn't joke and people did get affected paywise while top positions of the company responsible for this venture didn't do much other than iger taking a 1 million dollar pay decrease. Poor chap.

Sped2424

If they are hiring 1,000 workers, it doesn't seem like much of a freeze anymore.
I understand. What I am referring to was the hashtag thanks shanghai which kinda made it seem like nothing bad came out of that deal in terms for stateside cast. Which was not necessarily the case. Though most of the positions have come back and the hiring freeze is done and hours are back for cast the point remains why should they have ever been affected in the first place?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
While this is nice don't forget about the hiring freeze, the erasing of certain positions that affected quality at the resorts, and some employees being let go that started last year around this time when they were nervous about Shanghai's fate. In short it wasn't joke and people did get affected paywise while top positions of the company responsible for this venture didn't do much other than iger taking a 1 million dollar pay decrease. Poor chap.

Not sure how Iger will survive that $1 million pay decrease. I mean, he only made $43.9 million last year (in total compensation), and has 1.1 million shares of DIS stock (or is it 1.4 million shares, now? I can't find the current info I had a while back), how's he going to feed his family???

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I understand. What I am referring to was the hashtag thanks shanghai which kinda made it seem like nothing bad came out of that deal in terms for stateside cast. Which was not necessarily the case. Though most of the positions have come back and the hiring freeze is done and hours are back for cast the point remains why should they have ever been affected in the first place?
And yet it was only conjecture and posturing that Shanghai had anything to do with it. Some said that it was simply a seasonal adjustment that happens all the time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
UBS called for DIS to divest itself of ESPN in 2016, but now doesn't apparently see the network as a problem for the company. And their estimate of 11.4 million visitors for SDL is a good 10% above what DIS itself has projected. I'm somewhat of a skeptic to begin with, but there is something about their "analysis" which smells a bit fishy to me. That coming from someone who has heard some good things about several of the rides and attractions and is a bit sad I won't be able to visit SDL for at least several years, if ever. :(

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
UBS called for DIS to divest itself of ESPN in 2016, but now doesn't apparently see the network as a problem for the company. And their estimate of 11.4 million visitors for SDL is a good 10% above what DIS itself has projected. I'm somewhat of a skeptic to begin with, but there is something about their "analysis" which smells a bit fishy to me. That coming from someone who has heard some good things about several of the rides and attractions and is a bit sad I won't be able to visit SDL for at least several years, if ever. :(
One thing I never do is listen to analysts about anything. Most are idiots that have no idea what they are spouting, or are trying to manipulate the stock for their own, or whomever is paying them, personal monetary gain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom