Shades of Green vs Value Resorts

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Sog is like staying at a holiday inn.

I'd disagree on several grounds.
1.Unlike most of the resorts, it's all just been refurbished.
2.The clientele has a sense of decorum. Almost all know how to respectfully interact with others and have shared values. We're not your average guests and don't put up with BS.
3. Room size and amenities. They are larger and expectations are different. You can get a beer, mixed drink, or ice cream, 20 feet from the front desk.

Other events we have such as Oktoberfest sponsored by the Hofbräuhaus in Munich every year are uniquely SoG.

While it's on Disney, it's owned and operated by the US Armed Forces Recreation Services for the past 23 years. Originally it was leased from Disney , but it was purchased outright in 1996 for 43 million.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'd disagree on several grounds.
1.Unlike most of the resorts, it's all just been refurbished.
2.The clientele has a sense of decorum. Almost all know how to respectfully interact with others and have shared values. We're not your average guests and don't put up with BS.
3. Room size and amenities. They are larger and expectations are different. You can get a beer, mixed drink, or ice cream, 20 feet from the front desk.

So tell me again... what of the above is not like a holiday inn?

The point wasn't to put it down - the point was its like a holiday inn! It's not flashy.. It's not 'in your face disney'.. It's clean, effective, and reliable.

If you like Disney 'deluxes' because they are attractions (more than they are great hotels).. SoG will disappoint. There is not much memorable about the hotel.. but it's a great hotel. But would be a miserable 'show piece'

wdwfan22

Shades of green is a nice resort, but I wouldn't place it in the Deluxe category. The rooms are large but the hotel has a very basic feel to it.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
The main "problem" most people have with SOG is that it lacks any Disney "theming" that the other resorts have. We've stayed at SOG twice (BIL is in the USAF), and would pick it over a value without hesitation. We walked to the Poly and hopped on the monorail most days, and even made the walk to the TTC once. Buses were perfectly reliable every time we used them, and far less crowded than any at a value.

The main drawback is the lack of 60 day FP+, but depending on the time of year, you can work around it. We stayed there the week of Xmas-New Year in 2015, and had no problems getting FPs.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
So tell me again... what of the above is not like a holiday inn?

The point wasn't to put it down - the point was its like a holiday inn! It's not flashy.. It's not 'in your face disney'.. It's clean, effective, and reliable.

If you like Disney 'deluxes' because they are attractions (more than they are great hotels).. SoG will disappoint. There is not much memorable about the hotel.. but it's a great hotel. But would be a miserable 'show piece'

Simply because they have a very different clientele and objectives for stays. Its one of the major reasons we stopped staying at the Deluxe resorts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Simply because they have a very different clientele and objectives for stays. Its one of the major reasons we stopped staying at the Deluxe resorts.

I think everyone has the same objective... the innuendo about military people being better behaved/etc... I'll just gloss over.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
So are you saying for 2 adults no kids(wanting quiet) mostly planning F&W SOG is the way to go over a value?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So are you saying for 2 adults no kids(wanting quiet) mostly planning F&W SOG is the way to go over a value?

It will be far less hectic that's for sure. SoG is nice and quiet.. while a value can be a crap shoot. Pricing depends on dates and your grade.. but unless you are getting a great deal on the Disney room... SoG will probably be competitive and a lot more room for the $$.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
You remind me of all the little girls feining for the guys in uniform... when they were just the enlisted guys with the worst MOS..

Dont know your frame of reference but there have always been camp followers , most notable are the ones that followed General Hooker.

mouse_luv

SOG any day over a value. I've stayed there plenty of times growing up since my father is now retired military. My first two trips ever it was The Disney Inn (Disney Deluxe resort) and then it switched to Shades. Love it there and it's definitely a beautiful deluxe equivalent.

Eric B

Something that I always kept in the back of my mind when I am planning any trip or cruise.
When you close your eyes and the lights are out, you can't see anything. Keep that in mind when you decide where you want to put your money down. The rooms are large, beds are comfortable and quiet. A room serves a simple purpose...some place to get some sleep and get ready for the next day's adventure.

I don't mind that SoG is not Disney-ified. Compared to a value resort, SoG wins hands down. The prices at the restaurants are a little lower than at other resort hotels, plus there is no sales or resort taxes which adds up over the course of a few days. You don't get the 60 day FP+ access, but you do get EMH and reliable transportation, as well as being within walking distance to the Poly to catch the monorail or other Disney Transportation buses.
You could also ask about military discounts at WDW resorts. Sometimes, the discount is less than SoG depending on the resort class. At the end of a long tiring day at one of the parks, when my eyes close, I don't know if I am at a Disney hotel, or SoG, but my wallet stretches a little further at SoG where I can splurge a little more in the parks.

Jackiep9

We are considering staying at Shades of Green in January of 2018. The only other time we went to Disney we stayed at Art of Animation (March 2014). How does fast pass, dinner reservations, etc work with SoG since it isn't a disney hotel? Will we still get the magic bands? If not, how do these things work? Are they tied to our park tickets? Because we're hoping that the military salute 4 day park hopper tickets will be available again in 2018 and won't buy tickets until we find that out which traditionally hasn't been until about september of 2017.

I'm confused!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Doesn't one have to be active or retired military to stay there? I've run around the golf course and resort - it's really nice!

If I were eligible to stay there, I'd choose it over a Disney Value. I believe the rooms are larger than a standard Disney room and they are better designed for physically handicapped guests.

The SoG eligibility matrix is here for your reference.

http://www.shadesofgreen.org/booking.htm

mouse_luv

We are considering staying at Shades of Green in January of 2018. The only other time we went to Disney we stayed at Art of Animation (March 2014). How does fast pass, dinner reservations, etc work with SoG since it isn't a disney hotel? Will we still get the magic bands? If not, how do these things work? Are they tied to our park tickets? Because we're hoping that the military salute 4 day park hopper tickets will be available again in 2018 and won't buy tickets until we find that out which traditionally hasn't been until about september of 2017.

I'm confused!
You will only be able to make FP ressies 30 days in advance instead of 60. You can make adr's no problem since those aren't linked to ressies. Also, you won't get magic bands unless you choose to purchase some and add your tickets to them. You use your tickets to gain access to the parks, but only after the Sponsor and the entire party takes their tickets to the guest relations window outside the first park you want to access and has them activated. Have fun!

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member

I'm confused!

Everything is the same basically except you don't get the advanced FP+ booking window.
Dining Reservations aren't tied to your tickets/resort
MagicBands aren't given free except to those booking a stay at the disney hotels, but you can get some on property once you get there if you want one
You can buy your tickets from SoG's desk or your MWR or whatever your normal means are

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom