Seven Dwarfs Mine Train for 6 year old?

historybuff

Original Poster
Our 6 year old son has never ridden on a roller coaster before, but we've watched the video of the 7DMT, and he REALLY wants to ride it. I think he'll be okay, but am curious to hear your thoughts.

He's really not had much experience at all with carnival / amusement park type rides, so we thought we might be able to start out the first day taking him on the Dumbo Ride and the Barnstormer (along with the Pooh ride, Buzz Lightyear ride, etc). I'm guessing if he can handle the Barnstormer without any difficulty, then he likely can handle the 7DMT ride, as well, right???? Should we try to ride the Barnstormer multiple times in a day before taking him on the 7DMT? He easily meets the height requirement, BTW.

Thanks for any input / observations!

TheMouseFan

My 6 year old is not big on "thrill" rides at all and he loved SDMT. My 4 year old nieces had never been on a roller coaster when they rode SDMT, and they loved it also! I think you will be fine! Good luck, and have a great trip!!

Scott10

Don't pass it up!!! My 5 year old loved it.....we visited Magic Kingdom on two separate occasions on this past trip and she got to ride it twice and commented on different parts of the ride both times! She still maintains that Splash Mountain is her favorite though!

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
You know your child better than anyone else, so you can likely make the decision best.
My girl who is 6 now rode ToT at 4, and at 5 did all of the "mountains". Splash is her favorite ride of all. So going by me I say it's a breeze. That however does not speak to your child.
I do say it best to start small and work up though.

Donfan

My 8 year old granddaughter has been riding most of the Disney coasters for years and loves them all. They give her a chance to scream her head off without anyone telling her to be quiet.

mitchk

My 3 1/2 year old daughter liked it. She is not big on thrill rides, but she loved the mine sequence. I would say go for it!

JIMINYCR

It wouldnt hurt to let him experience the barnstormer first. Then allow him to decide if he wants to take on the 7DMT the following day.
I would leave it up to him to decide how daring he wants to get and not push him on something he isnt ready for. We let our DS decide when the time was right for him to ride various attractions and he conquered his imagined fears when he felt brave enough to. There comes a time when a guy says... Yeah I'm ready...even with butterflies in his stomach and steps up to do it. ;)

historybuff

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the EXCELLENT responses! We'll do Barnstormer first--maybe at least twice--and then let him decide. My 4 year old daughter might want to do it, too, it sounds like. She's even more outgoing than her big brother, so she might really enjoy this one, as well. We'll see how they do with the other rides first, though.

Thanks again for all the responses! This board is GREAT!

thelookingglass

Here's what I consider the progression of WDW coasters from most tame to most intense:

Barnstormer - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Primeval Whirl - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Space Mountain - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster/Expedition Everest (tie)

lostpro9het

If your son will ride Goofy's Barnstormer then he will have no problem with this, it's pretty much Barnstormer 2.0 where the only enhancements are an improved queue and ride that has better visual effects.

Last edited:

RememberWhen

We took my 2 year old on 7DMT in September. He loved it! He also loved barnstormer. If your kids like barnstormer, mine train should be ok.

Chef Mickey

I don't understand. If the kid wants to ride something built for kids and meets height requirement, the helicopter/overprotective parents shouldn't worry so much. What's the worst that will happen?

mitchk

Here's what I consider the progression of WDW coasters from most tame to most intense:

Barnstormer - Seven Dwarfs Mine Train - Primeval Whirl - Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - Space Mountain - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster/Expedition Everest (tie)

I kind of agree with you. I would say, Barnstormer, 7 Dwarfs, Big Thunder, Primeval Whirl ( 48 height restriction), Space Mountain, Everest, then Rock 'n' Roller Coaster (the only one with inversions, also 48 restriction)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom