Sentinel - Disney World draining, filling in long-abandoned River Country pool

spaceghost

It's for the children, most over used sentence ever.

It's like when drug prices go up hugely on a drug.

Answer: The money is for new research for drugs that will cure horrible diseases, we will give support to those who are having trouble affording our drug.

The children of tomorrow may not have to live with these horrible health problems that our research may solve.

It's for the children, don't you like children? Do you want the children harmed? Etc. etc. all BS.
31914460.jpg

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Wasn't this rumored a long time ago to be the site of the Buffalo Junction project? With the all the new construction going on at WL, there will be more occupancy. Adding additional capacity and entertainment options would make sense. Buffalo Junction seemed like a cool concept (WL, Junction, and FW tied together by train was a plus as well).

21stamps

As to the subject of the thread- I don't think it matters what they do with the space. It's not in use now. If it becomes DVC, that's fine with me, doesn't impact my trips.
I have never stayed at Ft Wilderness, but I have been to River Country, I do wish they would replicate some of it at a FW pool, small scale, but the slides were amazing, maybe a tire swing? The problem is, I think most of what was at River Country would be considered too high of a liability in present day. Ya know, gotta protect stupid people from themselves and all...
If they do stupid things then they sue. So, gotta protect everyone.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And this my friends is why the internet is full of hair brain schemes and stupidity that people repost and share without an ounce of scrutiny or blame.

People seeing things they don't understand and filling in the gaps with their own agendas.

roj2323

There aren't too many places left to build an entirely new DVC that isn't attached to another resort.

There are plenty of locations even if we were to just stay around Seven seas lagoon. There's a plot between the contemporary and TTC which was originally supposed to be an asian inspired resort back in the 70's. There's also at least 2 spots between MK and the Grand Floridian that were also planned in the 70's which is why the monorail track has a large elevation change in that area. There's also another 1 or 2 locations around Bay Lake by the looks of things. There's also a few other decent size plots scattered about the property and if they really want to they could build something off of the new Western Way extension that's being constructed. Long story short, Rarely is it safe to assume what is and is not possible with Disney. Unlike the real world Disney controls the local government (reedy creek) and thus they can imagine whatever they want in a lot of respects and make it happen.

raven

There are plenty of locations even if we were to just stay around Seven seas lagoon. There's a plot between the contemporary and TTC which was originally supposed to be an asian inspired resort back in the 70's. There's also at least 2 spots between MK and the Grand Floridian that were also planned in the 70's which is why the monorail track has a large elevation change in that area. There's also another 1 or 2 locations around Bay Lake by the looks of things. There's also a few other decent size plots scattered about the property and if they really want to they could build something off of the new Western Way extension that's being constructed. Long story short, Rarely is it safe to assume what is and is not possible with Disney. Unlike the real world Disney controls the local government (reedy creek) and thus they can imagine whatever they want in a lot of respects and make it happen.
The area between TTC and Contemp has been tested over and over again and the ground is supposedly still unfit for building upon. Western Way backs up against Disney trash heap and sewage treatment area and I certainly wouldn't pay for a DVC membership to smell that my entire stay. But building an entire new DVC resort that is nowhere near any other Disney facility takes a LARGE plot of land, not small. Besides the resort itself there is parking lots, bus areas, backstage areas, loading areas, storage, maintenance facilities, etc. All these things can take up a lot of space.

roj2323

The area between TTC and Contemp has been tested over and over again and the ground is supposedly still unfit for building upon. Western Way backs up against Disney trash heap and sewage treatment area and I certainly wouldn't pay for a DVC membership to smell that my entire stay. But building an entire new DVC resort that is nowhere near any other Disney facility takes a LARGE plot of land, not small. Besides the resort itself there is parking lots, bus areas, backstage areas, loading areas, storage, maintenance facilities, etc. All these things can take up a lot of space.

I worked on property for Several years so please do not assume I'm an idiot. Also this map disagrees with you:
LandUse1.jpg
LandUse2.jpg

Last edited:

raven

I worked on property for Several years. Do not assume I'm an idiot. Also this map disagrees with you:
LandUse1.jpg
LandUse2.jpg
Never said you were an idiot. But this rendering isn't anywhere near what is actually available according to the Master Planning department in WDI. Also remember that several large areas are deemed for preservation as per the agreement with the state.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Just tear it all down, and at some point later on down the road, build the park back up at a different location with the same theming.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Never said you were an idiot. But this rendering isn't anywhere near what is actually available according to the Master Planning department in WDI. Also remember that several large areas are deemed for preservation as per the agreement with the state.

And can have that preservation designation removed if they want to. This recently happened with the green conservation area just to the east of DHS.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
@roj2323 If you could stop promoting facts with evidence that would be gratefully appreciated

MotherOfBirds

River Country has been an attractive nuisance at the very least, and now they've got a reason/excuse to address some of it with a net PR gain. They would let it sit there forever if there was nothing to gain from fooling with it.

Goofyernmost

I can see some idiot over reacting about Zika and ordering the pool filled over the advise of their advisors. But doing it as a feel good move...
Well, if you think about it, one of the first knee jerk reactions was to inexplicably blame the abandoned River Country for the presence of Alligators with the unfortunate accident at the GF. So, logically if anyone gets so much as a bug bite anywhere within a hundred miles or River Country... the blame will be on that. If they aren't going to use it they should have filled it in anyway. An open deserted pool is an invitation for trouble. So if nothing else, it is a positive result of a bad situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom