Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Cesar R M

It was an inconsiderate nimrod with a go pro on a stick that reached out over my dinner table at the Rose and Crown to film Illuminations. 4 of us at the table had to use all our self control to not yank the stick and toss it in the World Showcase Lagoon. This person had no right to do this but didn't appear to care at all as in their mind the camera was up above and not in our line of sight. be that as it may, it annoyed the heck out of us, we let the staff know after the fact as we did not wish to make a scene during the fireworks, but really, on what basis could this behavior every be considered acceptable.
Wow!, talk about controlling yourself and having a lot of patience!

G00fyDad

It was an inconsiderate nimrod with a go pro on a stick that reached out over my dinner table at the Rose and Crown to film Illuminations. 4 of us at the table had to use all our self control to not yank the stick and toss it in the World Showcase Lagoon. This person had no right to do this but didn't appear to care at all as in their mind the camera was up above and not in our line of sight. be that as it may, it annoyed the heck out of us, we let the staff know after the fact as we did not wish to make a scene during the fireworks, but really, on what basis could this behavior every be considered acceptable.

In all seriousness, I would have told him once to move the stick. If he refused I would have taken it from him. We all need to stop tolerating this type of behavior because these people know that nothing is going to be said or done to them. That's why you cannot ride PotC without going into a seizure from the flashes.

Arthur Wellesley

We all need to stop tolerating this type of behavior because these people know that nothing is going to be said or done to them.
^This. This needs to be heard time & time again.

I'm not saying to go and start a fist fight with one of the offenders, but for every "high road" we take, the inconsiderate get reinforcement in knowing they can do whatever they want to whoever they want.

If we try to put a stop to this selfish behavior, then maybe Disney will follow our example & eventually do the same.

mousehockey37

^This. This needs to be heard time & time again.

I'm not saying to go and start a fist fight with one of the offenders, but for every "high road" we take, the inconsiderate get reinforcement in knowing they can do whatever they want to whomever they want.

If we try to put a stop to this selfish behavior, then maybe Disney will follow our example & eventually do the same.

That's the problem. Alerting CM's in the vicinity isn't going to help. They can't really do anything. Aside from taking pictures of what's going on and showing the people at Guest Relations, there's no "enforcement" out there.

G00fyDad

Saw a bunch of them in December. I just don't get it.
49.gif
57.gif

That must mean that you are not self obsessed. To be honest, I don't think everybody in the world cares if a girl can make a duck face or the sideways peace sign with a pouty face. No one really cares. But, if the urge takes them in that direction I would prefer they just use their hand and hold the camera up to snap the stupid selfie. Carrying a stick designed to help you take a picture of yourself is pretty vain.

mousehockey37

That must mean that you are not self obsessed. To be honest, I don't think everybody in the world cares if a girl can make a duck face or the sideways peace sign with a pouty face. No one really cares. But, if the urge takes them in that direction I would prefer they just use their hand and hold the camera up to snap the stupid selfie. Carrying a stick designed to help you take a picture of yourself is pretty vain.

But it's not cool now if you don't have the selfie stick to take your sunburned, oversized sunglasses, purse the size of Rhode Island, duck faced, sideways peace sign, standing in the middle of moving people traffic selfie. LOL.

I have a feeling it's gonna take a few sticks and devices ending up in the WS Lagoon for some people to get the hint.

Dwarful

I couldn't believe the number of people we saw with GoPro's strapped to their heads AND selfie sticks in hand. We were there Feb. 25 - March 2nd and they really were obnoxious. People just stopped dead in their tracks oblivious to everyone around them....jamming up the flow of foot traffic.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

If I'm going to spend any money on any kind of camera device it's going to be a tripod so I don't have to look thru a small screen the entire time, that's what we have youtube for

Sudcaro- Sudcaro

I read yesterday that many museums in DC (other cities too) had banished selfie sticks. Made me think of this thread.
The situations sure are different, but with a little explanation, it could be done in WDW, at least partly (at least in restaurants, rides, shows... that would be a start).

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
If they ban "selfie sticks", why not ban monopods or tripods too? They could both be used in similar ways if you really wanted.
I've never seen someone with a monopod holding it above their head or out away from them to take a selfie. I also have never seen anyone but a CM use a tripod, though I have to admit, I've never looked for them, either. The problem with the selfie sticks seems to be that it is mostly a younger crowd using them that have no idea what basic respect for other people is. Since Disney cannot weed out only those that don't care about anyone else, they will end up banning them the first time they are sued when someone gets hit with one. It WILL happen. As a matter of fact, if someone hits me or my family with one, I will absolutely sue Disney, but not for money. I will sue for a ban on them from the parks.

GetAPaperBag

I've never seen someone with a monopod holding it above their head or out away from them to take a selfie. I also have never seen anyone but a CM use a tripod, though I have to admit, I've never looked for them, either. The problem with the selfie sticks seems to be that it is mostly a younger crowd using them that have no idea what basic respect for other people is. Since Disney cannot weed out only those that don't care about anyone else, they will end up banning them the first time they are sued when someone gets hit with one. It WILL happen. As a matter of fact, if someone hits me or my family with one, I will absolutely sue Disney, but not for money. I will sue for a ban on them from the parks.

Would you sue Disney when someone hits you with a stroller? What about some of those swords or other things they sell at the park? All of those things could injure someone when in the hands of someone without the basic respect for other people.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Would you sue Disney when someone hits you with a stroller? What about some of those swords or other things they sell at the park? All of those things could injure someone when in the hands of someone without the basic respect for other people.
Well let's see. I get hit with strollers pretty much every trip. Do I sue? No, because it hits my ankle, the people apologize, and life goes on. I have never been hit with one of the plastic swords, so it probably would not do much damage. The selfie sticks are usually made of metal, and since they are being held up, will contact my head area if they hit me with it, possibly causing a serious injury. A totally different circumstance. And again, I reiterate that most (not all) of the people using them are self-indulged young people who couldn't care less about your personal space, or even hitting you in the head. I mean, why are they taking a selfie anyway???? You really are grasping now, aren't you?

GetAPaperBag

Well let's see. I get hit with strollers pretty much every trip. Do I sue? No, because it hits my ankle, the people apologize, and life goes on. I have never been hit with one of the plastic swords, so it probably would not do much damage. The selfie sticks are usually made of metal, and since they are being held up, will contact my head area if they hit me with it, possibly causing a serious injury. A totally different circumstance. And again, I reiterate that most (not all) of the people using them are self-indulged young people who couldn't care less about your personal space, or even hitting you in the head. I mean, why are they taking a selfie anyway???? You really are grasping now, aren't you?

You've been hit by strollers on just about every trip and done nothing. I'm curious the number of times you've ACTUALLY been hit by a selfie stick.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You've been hit by strollers on just about every trip and done nothing. I'm curious the number of times you've ACTUALLY been hit by a selfie stick.
OK, as I said. People are reporting selfie sticks all over the place at WDW, and it is only going to take ONE person to get even accidentally hit in the head with one of these to cause issues, especially if it draws blood. If you haven't read through all of these, one person stated that the idiots at the next table at the Rose & Crown held the selfie stick OVER THEIR TABLE to get a shot. Are you seriously OK with that?

NormC

Maybe if people are such a big problem for you all, a place as crowded and diverse as WDW isn't for you. Just stay in your little bubble where no one can bother you.
People are not a problem for me. I love the crowds and smiling faces on the children. Rudeness is a problem though. Do not make assumptions.

GetAPaperBag

OK, as I said. People are reporting selfie sticks all over the place at WDW, and it is only going to take ONE person to get even accidentally hit in the head with one of these to cause issues, especially if it draws blood. If you haven't read through all of these, one person stated that the idiots at the next table at the Rose & Crown held the selfie stick OVER THEIR TABLE to get a shot. Are you seriously OK with that?

No, it's not okay with me but neither is some oblivious parent running their stroller into my leg, but it happens. I be the bigger person and move on.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
No, it's not okay with me but neither is some oblivious parent running their stroller into my leg, but it happens. I be the bigger person and move on.
And you know, as long as no one holds one of the stupid things in front of me during a parade, show, fireworks, etc. I don't personally care. But from all of the comments here, it will happen, and I will say something. My personal opinion is that since so many places (such as the Smithsonian) have already banned them, Disney really should do it before it gets out of hand. Again, just my opinion. Oh, and as far as strollers go. Yes, I would LOVE to see them banned as well. It's getting so bad that you can hardly move around in certain areas anymore. We didn't see this twenty years or even 15 years ago, so I wonder what has changed? I don't know the answer, but I do think it's weird that going to the parks in the 90's and early 2000's, we hardly ever saw a stroller. It was the exception. Now, they are everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom