Shanghai Disneyland anticipation

Kuhio

China just lifted its one-child policy, which had been in place for decades. Under the new policy, couples will be allowed to have up to two children.

I recall reading something about Shanghai Disneyland being designed with more attractions that are "adult/elder friendly" because an average visiting family would trend toward one child and multiple parents and grandparents, rather than two parents and multiple children. I have to imagine that this new policy will effect some substantial change (positive, one hopes) on both SDL's attendance patterns and the types of attractions it introduces in the future.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/29/asia/china-one-child-policy/index.html

brb1006

Here's new photos of Shanghai Disney Resort which shows the inside of the hotel lobby and more photos of the construction.
12032058_531460667002527_2376358873590156398_n.jpg~original

Shanghai-Disneyland-Hotel-Lobby-Rendering.jpg

GiveMeTheMusic

Do we know anything more about entertainment than just the vanilla descriptions given by Disney?

The shows are pretty straightforward. Tarzan musical with acrobats. Pirate stunt show. Frozen singalong. Castle show with fab five and princesses. I am curious to see parade artwork, but the train theme doesn't excite me.

Nmoody1

After visiting the shanghai disney store today, the world's 'largest' disney store... its not the world's largest... maybe if you count the garden space outside - but that doesn't make a store. Anyone who has been to the times square store - that I think is the biggest.

This makes me think it's all spin about the 'biggest' parade etc.

I'd also like to add customer service was 'defiantly NOT Disney and distinctly chinese' in that it was terrible! A security guard came and told me (quite forcibly) that I couldn't take photos.

It's nice to see the clock out front from the concept art finally being built, and some shanghai disneyland merchandise - ears, mugs, notebook, tote bag and pin.

I also went past the park construction site on the maglev train... its a very quick look. Roaring rapids is huge! So tall! The castle still looks bulky, but not as bad as it does in photos.... was viewing it from behind though.

Also, uniqlo Magic For All is great - very disney service, great selection... Can't wait for the store to open at disney springs!

HauntedMansion513

I'd also like to add customer service was 'defiantly NOT Disney and distinctly chinese' in that it was terrible! A security guard came and told me (quite forcibly) that I couldn't take photos.

I think this is what worries me most about this resort... Hopefully they'll get the Cast Members to Disney quality, but that's already not a promising sign.

brb1006

After visiting the shanghai disney store today, the world's 'largest' disney store... its not the world's largest... maybe if you count the garden space outside - but that doesn't make a store. Anyone who has been to the times square store - that I think is the biggest.

This makes me think it's all spin about the 'biggest' parade etc.

It's nice to see the clock out front from the concept art finally being built, and some shanghai disneyland merchandise - ears, mugs, notebook, tote bag and pin.

I also went past the park construction site on the maglev train... its a very quick look. Roaring rapids is huge! So tall! The castle still looks bulky, but not as bad as it does in photos.... was viewing it from behind though.

Also, uniqlo Magic For All is great - very disney service, great selection... Can't wait for the store to open at disney springs!
I'm still looking forward to seeing videos of the daytime parade at Shanghai Disney Resort once it finally opens. Is there any concept art of the parade yet since D23?

BrianLo

Looks like Expedition Everest re-themed to fit into a castle park might be first on the list for Shanghai expansion?

https://twitter.com/tigerr05/status/675945916055085056/photo/1

I am super confused where that photo is coming from. It looks like @RandySavage 's work. Probably from many years ago.

I remember some rumour that at one time Everest would have been in the expansion discussion for SDL, I can't remember who said that. Either @marni1971 @Lee or @WDW1974. I don't know how accurate that is anymore, Everest is no longer "recent" as it once was.

Now that said, wherever this does come from it's not very accurate. Things are not properly oriented. Tron is in the wrong spot, SDMT is missing, the Pirates Stunt show is in the wrong spot, I don't see Soarin' and the layout for the Fantasyland boat ride is all wrong.

Lee

Adventurer
The art is official and legit...and outdated.
I've had that Everest bit for 3-4 years, at least.

Though, I have heard that Everest is still on the table as a future expansion.

RandySavage

shanghai disneyland everest plan.PNG
It's cool to see that version of the park, which in the macro is similar but in the micro quite different from what's being built, to see how the design has evolved. Would love to see a higher-res version of it. Early plans will often contain placeholders in expansion pads, such as Everest (although it sounds like Everest was actually planned) or Rock n Rollercoaster in lower left. Next to Everest appears to be a placeholder Haunted Mansion (not exact shape but similar scale). Remember the HKDL plan with expansion pads filled out with things like Toontown, Big Thunder and Raging Spirits? The earliest plan I've seen of SDL was the overall property with an almost a direct clone of DLP dropped in.

Some of the artwork released years ago seems to be reflected in this newly-discovered plan:
Note the lightcycle-shaped building. At that point would have been a Rock n' Rollercoaster clone.
sdlnew2.jpg

Here the spinners/bridges/lakes in the Gardens are oriented-differently:
gar956532LARGE.jpg

This plan shows the outdoor Pirate stunt amphitheater where PotC:BftST is being built. Also the giant skull rock formation separating from Adventure Isle:
710962819d917bcd12e46f867ba857a8.jpg

Mickey Ave was to be a covered arcade at one point:
sdlnew4.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom