Seven Dwarfs Mine Train In Action 3/19/2014

ASilmser

Is it just me, or does the guest proximity to the coaster both excite and surprise you? How easy is it for some idiot to throw random stuff at the riders as they pass by? How easy is it for a stupid person to decide to jump the fence and enter the ride area? Based on this video and others I have seen, I LOVE the fact that the coaster is right smack in the middle of everything, but if I were to put on my "Disney Lawyer Lens," I'd be blowing an aneurysm right now (or preparing to bill the company for lots of hours).

I haven't been to WDW since those construction walls came down, so the perspective from the videos I've seen could be deceiving. Otherwise, how long until we see ugly nets surrounding the ride to keep stupid people from being stupid? (if this has been discussed on another thread, please link. I have not been able to read the hundreds of pages about the mine train on the forums)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Is it just me, or does the guest proximity to the coaster both excite and surprise you? How easy is it for some idiot to throw random stuff at the riders as they pass by? How easy is it for a stupid person to decide to jump the fence and enter the ride area? Based on this video and others I have seen, I LOVE the fact that the coaster is right smack in the middle of everything, but if I were to put on my "Disney Lawyer Lens," I'd be blowing an aneurysm right now (or preparing to bill the company for lots of hours).

I haven't been to WDW since those construction walls came down, so the perspective from the videos I've seen could be deceiving. Otherwise, how long until we see ugly nets surrounding the ride to keep stupid people from being stupid? (if this has been discussed on another thread, please link. I have not been able to read the hundreds of pages about the mine train on the forums)

This has been discussed in a couple threads. There actually is chicken wire fence in a number of places to prevent this sort of things.

ASilmser

This has been discussed in a couple threads. There actually is chicken wire fence in a number of places to prevent this sort of things.
I read the stuff about the chicken wire, and I forgot to mention that. I saw it in some of the pics and videos, but not on this part of the ride. There are some other sections that have videos posted that seem to be really close too. I guess I'll just have to see it for myself. I am not aware of another coaster at WDW that has such a small "buffer" between the pedestrian areas and the ride track. It just surprised me.

MickeyPeace

I don't know why people still use the derogatory term 'chicken wire'. It looks like a black mesh that should blend with the topiary as time goes by. :)
Does that mean it's sharp and is meant to cut the guest if they touch it? That's what chicken wire does.

Hello Bob, we have a problem...

kap91

Derogatory term? Who is offended, the chickens?;).

The chicken wire term has been used specifically to deride it on other threads. For the record was there Sunday, and severals points again:

1. It is not chicken wire. It's log posts that blend in with scenery connected with a tight black netting
2. If you would like to see what real chicken wire fence looks like just look through the peephole on the other side of the attraction where indeed portable construction fence is still erected. And it's clearly temporary fence.
3. On the portion of the ride that has the walls down, it is present only in one small section near the final turn where the track comes closest to ground level.
4. It is not easily spottable from more than a few feet away (unless you're @Scuttle ), and growing shrubs will make it even more difficult to see.
5. At some point concessions have to be made for safety and practicality. Are we going to start complaining now every time there's an escape staircase, exit sign, or sprinkler head? Maybe we should start talking about the travesty of Thunder Mountain...there's 21'st century security cameras plainly visible on what is supposed to be a mine from the old west. Or how about the castle? What are steel ladders doing on a medieval castle? And why are there seats and seat belts in a service elevator from 1939? Why is a limo driving on a roller coaster track? Why does it have shoulder harnesses? Such ugly, obtrusive, abhorrent thematic aberrations indeed.

The fence is low-key, functional, and still thematically integrated as much as possible. Until Disney Research invents an invisible electric forcefield (please use it anywhere there's stroller's! :)) Can we nitpick on any one of the numerous other real problems the ride might have? :banghead:

orky8

I was the first one (to my knowledge) who used that term, and I can assure you it was not used disparagingly. The mesh is similar to chicken wire in that it is thin. Chicken wire is an apt description, but its not like they just unrolled some chicken wire and put it out there.

This is really a pointless debate and people are defending chicken wire as if it was an insult though no one has used it as such. But, such is the echo chamber that is the internet.

phlip78

Filmed this yesterday when I was at the park. They were testing it and you could hear the sounds of the dwarfs inside the caves if you listened closely. Sounds like rocks being hit with axes. It wasn't the workers, it was a specific sound like characters.

Any word on height restrictions for this ride? Thinking similar to big thunder but wasn't sure.

kap91

I was the first one (to my knowledge) who used that term, and I can assure you it was not used disparagingly. The mesh is similar to chicken wire in that it is thin. Chicken wire is an apt description, but its not like they just unrolled some chicken wire and put it out there.

This is really a pointless debate and people are defending chicken wire as if it was an insult though no one has used it as such. But, such is the echo chamber that is the internet.

And now to cause myself some flack:

I don't feel like digging through the various threads but people were indeed criticizing it like every other thing Disney has done since 2009. And criticizing it heavily. I've frankly had it with all the senseless complaining about everything and anything. It puts a severe dent in Disney's reputation as well as the aura of the board while simultaneously obscuring the legitimate problems around the resort that do need addressing. There is no action WDW has taken in the past few years, no matter how small or large, that hasn't been derided, mocked with heavy doses of cynicism (no matter how good the news), and subsumed into this "WDW has lost its way" narrative and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the bashing of attractions with no regard to common sense, unequal comparisons between WDW, DL, and Universal, lengthy criticism of systems people haven't used or experience, and the general feeling it engenders. People avoid facts, exaggerate the truth on all sides of the debate, live in a world of contradiction and double standards, misinformation runs wild, conclusions are jumped to the second anyone posts a picture or report, the board becomes completely polarized, and I somehow find myself defending the presence of a safety fence.:confused:

There are so many things at WDW that do need to be addressed, that probably will be addressed if given enough time, and that would could entertain lively, productive, discussions. More importantly there are situations that have not become issues but could in the future. but instead the issues are either ignored completely in favor of whatever the jumped conclusion of the week is, or dismissed with a simple "Universal/DL would do it" as if those resorts are somehow immune to problems, and people jump to the short hyperbolic response instead.

So please forgive me if I happened to seize upon your words after they had been commendeered for a different purpose and for this long melodramatic post. I just long for the days of when this board used to be full of speculation, information, balanced and thoughtful analysis and reason. Not just an "echo chamber' of a thousand voices lamenting whatever the news of the week is with a bit of that thrown in occasionally.

DManRightHere

You can't stop stupid people from being stupid, but they can try to slow them down. A small secondary electric fence would do the job.

orky8

And now to cause myself some flack:

I don't feel like digging through the various threads but people were indeed criticizing it like every other thing Disney has done since 2009. And criticizing it heavily. I've frankly had it with all the senseless complaining about everything and anything. It puts a severe dent in Disney's reputation as well as the aura of the board while simultaneously obscuring the legitimate problems around the resort that do need addressing. There is no action WDW has taken in the past few years, no matter how small or large, that hasn't been derided, mocked with heavy doses of cynicism (no matter how good the news), and subsumed into this "WDW has lost its way" narrative and I'm tired of it. I'm tired of the bashing of attractions with no regard to common sense, unequal comparisons between WDW, DL, and Universal, lengthy criticism of systems people haven't used or experience, and the general feeling it engenders. People avoid facts, exaggerate the truth on all sides of the debate, live in a world of contradiction and double standards, misinformation runs wild, conclusions are jumped to the second anyone posts a picture or report, the board becomes completely polarized, and I somehow find myself defending the presence of a safety fence.:confused:

There are so many things at WDW that do need to be addressed, that probably will be addressed if given enough time, and that would could entertain lively, productive, discussions. More importantly there are situations that have not become issues but could in the future. but instead the issues are either ignored completely in favor of whatever the jumped conclusion of the week is, or dismissed with a simple "Universal/DL would do it" as if those resorts are somehow immune to problems, and people jump to the short hyperbolic response instead.

So please forgive me if I happened to seize upon your words after they had been commendeered for a different purpose and for this long melodramatic post. I just long for the days of when this board used to be full of speculation, information, balanced and thoughtful analysis and reason. Not just an "echo chamber' of a thousand voices lamenting whatever the news of the week is with a bit of that thrown in occasionally.
No, I understand. I'm just telling not to trouble yourself with this one. :)

Kman101

Chicken wire is not derogatory at all. It's a common phrase used for that type. It's used for chicken coops. Hence CHICKEN WIRE. I've worked in both Home Depot and Lowes and I can assure it's a very commonly used term for that type of fencing in general.

Seriously. LOL. I doubt anyone used it to "disparage Disney" and if they did, that's on them. Don't sweat the really small stuff. I mean, come on. And if it stands out and looks like an eyesore, when everything else is so greatly done, I personally consider it a valid complaint. That's just me. If you're offended, then I personally think you should have other things to worry about. But to each their own :)

Otherwise, Kap, I agree with you that things are nitpicked to death and you make very valid points, as I have made recently on the frequent complaining just to complain, so I'm with you on that, but it's seriously just chicken wire. And there probably were folks who used it to just complain to complain but I'm not really going to go back and find those posts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom