Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

G00fyDad

A) I'm not yelling, that takes the constant use of capital letters, I was "accentuating".
B) So is banning selfie sticks. As far as I know, no-one has died of a selfie-sitck injury.
C) Like I said, my problem is with dumb people, not inanimate objects.

A) Yes. Overuse of Exclamation marks is the same thing as yelling.
B) No one has hit me with a selfie stick yet. ;) And your analogy is pretty far fetched.
C) So is mine. But if the dumb people cannot be banned then ban the "weapon".

I promise you that if one person gets smacked with one of these things after they have warned a CM to talk to the guest and they sue Disney we will see the end of these ridiculous narcissistic things.

The chances are the same as the use (or misuse) of other tools, objects and devices, tablets, phones and yes, even selfie sticks can be a great tool for considerate people. Once again, the problem is not the s-s it's the way dumb people use them. No I don't own one or have ever used one, I stand on principle.

As hard as you're fighting this.... I don't buy that.

ABQ

Just need a bunch of these to place on the ground in front of all the selfie stick users.
tumblr_l96os4ceo61qcqlp3.jpg

tumblr_l96ori9Pmw1qcqlp3.jpg

GetAPaperBag

KLinder7

If you keep the thing eye level to yourself I don't really have a problem. It's when you have it so high up that is blocking everyone behind you. I could not believe how many people were walking around with them this past week. The best was there was a group of three people. Two of them were talking a "selfie" when the 3rd person in the party could have just taken a picture of them...Side topic also hate how people walk in front of your picture. I understand sometimes your in a daze and don't realize what's around you but c'mon. There are certain areas of the park where more photos are taken or where photopass cast members around. Be on the look out not to ruin others photos.

Dubman

These selfie sticks were all over the place on our early March trip. We were walking accross the Bridge from the UK to France, and a foreign couple (you can just tell) was taking a selfie with the Effiel Tower in the back ground. He had the stick at arms length shoulder high. Just as I was passing he decided to turn but not lower the stick. If I hadn't ducked quick he would have hit me in the side of the head! Luckily I was looking straight ahead when this happened rather than glancing at my park map or turning to talk to my wife or son. He knew what he did, and didn't say a word! It's amazing the sea of these things that you see when watching fireworks or parades. Hope they somehow create restrictions for these but don't know how that would be possible unless they ban them all together..

Last edited:

G00fyDad

This affects you or your life how?

Did I say it affected my life? Where did I say that? It's stupid behavior plain and simple. If I cut in front of you at the park and tell you to get out of my way, am I affecting your life? I haven't touched you. You will still get to ride the ride. Am I affecting your life? No. I am being rude and inconsiderate with that behavior. Now... what can we apply here to the selfie-stick situation? Think really hard.

G00fyDad

These selfie sticks were all over the place on our early March trip. We were walking accross the Bridge from the UK to France, and a foreign couple (you can just tell) was taking a selfie with the Effiel Tower in the back ground. He had the stick at arms length shoulder high. Just as I was passing he decided to turn but not lower the stick. If I hadn't ducked quick he would have hit me in the side of the head! Luckily I was looking straight ahead when this happened rather than glancing at my park map or turning to talk to my wife or son. He knew what he did, and didn't say a word! It's amazing the sea of these things that you see when watching fireworks or parades. Hope they somehow create restrictions for these but don't know how that would be possible unless they ban them all together..

My promise to you all... let someone idiot narcissistic person hit me with one of these things and you'll read about me and what I do. I'll probably take the thing and smash the phone on the ground then snap the pole. If someone is so stupid to swing the thing around in a crowded park so they can take the perfect duckface, then they should be prepared to lose their property. If someone wants to be so self-absorbed that they cannot bare the thought of NOT getting a photo of themselves "hasing a cheezberger" or "Oh my God. Look at this milkshake" then fine, be stupid. But keep it down and don't swing the weapon around oblivious to others around you or you may get your butt handed to you.

Dubman

My promise to you all... let someone idiot narcissistic person hit me with one of these things and you'll read about me and what I do. I'll probably take the thing and smash the phone on the ground then snap the pole. If someone is so stupid to swing the thing around in a crowded park so they can take the perfect duckface, then they should be prepared to lose their property. If someone wants to be so self-absorbed that they cannot bare the thought of NOT getting a photo of themselves "hasing a cheezberger" or "Oh my God. Look at this milkshake" then fine, be stupid. But keep it down and don't swing the weapon around oblivious to others around you or you may get your butt handed to you.

We could start a whole new thread about "An Altercation at the Flower & Garden Fest!", and Disney can cash in by selling Selfie Sabers! lol

A) Yes. Overuse of Exclamation marks is the same thing as yelling.
B) No one has hit me with a selfie stick yet. ;) And your analogy is pretty far fetched.
C) So is mine. But if the dumb people cannot be banned then ban the "weapon".

I promise you that if one person gets smacked with one of these things after they have warned a CM to talk to the guest and they sue Disney we will see the end of these ridiculous narcissistic things.

As hard as you're fighting this.... I don't buy that.

A) Excuse me then, not my intention.
B) Word of the day: hyperbole. Google it.
C) Then ban phones, tablets, walking canes, etc, etc, etc,...

I support personal responsibility. Believe what you like.

G00fyDad

A) Excuse me then, not my intention.
B) Word of the day: hyperbole. Google it.
C) Then ban phones, tablets, walking canes, etc, etc, etc,...

I support personal responsibility. Believe what you like.

A) Fine. This is a period --> .
B) Hyperbole? Now you're just grasping after getting called out on such a HUGE stretch. Banning cars is nowhere near the same as banning a selfie stick.
C) Walking canes are necessary, selfie sticks are not. Phones cannot be swung around as a weapon and allowed to strike someone in the head. Still stretching.

I will.

A) Fine. This is a period --> .
B) Hyperbole? Now you're just grasping after getting called out on such a HUGE stretch. Banning cars is nowhere near the same as banning a selfie stick.
C) Walking canes are necessary, selfie sticks are not. Phones cannot be swung around as a weapon and allowed to strike someone in the head. Still stretching.

I will.
B) Exactly the definition of hyperbole, making exagerated statements not to be taken litterally.
C) Canes can and have been used to hurt people. Phones and tablets are used as a different kind of nuisance, never said they would be used as a weapon.

G00fyDad

B) Exactly the definition of hyperbole, making exagerated statements not to be taken litterally.
C) Canes can and have been used to hurt people. Phones and tablets are used as a different kind of nuisance, never said they would be used as a weapon.

B) Don't use hyperbole to make a point in a serious discussion about the merit of selfie sticks in this situation. Kind of makes your entire point useless.
C) Again, canes are a requirement, not a luxury. We are talking about injuries caused by these useless pos items. Yes, the sticks are also an annoyance, but that is not something Disney will EVER care about.

Jim Buck

Our nickname for these things is "narci-sticks" It's right up there with people using big tablets/ipads to take photos in crowds on the annoyance (and dumb looking) scale.

We dubbed them "Selfish Sticks" on our most recent trip based on the way most of the users handle them with no concern for others. We even saw a group use them at breakfast to get a picture with Mickey, can't ask the CM to take a picture let's extend a big stick over the table and get lots of attention for how cool we are.

KLinder7

Its so not a problem!

The following pictures were all taken this past saturday, 90% of which within minutes of each other, and I have dozens more where these came from. I didn't have to look hard..or at all. They all kind of just pop up right in front of you...all the time::

fZRJu9i.jpg

qhPyL16.jpg

sxkLLeO.jpg

ZGb6AIB.jpg

YPH89Yy.jpg

7UAvFFY.jpg

AgQX8p2.jpg

1vZ8Vg2.jpg

z7wkxee.jpg

3K1o4b4.jpg
I can vouch as I was there too Saturday and they were all over. During Wishes was the worst. Don't block my view and I'm okay if we aren't talking on a ride. But anything that extends out of a ride boat/train/whatever should be a big no no.

B) Don't use hyperbole to make a point in a serious discussion about the merit of selfie sticks in this situation. Kind of makes your entire point useless.
C) Again, canes are a requirement, not a luxury. We are talking about injuries caused by these useless pos items. Yes, the sticks are also an annoyance, but that is not something Disney will EVER care about.
OK, it's clear my points are getting lost on a discussion about the use of a rhetorical device. So let me explain in a simpler way.
Selfie sticks and any other object is in and of itself, innocent and harmless. It is the users of these devices that create the problems, some people will be obnoxious regardless of their use of props. I tend to (try to) ignore them whenever I can and if I can't then (silently) laugh at them. Yes there are times when this is impossible and I get upset, but I don't proyect my anger at an object, I know it's the person who upsets me.
Yes canes are a need for some, but to someone with a severe case of social anxiety, a selfie stick may just be the best solution on a solo trip. There can be little doubt that a cane used in anger or by carelessness will result in a bigger injury than those flimsy selfie sticks.

Me? I ask someone (carrying a big DSLR) to take our couple pics.

Blame the person, not the objetct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom