Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

The Empress Lilly

We dubbed them "Selfish Sticks" on our most recent trip based on the way most of the users handle them with no concern for others. We even saw a group use them at breakfast to get a picture with Mickey, can't ask the CM to take a picture let's extend a big stick over the table and get lots of attention for how cool we are.
While my instincts hate these sticks, I do wonder: isn't it considerate to take a picture yourself, if you can, rather than disturb somebody else?

The Empress Lilly

The one on the TTA is a problem. They've extended the camera outside the confines of the ride vehicle. There are no gray areas when it comes to doing that. Just because they're "still at the station" doesn't make it safe.

People are going to push the limits and continue to use them in inappropriate and unsafe manners, and that's what needs to be prevented before it's too late.
Don't worry, the problem will resolve itself eventually. Guys who keep playing with their selfie stick eventually grow blind.

WestC0T

Plenty of selfie sticks everywhere, they're not that bad until someone has the stick practically in your face trying to get "the best angle".

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I really don't mind their use for group photos and didn't find the stupid people using them to be any more obnoxious than your average Disney-generate.
I give you your first "like" for using the term Disney-generate!

mousehockey37

This thread has paparazzi style photos of strangers at WDW using "selfie sticks"? Like, that was an actual thing that occurred, people photographed other people they don't know using these things to take pictures. And I thought I had no life.

There comes a time when you need to see the proof that it's actually happening. We say we see it, but to actually have the evidence... it goes a long way. At least it's not that entourage from the other thread ;)

NowInc

Trust me, I didn't have to search hard at all to find people using selfie sticks. The only reason I photographed them at all was because people here saying that few use them. It didn't take any extra time out of my day to turn a few inches to my left or right and snap a shot of them in use, as I typically am always snapping pics of all parts of the parks as my hobby (which my posting history will attest to)

UncleMike101

As was stated earlier, it's not the sticks, or the camera phones, it's the narcissists using them.
People who have the uncontrollable urge to be important in their own little minds are a danger to others and need to be punished when their selfish acts cause injury.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
These selfie sticks were all over the place on our early March trip. We were walking accross the Bridge from the UK to France, and a foreign couple (you can just tell) was taking a selfie with the Effiel Tower in the back ground. He had the stick at arms length shoulder high. Just as I was passing he decided to turn but not lower the stick. If I hadn't ducked quick he would have hit me in the side of the head! Luckily I was looking straight ahead when this happened rather than glancing at my park map or turning to talk to my wife or son. He knew what he did, and didn't say a word! It's amazing the sea of these things that you see when watching fireworks or parades. Hope they somehow create restrictions for these but don't know how that would be possible unless they ban them all together..
What you should have done is to swing your arms around wildly and accidentally knocked it into the water. You were worried for your personal safety, you know. :cautious:

Last edited:

Communicore

I just got back from WDW....Yes...those damn sticks are everywhere.
And CM's hate them because morons use them on the rides and then lose them on the rides.
Some CM's to whom I spoke said Disney is trying to come up with a way to ban them.
They should dump them all on Bay Lake, so they can breed with the amoebas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom