selling pins

doc-rock

Original Poster
I'm new to both the list and the idea of pin trading. In three weeks, my family with be "doing Disney". I have an etiquette/ethical question:

I have purchased a large number of Disney pins from ebay. My daughter will have a blast trading, I'm sure. The question is, is it ok to sell a few pins for around $2 each if another family wants a few? Although it seems like no harm, no foul (everyone wins), I suspect WDW would not approve.

Does anyone have experience with this one way or the other? Thanks!

David

I'm glad to see this thread about pins. A coworker is going to Disney in about 5 weeks and was asking about the pins. I have never bought or traded pins, and really know very little about them. How much are the pins? Where do you get them? Anything about the whole pin thing would be helpful.

Pioneer Hall

Pins are available almost everywhere you look. They cost between 6.50-12.50 each. Some are even a little more than that, but that is the range for most. Pins can be traded with Lanyard wearing CM's and with other guests.

For great Pin Information go to www.dizpins.com

DanStat

???

I don't really understand what you're asking, but money exhanging hands for pins during a trade in WDW is prohibited.

www.wdwig.com has a section devoted to pin trading ettiquite.

:confused:

BradleyJ

Re: ???

Originally posted by disneyprep50321
I don't really understand what you're asking, but money exhanging hands for pins during a trade in WDW is prohibited.

I know that Disney CM's would never be allow to buy a pin of in a trade with a guest. All Trades with CM's have to be a one-for-one trade, and only with the ones from their lanyard.

But Disney does keep a hands off policy when it comes to private trades between guest.

Maria

If you sell them to other guests, I don´t see the problem... the only one I think would be, is that most likely they will want to "trade", not buy...

It´s forbidden if you try doing it with Cast Members, as it is also forbidden for them to sell their cast member pins (at least inside the park)... The cast members wearing the landyards are the ones who trade pins, but they only trade Disney pins, so look for them! ;)

TURKEY

Uh, I'm pretty sure that's not legal to do in the parks. It would be like me taking cases of drinks in and selling them for a dollar. Disney would get mad. You'll probally be kicked out of the park for the length of your stay and could face criminal prosecution.

I'd stick with trading the pins you bought and not try to sell them. They call it pin trading for a reason.

doc-rock

Original Poster
pin selling

Thanks for the info people. I was talking about selling pins to other guests- like the parents of a kid who really wants a few pins to trade, but don't want to spend $30 bucks.

I know that cast members only trade pins- we'll be happily trading as much as we can, now that I have 60+ pins (nearly all 7 dwarfs).

From what I can gather, selling pins (to other guests) on Disney property is probably not cool, but I doubt illegal.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Originally posted by TiggerDaddy
Why would Disney care? They are making their 300% profit margin at the original point of sale.

only 55% profit margin there..

they would care, because they don't allow private vendors on their property UNLESS they're a participant. You would be in violation of Orange County regulations on street vending. Although I highly doubt you'll get caught, the penalties are stiff for this (like jailtime and high fines). So if you do it, make sure that no OC Sheriff's Deputies are around, because lately they've been in the parks a LOT.

TiggerDaddy

Is trading limited to 1 for 1 or could you trade 4 "cheap pins" for 1 expensive one? E-Bay is a good place to start a collection. If you watch, you can get some really good deals at or below retail, including shipping.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by TiggerDaddy
Is trading limited to 1 for 1 or could you trade 4 "cheap pins" for 1 expensive one? E-Bay is a good place to start a collection. If you watch, you can get some really good deals at or below retail, including shipping.

All CM trades are 1 for 1. Guest Trades are whatever you think is fair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom