Sea World Sued over Renewal of Season Passes

Nick Wilde

I saw on the local news that it said that if you pay for it in 12 months or more, it will auto renew, and he paid for it in 11 months, yet it still auto renewed. That's why he's suing, not because he didn't read the fine print.

kelknight84

Original Poster
"But Herman points out in the lawsuit that customers such as him actually do pay for the annual passes in less than a full year. Herman, for example, made his first payment on March 18, 2013, and his twelfth one on Feb. 18, 2014."

That sounds like he paid 12 months to me. Since March - February is one year...

Nick Wilde

"But Herman points out in the lawsuit that customers such as him actually do pay for the annual passes in less than a full year. Herman, for example, made his first payment on March 18, 2013, and his twelfth one on Feb. 18, 2014."

That sounds like he paid 12 months to me. Since March - February is one year...
Feb.-Feb. is one year. Not March-Feb. When did less than a year become a year?

The Mom

Premium Member
People have a problem with renewal dates versus anniversary/expiration dates. You are paying in advance for something you will receive later. Rather than paying after receiving the service/product.

If something has to be processed, the auto renewal must be done before the actual anniversary (or in this case, expiration) date. Especially when money has to "clear."

Granted, things can be done more quickly now, but some businesses still insist upon the leeway.

cheezbat

This guy deserves nothing. If its such a big deal refund him his money for his 'renewal'...

Nobody deserves $5 million over this. Just another jerk looking for a handout. He wants anything extra? I say give him a swift kick in his junk. Maybe that will set him straight.

xstech25

This guy deserves nothing. If its such a big deal refund him his money for his 'renewal'...
Sea World has a policy where they only give back a certain amount of months (3 if I remember right) if the person didn't notice that these payments were still coming out of their bank, and if they did not use the pass at all after it expired obviously.

If you don't read the small print (and lets be honest, who does?) and don't check your bank statements, you can really get screwed. In order for that to happen though you have to be really negligent regarding your finances. But the flipside is that if you bought with EZ Pay and kept it you have a fixed rate, so the AP is inflation-resistant. I know some people that have done that with Sea World and Universal and pay a very low rate for their APs compared to the price now.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I deal with auto-renew products. Generally when people complain, if we can, we don't fight it. Just refund the last payment and move on. Then again, our auto-renews are less than $30 a month...and most people don't complain or shut them off (or, frankly, use the product, but they sign up for it and pay for it every month...go figure)...

That's...a bit different when you are paying for a single product (annual pass) on a payment plan.

This is a silly lawsuit.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Guy has zero chance... summary judgement here we come! A great example of why our legal system should include punitive damages for frivolous lawsuits. People should be slapped like Robin for even filing this kind of stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom