Selfie sticks - is this a thing at WDW yet? Disney clarifies policy

GetAPaperBag

Wait. Someone is trying to compare strollers and ECVs to selfie sticks?

ECVs - as annoying as they may be - are medical devices. Legally covered by ADA. Gotta put up with them.

Strollers - as annoying as they may be - are the primary mode of transportation for the under five set. They're not going anywhere.

Two of these three things are modes of transportation while a selfie stick is not. This is beyond comparing apples and oranges. It's more like comparing an apple and pair of 1976 roller skates - simply inconceivable.

And it was a joke. Lighten up. Everyone's too busy hating. I'm about done with WDWmagic forums. Nothing but negativity on here. WDW is supposed to be a happy place.

Cesar R M

Wait. Someone is trying to compare strollers and ECVs to selfie sticks?

ECVs - as annoying as they may be - are medical devices. Legally covered by ADA. Gotta put up with them.

Strollers - as annoying as they may be - are the primary mode of transportation for the under five set. They're not going anywhere.

Two of these three things are modes of transportation while a selfie stick is not. This is beyond comparing apples and oranges. It's more like comparing an apple and pair of 1976 roller skates - simply inconceivable.
I just wish they could ban the OVERSIZED MAMBA JAMBA XXXL DELUXE type Strollers.
You're supposed to carry your son.. not to put him into a tank to ram everyone with it!

as for selfie sticks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=131&v=1fmQs37YqXg

Last edited:

Cesar R M

I am sorry, but I just don't get the whole selfie stick thing. In year's past. if I wanted a family group picture I would just kindly ask someone to take the picture with our phone or camera for us. In today's day and age of selfies and "let me get this posted on social media ASAP", we are becoming less social and more disconnected from each other. Next time we need a group photo, perhaps we could socially engage another human being and ask them to take the photo for us? What a concept!!!
We're getting less connected in direct way. but more connected in the digital way.
Before, you had 20-30 friends from university.etc.. now you can have like 500 people online who you game with, share pictures, adventures..etc..

Who here has been hit by a selfie stick?

From here, I only counted 2 If I remember correctly.
But there is a reason they're banning them.
They already caused trouble. So there is no contest of "why".
I almost got hit once in my last trip at AK. But luckily.. I have quick reflexes.

biggreen19

We're getting less connected in direct way. but more connected in the digital way.
Before, you had 20-30 friends from university.etc.. now you can have like 500 people online who you game with, share pictures, adventures..etc..
I get what your saying, so if someone clicks and "likes" what I post, or comments on one of my pictures, that's makes them a new friend that I am socially interacting with? I call them at best a virtual acquaintance floating in vaporware. Now gaming on the other hand, I agree with you 100%!

Cesar R M

if someone clicks and "likes" what I post, or comments on one of my pictures, that's makes them a new friend that I am socially interacting with?
if thats your definition of friendship.. we're pretty much screwed.

And no.. friendship is not a counter of facebook or number of likes/reblogs on twitter.
I mean real lasting friendship.

biggreen19

if thats your definition of friendship.. we're pretty much screwed.
Sorry for the ms-understanding Cesar, that is not my definition of friendship at all, quite the opposite. Sadly though, I think many people do, and value their self-worth by the number of "likes" that they get on their latest face book post. Me? my participation in "social media" is message boards and on-line gaming. That's enough for me, my digital footprint is large enough as it is.......

note2001

Breaking news Disney World bans selfie sticks on rides!
And here's the proof: http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/travel/feat-disney-world-selfie-stick-ban/
Thank God!

The media tends to be two steps behind us when Disney doesn't have info specifically for press releases. Good chance their heads-up on this came from forums/threads like this one, but they needed to confirm first. It's all over the 'news' sites on the web today as they all steal news stories from each other.

My personal opinion is that this topic isn't news worthy at all. o_O

Communicore

The media tends to be two steps behind us when Disney doesn't have info specifically for press releases. Good chance their heads-up on this came from forums/threads like this one, but they needed to confirm first. It's all over the 'news' sites on the web today as they all steal news stories from each other.

My personal opinion is that this topic isn't news worthy at all. o_O
That pic in that article is hysterical, the one from DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom