Seven Dwarf mine train needs some help.

NMBC1993

I've never been a fan of the interactive queues, ever since they were first introduced at Space Mountain years ago. They just hold up the line because everyone has to touch the buttons, it wasn't a big deal at HM until FP+ showed up and now forces stand-by guests through the interactive queue as well. I believe interactive queues can be done in a smart way. Look at Forbidden Journey for example, the whole queue is full of things to look at, talking portraits, etc. and doesn't require anyone to touch anything. As others have stated, if TDO took that money and applied it to the ACTUAL ATTRACTION, we could fix a lot of problems.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Oh I always go unplugged to the extreme whilst at WDW....and finally got DH to do so...(and the world did not stop spinning) yes I know sometimes job opportunities and/or family crisis dictate some usage....but it's more the addiction of constantly checking things AND relying on these toys for entertainment unable to deal with boredom.....that being said I can't really say I have ever been bored even standing in line listening to music and visual theming.....I have been hot and exhausted but those things would not be alliviated by a phone unless we now have energy and A/C apps....(hey why can't I insert a smiley here vs it keeps going to beginning of my post??!?! ) So while I agree on the freedom of phone thingy usage, it extremely saddens me to see the massive minset of families gazing at those things instead of soaking up the magic surrounding them....ESPECIALLY during meal times. One Christmas my Dad took us all out for Chinese(his idea Mom has alzheimers and he thought it a treat and insisted) so at Christmas dinner the family of four with two young(under 7 children) ate in silence before during and after staring at electronics...they were right next to me or I wouldn't have noticed so much, but when they left? LOL Mom Dad and sister walked out plugged in and left jr standing inbetween tables for a good 4 minutes before they and HE realized they were divided....he just kept playing his game. I treasure being able to talk to my children on vacation about so many things we did, had done in past memories of park, and plan what to do next.

It's the addiction aspect of it that bothers me....and as we know most addicts will be in denial and defensive to reasons why vs reasons to interact the old fashioned way. imho...(any help on smilies insertion welcome!!! :p ) I put that one in manually....:rolleyes:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Oh and I really DO like the interactive queues, but especially like it when as in the HM you have the option to bypass when desired and hop back on ride! :D

AgeEight-E

That's when I become REALLY wide.

Feet spread apart far enough to trip those trying to pass me in line, elbows out to stick in your gut as you try to cut in line....

I HATE line jumpers and I will not move out of their way....they can crawl between my legs if they really want to pass me.

Years ago, my whole extended family had a day at Six Flags Magic Mountain. We were waiting in line for one of the roller coasters, when up from behind us came a boy of probably nine or ten, who was making his way up through the line with a purposeful stride, going "'Scuse me... 'scuse me... 'scuse me..." and everyone was letting him past.

He came up behind my dad, who was filling a little too much space for the kid to squeeze past, and was forced to pause. He looked up and said again, "'Scuse me."

My dad looked down at him and said, "No. We're in line here."

The kid pointed up ahead to the boarding pavilion and protested, "...But I've gotta get up there."

"Yeah?" replied my Dad. "So do we." He then moved his leg fully across the kid's path.

The kid just waited in line behind him at that point until we got on the ride, then boarded alone. Naturally, he was just line jumping. I was incredibly proud of my dad for that, and got to enjoy the looks on the faces of the people behind us who realized they'd fallen for it.

MM91

Off topic question but one I'm curious about. How tall is the main drop after the mine scene and the height of the mountain(if you can call it that)? This kind of info really interests me. Thanks to anyone who knows.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Off topic question but one I'm curious about. How tall is the main drop after the mine scene and the height of the mountain(if you can call it that)? This kind of info really interests me. Thanks to anyone who knows.
41 ft drop according to wikipedia.

Fantasmicguy

I could take or leave the interactive queue elements ... but I really don't see how it adds to the length of anyone's wait. Sure, there can be a brief back-up around the interactive element, but as long as its not too close to the boarding area, there's plenty of time to "catch-up" to the waiting point. I'm sure there are folks that will abuse the opportunity to interact with the elements by spending too much time there, but I also think that they would probably be fine with being passed up after a reasonable amount of time.
Exactly! For example in Space Mountain there is never a hold up near the games.The line takes forever at the snake part (boarding) of the queue.

erasure fan1

Oh I always go unplugged to the extreme whilst at WDW....and finally got DH to do so...
Well here is the problem I see. Because of fast pass plus, you are almost forced to use your phone. Its either use it or stand in a long line to make your next fast pass. We saw more people walking around looking at their phones/tablets not paying attention than we ever have. It was very annoying to say the least.

dstrawn9889

Well here is the problem I see. Because of fast pass plus, you are almost forced to use your phone. Its either use it or stand in a long line to make your next fast pass. We saw more people walking around looking at their phones/tablets not paying attention than we ever have. It was very annoying to say the least.
why does what soemone else is doing bothering you? i mean, if they had their hand in your pocket, sure... but the way you said it, they were walking around, not physically blocking or interfering with you... what is your problem with them?

erasure fan1

why does what someone else is doing bothering you? i mean, if they had their hand in your pocket, sure... but the way you said it, they were walking around, not physically blocking or interfering with you... what is your problem with them?
That was the problem. People standing in front of attraction entrances trying to book a fastpass, walking while trying to do their fastpass not paying attention to where they are walking... To me it was very annoying. I can only imagine how long this is going to take to get better. People still hadn't got the hang of regular fastpass and now they have this to deal with.

tdpolo26

this is not directed at anyone in particular just my random thoughts about the negative comments across all the boards about children, and by children I mean birth to about 10 or 11

omg honestly lighten up .... anywhere you go there is going to be somebody doing something that someone doesn't agree with... dear lord so you had to wait 10 seconds for the line to move forward then stop..... its the hurry up to wait syndrome... not to mention Disney making people more dependent on smart phones in the park ... kids will be kids... and parents should parent... raising kids is prolly 10 times tougher just trying to shelter them from the media blitzkrieg of things they don't need to know about... then you have to watch out for drugs in the schools as early as 5th grade .... 5th freaking grade!!!! not to mention the moment a kids does start running around and acting like a kid you are told to make them stand still. people who talk about the lines... well 20 years ago the lines were not what they are now.. how many people out there have 2 to 5 year olds that stand in 100 degree heat with there hands folded say please and thankyou and are able to make more then 30 min in a line... I think the problem is not the kids its people have lost the patients/ability to socially interact with other people including kids.. everyone is looking for a problem and if that ruins your trip it was prolly ruined before you started... because if you expect Disney to be a military boot camp where everyone follows every order and direction it isn't... never gonna be. now I am sure I will get some flaming for my post and so be it, normally I am the humorous guy on the boards but I am so sick of the whining and complaining and everyone thinking they could do better and there children where angels.
by the way when we are in line I tend to interact with the people around me ....we have met some of the nicest people in line who not only loved the way my daughter twirled her dress but had lengthy conversations about the wicked step sisters, to where to find hidden mickeys at 3 years old she was very interested... if the parents seem cool which we are for the most part... maybe say hi to the kids who are having a ruff day ... ask them what there favorite ride is.. maybe you could make a little magic for someone else, or help a struggling parent out. pay it forward!!!!
one last thing.... interactive que are annoying for the most part... cant they make the que a conveyour belt and have the interactive parts move with you lol at least you wouldn't have to move from your spot constantly

AndyMagic

...cant they make the que a conveyour belt and have the interactive parts move with you lol at least you wouldn't have to move from your spot constantly

Please don't give Disney any ideas. They are already essentially turning into the massive conglomerate, Buy 'n' Large from their own film Wall-E. Let's not allow them to make those obese spherical blobs from the film who refuse to walk a reality too.

Lauren_71

i think interactive queues were built because most people have such short attention spans and arnt able or are unwilling to take the time to soak in the environs and hold pleasant conversations within families or other line dwellers.

Completely agree.... the whole enjoyment of Disney is soaking in the details of the stories before actually going on the attraction, games like this one during the queue just take away from the atmosphere

Billq

Anybody who visits a place like Disneyland or WDW or Universal and can't leave their phone off is an absolute effing MORON!!!! And people with iPads are even BIGGER morons!!! I was watching Wishes once, and some idiot in front of me had his white iPad WAY up high to catch the fireworks. I finally asked him to cut it out because it was blocking the site line for people behind him. He stopped taking pictures, but he was ed. But tough!

And I can't use the language I'd prefer to use for parents who won't discipline their kids at the parks. Or who tug on ride features (as I once saw some stupid lady do in the queue for the Mermaid ride. Thankfully, everything was glued firmly in place). I agree that the interactive queues are a major fail. Giving kids (and idiot grownups) expensive toys to break is always a dumb idea.

And I can't BELIEVE that the figures in the cottage scene are still broken!!! What's so complicated about the simple motions of turning in circles that the Imagineers can't seem to fix?

You have hit the nail on the head (would have rather hit these idiots in line with a hammer) you pay almost a hundred bucks to have some fun and there's always some idiot or their snotty kid irritating the hell out of everyone. These interactive queues are stupid, all they do is jam up the line even more, now you have to wait for some idiot to stop playing with crap so you can move forward in line.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The ride just opened to the public in June.....and rider-caused damage already. :banghead:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I don't have a problem with folks using their smartphones while waiting in line, as long as they pay attention to the line moving. What I have an issue with are parents who are so engaged with that electronic device in their hands they are ignoring their children. I grabbed a stroller that was rolling down the hill outside Yak & Yeti because the father was too busy playing on his phone to notice that the stroller with his baby was rolling away from him. Gave it back to him, saying, "I think you lost this". He was a little puzzled but his screaming wife smacked him when she ran up to him.

Yes, I look at my phone to check on fastpasses, standby times, dining reservations, occupy my time while waiting 45 minutes in standby for 7DMT, but not to the extent that I miss (1) the experience of being in the parks and more importantly (2) interacting with my daughter. And yes, we've shown each other photos we've taken on our phones during meals but we are not glued to our phones to the extent the other could be kidnapped by aliens and we wouldn't notice..... That's my main beef - people interact more with the electronic device in their hand than the people around them and especially their family. That's sad to witness.

Billq

I don't have a problem with folks using their smartphones while waiting in line, as long as they pay attention to the line moving. What I have an issue with are parents who are so engaged with that electronic device in their hands they are ignoring their children. I grabbed a stroller that was rolling down the hill outside Yak & Yeti because the father was too busy playing on his phone to notice that the stroller with his baby was rolling away from him. Gave it back to him, saying, "I think you lost this". He was a little puzzled but his screaming wife smacked him when she ran up to him.

Yes, I look at my phone to check on fastpasses, standby times, dining reservations, occupy my time while waiting 45 minutes in standby for 7DMT, but not to the extent that I miss (1) the experience of being in the parks and more importantly (2) interacting with my daughter. And yes, we've shown each other photos we've taken on our phones during meals but we are not glued to our phones to the extent the other could be kidnapped by aliens and we wouldn't notice..... That's my main beef - people interact more with the electronic device in their hand than the people around them and especially their family. That's sad to witness.

I have seen all too much of this in the parks, what makes me upset is the people that are so engaged in their phones they delay an already long line

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom