Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Goofyernmost

For what it's worth... I was there last week and noticed only one my entire trip. Could this possible be yet another greatly exaggerated thing simply because we like to complain about things? When it comes down to outside photo's it actually takes up far less room then having someone take your picture in the middle of the walkway.

Cesar R M

For what it's worth... I was there last week and noticed only one my entire trip. Could this possible be yet another greatly exaggerated thing simply because we like to complain about things? When it comes down to outside photo's it actually takes up far less room then having someone take your picture in the middle of the walkway.
a person will take your photo and is easier to see and dodge.

if someone is completely absorbed with a self stick.. other persons might not see the guy sticking the thing out and might get hit.
Also, people retract the stick or move it very fast after the photo (they want to make sure the photo looks ok)
this sudden movement can hit other people.

wogwog

If everyone who is annoyed by these "inconsiderate I am special" people will do two things It will accelerate the inevitable banning of these sticks by Disney. This is for sticks, tablets, flash, chanting or any other inconsiderate stupidity.

When you are on any attraction refuse to exit and demand a re-ride without standing in line again. The CM will usually not raise a fuss. On a rare occasion, it would surprise me if they do, the CM is reluctant demand a Guest Service Manager be called to speak to you. Note the time, the attraction, the cast member and Manager name. Follow up with a visit to GR if you have time if not write to Disney.

The sticks, especially, are already banned at many other public venues. You can make it happen at Disney if enough of us do as I and my friends and family do. I really do not want the re-ride but am making an issue for Disney by causing a CM, Manager, and GR to put up with me.

I have never been refused a re-ride by the way. I do not abuse the issue if the guests around me do not act up on a ride or attraction but stand my ground when they do.

melmel89

If everyone who is annoyed by these "inconsiderate I am special" people will do two things It will accelerate the inevitable banning of these sticks by Disney. This is for sticks, tablets, flash, chanting or any other inconsiderate stupidity.

When you are on any attraction refuse to exit and demand a re-ride without standing in line again. The CM will usually not raise a fuss. On a rare occasion, it would surprise me if they do, the CM is reluctant demand a Guest Service Manager be called to speak to you. Note the time, the attraction, the cast member and Manager name. Follow up with a visit to GR if you have time if not write to Disney.

The sticks, especially,are already banned at many other pupil venues. You can make it happen at Disney if enough of us do as I and my friends and family do. I really do not want the re-ride but am making to Disney by causing a CM, Manager, and GR to put up with me.

I have never been refused a re-ride by the way. I do not abuse the issue if the guests around me do not act up on a ride or attraction but stand my ground when they do.
Thanks for that info I didn't know you could do that, we had our ride spoiled by a large group of Brazilian teens on ToT last year. They were shouting obscenities, throwing things etc I wish I had known that then!

Arthur Wellesley

But that's the problem...people don't act. The inconsiderate ones thrive on this. They know that usually the worst that happens is they get a dirty look, or people mumble under their breath about how rude the behavior is, then go online after their trip complaining about what happened.

It's become an unspoken rule that many of the flash-photographers, line-jumpers, etc. take full advantage of: "You'd better not break the rules at Disney...or some guest may give you a dirty look." *oh the horror* ;)

tribbleorlfl

I'm sure if you're someone who has experienced the problems and situations described (pictures being ruined, fireworks shots being interrupted, getting hit with these things) you too would be rather upset and ready to take action.
It's only inconsiderate until somebody decides to hold one out during a ride and it smacks off the scenery into someone else.
If you think obstructed photos or accidental (though ill-conceived) contact warrants theft, vandalism or physical violence towards the offender (all of which have been suggested by posters ITT), then I've got nothing for you. It's silly and immature to suggest one-upping inconsiderate behavior with such aggressive behavior.

lazyboy97o

If you think obstructed photos or accidental (though ill-conceived) contact warrants theft, vandalism or physical violence towards the offender (all of which have been suggested by posters ITT), then I've got nothing for you. It's silly and immature to suggest one-upping inconsiderate behavior with such aggressive behavior.
A selfie stick being bounced off the scenery of something like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad easily has the potential to be more than a small, accidental tap.

Bugz

Wait until the Brazilian tour groups get their hands on these things.
Bad enough they just have to all be in a group i just wish Disney would limit the groups to maybe 10 ? so you could walk around and feel like they didnt own the place. Now with the sticks it gonna b worse!!

ToInfinityAndBeyond

I had a family turn around to me and chew me out for asking someone ELSE to stop taking flash pictures (in our faces) on Pirates.

Man takes multiple pictures from his camera, facing back from the front row, of his child in the row behind him. The flash goes right into our faces each time.
Me: "Excuse me, can you please stop with the flash?"
Guy in the row in front of me: "Hey, why don't you relax? He's just getting a picture of his kid, guy."
Me: "In the dark, in my face. I'm sure his pictures will look great."

Some people just don't care about you or your family. It's all about them. Their kids, their time. Respect is a unicorn at WDW, these days.

(That Pirates story is a lot longer, but that was my biggest pet peeve).

wogwog

I had a family turn around to me and chew me out for asking someone ELSE to stop taking flash pictures (in our faces) on Pirates.

Man takes multiple pictures from his camera, facing back from the front row, of his child in the row behind him. The flash goes right into our faces each time.
Me: "Excuse me, can you please stop with the flash?"
Guy in the row in front of me: "Hey, why don't you relax? He's just getting a picture of his kid, guy."
Me: "In the dark, in my face. I'm sure his pictures will look great."

Some people just don't care about you or your family. It's all about them. Their kids, their time. Respect is a unicorn at WDW, these days.

(That Pirates story is a lot longer, but that was my biggest pet peeve).
Demand a re-ride when you were in a boat with stupid "special" people. Point them out loudly to the cast at the end and you get bonus points. You will be given another ride.

KLinder7

Something people don't realize, and I could be wrong about this, is that other guests can easily help you. There's nothing wrong with asking someone else to take a picture, it's all in how you approach someone to do it. You never know, you might ask a CM who is off for the day but in the park, or someone like myself, if I'm not trying to get somewhere or I see someone flag me down, I'll gladly help and give a little magic. Not all magical moments have to come from CM's or Disney, it could simply be from asking someone to take your picture.
Agree, people should not be afraid to ask. I for one would never turn someone down asking me to take a picture of them. Could be a baseball game or WDW in this example. I know someday I'll need the favor returned.

G00fyDad

But that's the problem...people don't act. The inconsiderate ones thrive on this. They know that usually the worst that happens is they get a dirty look, or people mumble under their breath about how rude the behavior is, then go online after their trip complaining about what happened.

It's become an unspoken rule that many of the flash-photographers, line-jumpers, etc. take full advantage of: "You'd better not break the rules at Disney...or some guest may give you a dirty look." *oh the horror* ;)

You've apparently never seen me in the parks. :D I will go out of my way to call as much attention to the inconsiderate people as possible. A "dirty look" just doesn't cut it with me.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I love the video I got at WDW with my gopro on a stick. Why shouldn't I be able to use it? Because it might hit someone? Well, then you can't use a stroller anymore either. BTW, I used it for a week and didn't hit one person. I didn't do it to "look cool". I did it to have videos that I can watch forever to look back on a great trip. What a horrible crime.

We also always get memory maker, so no, we're not using it for selfies. We use the photopass photographers.
So you're the exception. Oh, did you hold your stick up during fireworks and/or parades in front of other people? I hope not, because that would be extremely rude.

GetAPaperBag

So you're the exception. Oh, did you hold your stick up during fireworks and/or parades in front of other people? I hope not, because that would be extremely rude.

Actually the one thing I like about the gopro over other cameras for filming fireworks and such is that it doesn't have an LCD screen on the back. It's just a small black box. I did do my best to make sure it wasn't in people's way still though. Normally I'd standing where no one was behind me, like with my back to a garden.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Actually the one thing I like about the gopro over other cameras for filming fireworks and such is that it doesn't have an LCD screen on the back. It's just a small black box. I did do my best to make sure it wasn't in people's way still though. Normally I'd standing where no one was behind me, like with my back to a garden.
Then I applaud that you think of others. Unfortunately, most people don't, and they are going to ruin it for you in the end.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom