Seven Dwarf mine train needs some help.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Just went on today and while most things were fine there were some signs of wear and tear already. For one the signs instructing you how to interact with the games in the queue are already torn and peeling off almost completely
seven-dwarfs-mine-train-at-walt-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom-in-new-fantasyland-127.jpg

This one and the one on the other side near the spigot. As for the ride itself the mine scene was in working order, but snow white and dopey were very much still broken. Which is concerning considering how they have been down and out for the past couple of days.

flyerjab

Just went on today and while most things were fine there were some signs of wear and tear already. For one the signs instructing you how to interact with the games in the queue are already torn and peeling off almost completely
seven-dwarfs-mine-train-at-walt-disney-worlds-magic-kingdom-in-new-fantasyland-127.jpg

This one and the one on the other side near the spigot. As for the ride itself the mine scene was in working order, but snow white and dopey were very much still broken. Which is concerning considering how they have been down and out for the past couple of days.

What gets me about the signs being torn is that guests in line are responsible for the damage.

I was there last week and rode on it Thursday evening, Friday morning and Sunday evening. The fact that instruction signs were already torn points out the fact that there are idiots in line that enjoy damaging park property. Also, we went in standby on Thursday evening, and although the water effect with the musical notes is neat, what the Imagineers don't always consider is what unsupervised kids will do with the water. When some parents were busy enjoying their smart phones, their kids were collecting handfuls of water and throwing it at not only each other, but ultimately other guests in the line. I know I saw some people's smart phones get hit with water. The parents of the kids just really did not seem to care. At some point in time, WDW will have a fight break out in that line.

As far as the cottage scene not working, we rode on it 3 times last week and it only worked once out of those three times. I know the ride is new and the animatronics are complex, but 1 out of 3 is not good show (if only Ben Revere could hit that percentage in the lead off spot). Especially with the money you pay, coupled with watching this ride being constructed the past several years, getting the video sneak peaks, planning your trip, and driving there from Pennsylvania. You finally get there, wait in line for over an hour, and the final scene is dark with no movement? Disappointing. When it did work on Friday morning, the ride was excellent. I just hope they get all of the bugs worked out soon though.

The dwarf mine scene worked every time, and IMHO, was amazing. It will be nice if they can use that projection effect in future rides...whenever they make more rides. :D

George Lucas on a Bench

The solution is to just stop with this tacky interactive queue nonsense. You never give guests and their out-of-control children the opportunity to screw around with things. Remember how they decided in the late 60s to not make The Haunted Mansion a walk-through attraction because they figured it would get vandalized? Yet another example of modern Imagineering second-guessing the genius of WED. Everyone in line is just staring at their phone anyway.

rob0519

Stop building interactive queues, agreed. Move the money budgeted for the queue to making the attraction animations more dependable. This attraction has been open for less than a month and is already malfunctioning. I'd love to hear the conversations between the engineering and construction teams about why it's malfunctioning and how it will be corrected. Of course, maybe their still talking about the Yeti and will get back to Snow White in a few years.

Magenta Panther

Anybody who visits a place like Disneyland or WDW or Universal and can't leave their phone off is an absolute effing MORON!!!! And people with iPads are even BIGGER morons!!! I was watching Wishes once, and some idiot in front of me had his white iPad WAY up high to catch the fireworks. I finally asked him to cut it out because it was blocking the site line for people behind him. He stopped taking pictures, but he was ed. But tough!

And I can't use the language I'd prefer to use for parents who won't discipline their kids at the parks. Or who tug on ride features (as I once saw some stupid lady do in the queue for the Mermaid ride. Thankfully, everything was glued firmly in place). I agree that the interactive queues are a major fail. Giving kids (and idiot grownups) expensive toys to break is always a dumb idea.

And I can't BELIEVE that the figures in the cottage scene are still broken!!! What's so complicated about the simple motions of turning in circles that the Imagineers can't seem to fix?

cw1982

I didn't go through standby when we rode this last week, and I'm certainly no Imagineer, but with those facts in mind:

1) Why would WDW put those signs in a format that makes them that easy for guests to destroy them? Could they not have been made out of something more durable? Not like that little bit would have added much more to the cost of the project in the grand scheme of things.

2) I don't understand why the figures in the cottage scene would already need to be fixed. What's so high tech and complex about them that they can't work correctly on a consistent basis? It's not like the parts should have had time to wear down yet.

I will say that the one time I rode, everything was working as it should.

ETA: I will say that, as someone who works with children for a living, I actually like the idea of interactive queues because too many kids nowadays lack the imaginative skills it takes to not get bored while waiting in long lines (think about how many kids you see whose parents give them ipads, etc to play with during dinner to keep them occupied while the grownups enjoy a nice meal), but they need to be durable, cost effective, and still hold a child's interest long enough to keep the misery that is waiting in an hour+ line with a toddler a little more manageable.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I really dislike interactive queues...Interactive queues only hold up lines, imo. Even in regular queues, I've seen children misbehaving and their parents too busy to care. I hate when parents don't pay attention to their children and continue to move up in line while their child is holding up the line climbing on railings and such. :mad:

Didn't they have an issue with people damaging property when Be Our Guest opened?

cw1982

I really dislike interactive queues...Interactive queues only hold up lines, imo. Even in regular queues, I've seen children misbehaving and their parents too busy to care. I hate when parents don't pay attention to their children and continue to move up in line while their child is holding up the line climbing on railings and such. :mad:

Didn't they have an issue with people damaging property when Be Our Guest opened?

Yeah, I can't stand it when parents don't watch their children. IMO it's becoming a bigger and bigger problem lately, and not just at theme parks.

IMO, if someone is holding up the queue by playing with the interactive parts, then everyone else just walks around them and keeps moving. There's no reason why those things should slow everyone else down. I get that some people don't see it that way if their kids are the ones who are holding up progress, but when this kind of stuff happened while we were at WDW, no one seemed to mind having people go around them for a variety of reasons: stopping to take pictures of things that caught their interest, talking to Mr. Potato Head at TSMM, or stopping to push buttons on Space Mountain lol. Everyone seemed to be able to make this work just fine. Maybe it's worse on more crowded days.... *shrug*

rob0519

It's not usually the Imagineer's fault when things break, it's just that TDO hates spending money on fixing things.
If things were engineered to run efficiently without being overly complicated and constructed properly with parts of adequate quality rather than the cheapest materials, TDO might not have to fix as many things. An attraction having it's do.all scene not working over 50 per cent of the time in its first month of operation is horrible and a failure by any quality measurements.

wdrive

If things were engineered to run efficiently without being overly complicated and constructed properly with parts of adequate quality rather than the cheapest materials, TDO might not have to fix as many things. An attraction having it's do.all scene not working over 50 per cent of the time in its first month of operation is horrible and a failure by any quality measurements.

The dwarf animatronics in the cottage are from the old Snow White ride so maybe if TDO coughed up for some new dwarfs then they might still be working.
Money solves a lot of problems like this.

doctornick

IMO, if someone is holding up the queue by playing with the interactive parts, then everyone else just walks around them and keeps moving. There's no reason why those things should slow everyone else down.

I know it feels frustrating to be waiting in line and seeing a "gap" form in front of a person in front of you in line. But the reality is that as long as you "catch up" to the line at some point before loading or the merge point with FP+, this behavior does not make you wait any longer.

Last edited:

cw1982

I know it feels frustrating to be waiting in line and seeing a "gap" form in front of a person in front of you in line. But the reality is that as long as you "catch you" to the line at some point before loading or the merge point with FP+, this behavior does not make you wait any longer.

Oh I agree. I was just referring to the fact that, in the off chance that a kid is so mesmerized with a game in the queue that they don't move down the line, it's not like those behind them have to wait for the kid to lose interest to move on. So at worst case, the only people being delayed are those who are playing with the game.

mp2bill

It's unfortunate that people would pick at/tear the signs. Also, it's surprising that the signs aren't somehow part of the barrel or made of thick plastic and secured to the barrel.

Last edited:

RivieraJenn

Interactive queues are hell for parents. Yes, I mean those of us who are trying to actually "parent." See, I'm trying to move my child along in the line. But then Disney throws in an interactive element. My kindergartener sees the kids in front of him playing musical instruments on a tomb stone and naturally wants to try it, too. Hey, it's fun. Lines are boring. Kids are inquisitive. Now, I'm trying to pull my child away from something that was interesting to him, all the while terrified that the people behind me are fuming because we're holding up the line for 2.5 seconds while I drag my child away from a road block put there by the Imagineers.

I don't mind the CONCEPT of interactive queues. The problem is the implementation. Every interactive element I've seen, with the possible exception of the honey walls at Pooh, assumes that you are completely stopped at that point in the line. For a good while. This is rarely the case unless there is a ride breakdown. If Disney could design an interactive element that worked while you continued to move ahead in the line, it would both entertain guests waiting in long lines and prevent bottlenecks.

cw1982

I've not seen the attraction, but if the animatonics are from the old ride, I agree. Cutting corners to save a few dollars by reusing old technology is ridiculous.

At the risk of changing the topic of the thread, I wish more parents would actually parent and teach their kids how to do real life things like wait in lines lol. I see too many kids who have no life skills by the time they get to their senior year of high school. Stuff like this adds up!

Sorry... Rant over. Back to your regularly scheduled thread ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom