Shades of Green or AOA?

Disneyfan2000

Original Poster
Hey everyone! Going to the world in September but not utilizing the free dining because we purchased our tickets using the 4 day military pass. There are 5 adults in our travel group and are ready to have a blast! But I'm trying to weigh out the differences and perks between the two resorts. Currently our rates are $100 per person for SOG and $170 for AOA for 4 nights. If you were going to pick, which one and why?

Thanks!

Allygator

We are staying two days at shades of green before out vacation starts at wilderness lodge. I was thinking of switching since they offered a September rate for $66.50 a night but I see the main pool is closed for refurb and is due to open late in the summer. I just hope they aren't running behind by the time we get there. We are checking in September 13

Disvillain63

@sheila2012 has a great idea...my DIL checked last year and got a better deal at POP than she could get at SoG.

The biggest difference may be in the cost of food if you eat at the food court in either SoG or AoA; SoG is a bit less expensive.

Allygator

I paid full cost for three adults for DDP which was still cheaper than my free dining dining upgraded to DDP for two at a moderate. It is worth comparing. I never imagined I would ever be able to stay at a deluxe resort

RonAnnArbor

Overall, you are not going to find huge differences between Shades of Green and the other resorts, except that SoG does NOT include Disney's Magical Express if you are flying into Orlando International Airport.
As to the specific question -- AoA's rooms are (much) smaller - Shades of Green is considered a deluxe resort and its rooms are the biggest of all the standard resorts. AoA is a value resort with the smallest rooms.
Bus transportation to the disney parks is via free busses just like all the other resorts.
One benefit is a dedicated bus shuttle service to Universal if you plan to go there at all -- and cheap (10 bucks a person for adults, 5 for kids).
You will also find that Shades of Green is quieter, less crowded, and you will feel less "rushed around". The bus stop is more orderly and less chaotic than AoA.
They have their own website, by the way -- you can check it all out and especially read through their FAQ's which will answer a lot of your questions.

momof1princess

I wouldn't even consider AoA if I had the opportunity to stay at SoG.

AoA is a garishly colored motel kind of place. SoG is a real hotel in a lovely setting.

I agree with you only because it sounds like the OP is traveling with adults only. AOA is like paradise for kids, but for a group of adults, maybe not so much. I felt like we never were able to escape the MK while staying at AOA, and that's just not ok for me. I need to relax at my resort, but my 5 year old thought we found paradise!

Allygator

I wouldn't even consider AoA if I had the opportunity to stay at SoG.

AoA is a garishly colored motel kind of place. SoG is a real hotel in a lovely setting.
I have been sitting on the fence on SOG vs WL. How is the walk to the Polynesian and their bus service? We paid a lot for deluxe dining and I'm not sure if we would break even.

luv

I have been sitting on the fence on SOG vs WL. How is the walk to the Polynesian and their bus service? We paid a lot for deluxe dining and I'm not sure if we would break even.
I do not know, but someone will. I wouldn't want to have to walk it after a long day in the parks, I'll tell you that! :)

Allygator

I do not know, but someone will. I wouldn't want to have to walk it after a long day in the parks, I'll tell you that! :)
That's what I was afraid with my husband. He hurt his foot a few years ago and it bothers him after awhile. That was why I went with Wilderness Lodge. I also can't picture him riding a crowded bus every night too. I just hope WL isn't too loud.

momof1princess

Pretty extensive reviews on easy wdw website. Didn't notice SOG there but they often tell you their opinion on the quietest rooms and transportation info. Just a recommendation, for what it's worth.

NeedMoreMickey

The walk to Poly or GF isn't that bad but don't try walking from transportation center after a long day, that's a long walk. We found it easier to walk because the bus only runs I think every 30 minutes and we always managed to miss it. I think the charge for parking your car at SoG so figure that when comparing prices.

DsnySodec

If you are not using the Dining Plan SoG...especially since the majority if not your whole party is adults. It the same disney feel, but the price with the ticket would be worth it. If you were taking kids Id go to AoA. They have a mini class six in the shoppette in SoG which is nice.

WDW 3

SoG! No contest. We snooped at AoA last November and grabbed a map at the front desk and that place only has one bus stop for all those rooms. AoA - 1984 rooms, SoG - 586.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom