Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

Lucky

That pic in that article is hysterical, the one from DCA.

B9ft2NlCQAEK_js.jpg:large

GrammieBee

Just a theory, but people who need to constantly take pictures of themselves must have a really poor self image, or are very self absorbed, if they need to see a boatload of pictures of themselves to prove that they exist and are doing something exciting like making a face or eating a french fry while standing in line.

FigmentsFangirl

The only thing I'd use a selfie stick for is to whack the guy with a selfie stick sitting three rows behind me at The Sing Along or any such show, Here is me, about to get a picture, and the guy three rows behind me has his selfie stick extended all the way it can go, and I can pretty much grab his camera or move it out of my own field of view, its like I'm too tall for him or something that he has to snake this thing over my left shoulder from THREE ROWS behind me.

My personal thought on the selfie sticks is; if you want to get a better shot, GET CLOSER without the stupid stick! If you want to see the show from closer, try to get in line a little sooner!

My thought; make them not allowed, they're an annoyance.

Dont get me started on the "smoking where one isn't allowed to smoke and leaving the lit scigarette in a tashcan" problem, I've caught people smoking outside of Hall of Presidents, Test Track and fairy tale hall. All of these locations are NON SMOKING< and what do they do ? toss their lit smoke into the TRASH and not an ashtray. I've seen three people so far actually get told by security where the smoking locations were

Jahona

I had posted that video in another thread.. but I had no idea why it didnt load fully in the forum.
Yours loaded fine.
I call conspiracy!

Your profile picture says it all.

Just a theory, but people who need to constantly take pictures of themselves must have a really poor self image, or are very self absorbed, if they need to see a boatload of pictures of themselves to prove that they exist and are doing something exciting like making a face or eating a french fry while standing in line.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/12/selfies-narcissism-psychopathy_n_6429358.html

This is mainly directed towards men who take selfies but there is some cross over. Women who take a lot of selfies and are heavy social media users tend to be more narcissistic as well.

Communicore

It would be hilarious if someone used as selfie stick to take pics during F&W, then ends up hitting someone with a seflie stick doing the same, and they engage in a swordfight with the sticks.

Bartattack

Dont get me started on the "smoking where one isn't allowed to smoke and leaving the lit scigarette in a tashcan" problem, I've caught people smoking outside of Hall of Presidents, Test Track and fairy tale hall. All of these locations are NON SMOKING< and what do they do ? toss their lit smoke into the TRASH and not an ashtray. I've seen three people so far actually get told by security where the smoking locations were

You would go crazy in Disneyland Paris. Everybody is smoking all over the place! Everytime I've been to Disneyworld and then visited DLP afterwards, I always forget about the smokers in the Paris park. They even smoke in the queues. I think they have designated smoking areas, but almost nobody uses them.

note2001

You would go crazy in Disneyland Paris. Everybody is smoking all over the place! Everytime I've been to Disneyworld and then visited DLP afterwards, I always forget about the smokers in the Paris park. They even smoke in the queues. I think they have designated smoking areas, but almost nobody uses them.

Oh no! I didn't know this. We do tend to forget the rules at other parks will be different than the ones we're accustomed to going to. Crossing DLP off my bucket list until smoking is banned :cry:. Selfie sticks might pose a risk, but smoking is an outright danger.

disney4life2008

I am at the 24 hour party - everyone under the age of 21 looks to have one (teens and up). I have seen quite some sights - referring to all the adults dressed as characters (some look great...)

GetAPaperBag

Guess that goes for anyone using photos photographers too.

note2001

I don't think it's a self image thing. I think it's more about the teenagers not utilizing other ways to communicate than to send images to each other. Each time period in history has its own way in which the young generation stays in touch: biking/walking to each others houses, driving over, phone, AOL IM, cell phones, texting via cell phone, FB, and now the thing is an app that requires an image to be sent along with a quick blurb - I'm obviously not into it as I don't even know the name of the app, but my kids are. My daughter is constantly taking selfies and my son takes pictures of random objects. I can guarantee it will get old by the end of the year. Selfie sticks too will become a thing of the past as people just won't want to carry a stick with them in addition to their phone.

KordovaJD

I am at the 24 hour party - everyone under the age of 21 looks to have one (teens and up). I have seen quite some sights - referring to all the adults dressed as characters (some look great...)

Off topic, but wanted to throw out a quick congratulations on finishing your PhD. Big times! Now you get to look back on the last 25-35 years and say, man, school sucked...

disney4life2008

Off topic, but wanted to throw out a quick congratulations on finishing your PhD. Big times! Now you get to look back on the last 25-35 years and say, man, school sucked...

LOL Thanks so much. Yes - it is finally over and school really did suck. All throughout graduate school - I worried about the dissertation and defense - and once it was over, it was over (no problems at all). I had a great dinner at Ohana Tuesday evening - my service team did an amazing job and gave me a graduation cupcake :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom