Sentinel - Disney World draining, filling in long-abandoned River Country pool

MaryJaneP

Glass half full. Filled in with dirt is at least preservative. It could have been demolished. As unlikely as it is, it could be unfilled-in at some future date, inspected, repaired if needed, and re-used. We know, it is wishful thinking and highly unlikely. However, given the alternatives, we are somewhat heartened by this choice.

discos

Theres an abandoned water park near me that I explored and all the old pools that used to hold water were filled in with soil. Filling in an abandoned pool is definitely much cheaper than demolition and protects them from liability if someone was fall in. I'm surprised this wasn't done sooner to be honest.

alissafalco

There are plenty of locations even if we were to just stay around Seven seas lagoon. There's a plot between the contemporary and TTC which was originally supposed to be an asian inspired resort back in the 70's. There's also at least 2 spots between MK and the Grand Floridian that were also planned in the 70's which is why the monorail track has a large elevation change in that area. There's also another 1 or 2 locations around Bay Lake by the looks of things. There's also a few other decent size plots scattered about the property and if they really want to they could build something off of the new Western Way extension that's being constructed. Long story short, Rarely is it safe to assume what is and is not possible with Disney. Unlike the real world Disney controls the local government (reedy creek) and thus they can imagine whatever they want in a lot of respects and make it happen.

The area between TTC and Contemp has been tested over and over again and the ground is supposedly still unfit for building upon. Western Way backs up against Disney trash heap and sewage treatment area and I certainly wouldn't pay for a DVC membership to smell that my entire stay. But building an entire new DVC resort that is nowhere near any other Disney facility takes a LARGE plot of land, not small. Besides the resort itself there is parking lots, bus areas, backstage areas, loading areas, storage, maintenance facilities, etc. All these things can take up a lot of space.
According to wdw1974 they were also supposed to build a DVC behind Epcot as well, but was scrapped due to budget.

Aqueeta

I can see some idiot over reacting about Zika and ordering the pool filled over the advise of their advisors. But doing it as a feel good move...
Probably the same idiot ordering the bug spray to be handed out in the parks. I wonder if that idiot has been listening to what the OB's are telling Disney's pregnant visitors?

LongLiveTheKing

Exactly! They can claim this is because they care about protecting their guests, thus generating some much needed good PR, and then follow through with plans for even more DVC atrocities. It's a win-win!:rolleyes:
Furthermore, what can they call this new DVC area once it's done? River Country Lodges/Villa and appeal to a huge amount of nostalgia and even allure for those too young to have gone. They'll say "We're bringing River Country BACK, guys" and everyone goes nuts

If they do a RC Lodge or better yet a hotel (wishful thinking for the latter) something I'd hope they theme it like River Country. That would have such a huge draw especially if they redid one of the pools and slides to have it serve as a normal hotel pool and further drive home the "we're conserving history" nostalgia angle.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I don't understand how this is a potential liability. Isn't River Country still entirely fenced off?
Fences are a lot like walls. You can put up as many as you want, but, if someone want to get over (or under) it they will do so. Liability will come in when something happens that could have easily been avoided by simply filling in the hole with something that they have in abundance at WDW... dirt!

matt9112

Well, how many golf courses do they have? Too many in my book. And they take up a TON of space.

lol in general WDW has tons of land but you need to give somebody a reason to spend 50 grand or more....building one say way down western way wont cut it.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
I don't understand how this is a potential liability. Isn't River Country still entirely fenced off?

Mickey's Backyard BBQ is held adjacent to some of River Country property. Its walled off but easy to get around from my understanding. We keep having countless urban explorers keep trying to get in. All it takes is one accident and they're screwed. They should have torn it all down years ago.

LongLiveTheKing

Well I hope they don't bulldoze Discovery Island. I'd rather they clean it up and just reopen it.
The reason River Country closed was the same reason Discovery Island closed: over time they had made much bigger areas covering the same interests. A lot of the animals from DI were even transferred to Animal Kingdom.
Mickey's Backyard BBQ is held adjacent to some of River Country property. Its walled off but easy to get around from my understanding. We keep having countless urban explorers keep trying to get in. All it takes is one accident and they're screwed. They should have torn it all down years ago.
Ok that makes sense. I thought literally 100% of it was fenced off and I definitely have seen a lot of those people going over the fence videos.

AEfx

Exactly. Just check out YouTube.

If they want it to be reclaimed swampland - fine - take all the junk out of it and let it all grow over. Just having that empty stuff sitting there is just a safety hazard waiting to be, I can't for the life of me see why anyone would object at this point to doing what, as you said, should have been done long ago.

To be honest, I see this as more as a first step to much larger changes to the SSL area, I think folks are going to have to get used to it not being left the stagnant bog it has been for so many years now.

Last edited:

squeek

20160828_000835.png
I found this image online.

dgp602

IMG_3597.JPG

In honor of what seems like the start of the final demise of River Country, I present to you this: I bought this on Ebay over 10 yrs ago. It was one of the original fake logs that was positioned underneath the rope ladder in River Country. This was taken today!! I'm trying to dig up an old River Country photo to show where and how these were used! But in the meantime, take comfort knowing that a little bit of River Country lives on up in New Hampshire and still brings joy to kids!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom