Sea World has posted Reponse to Blackfish

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's right, SEA's employees are paid to skew polls and to agressively try to control and sabotage online discussion about Blackfish:

This is the type of misapplication of facts that leads to the documentary itself.

Just because people behind a corporate proxy/FW took part in a poll (a poll open to EVERYONE) - doesn't mean they didn't do so on their own accord.

It's more a slam on the paper's inability to conduct a scientific poll.. but maybe it's the same incompetence that leads them to create articles pointing the finger else where.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is the type of misapplication of facts that leads to the documentary itself.

Just because people behind a corporate proxy/FW took part in a poll (a poll open to EVERYONE) - doesn't mean they didn't do so on their own accord.

It's more a slam on the paper's inability to conduct a scientific poll.. but maybe it's the same incompetence that leads them to create articles pointing the finger else where.
And it should go without saying...a poll with a rip roaring 328 participants is about as scientifically valid as the flat earth theory.

maxairmike

images

Holly Byrd, standing on the back of a killer whale like it’s a surfboard and teaching kids at a theme park that it’s okay to control and dominate animals for your own amusement really isn’t a “career” to be proud of.

At least Ms. Berg had the good sense to get out, change course, and create a professional life for herself.

My wish for Holly is that she would travel to the Pacific Northwest--stand on a boat or on the shore--and watch a pod of wild orcas swim together in a body of water that extends to the horizon. Fresh air. New perspectives.

In 2014, it’s about respect. Not exploitation.

Just curious (and I already know the answer: none of them), but which point of the debate/discussion were you attempting to address with this post?

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

So again I ask, if sentiment against SeaWorld truly does shift, who then pays for sea pens and continued care?
Blackmail is never a good reason to perpetuate abuse.

Besides, we have heard so much how passionate SEA feels about conserving killer whales, that I'm sure they will pay. Surely, they will put their money where their whale lover mouth is?

The Empress Lilly

A very balanced and needed article that sheds some light on a major inconsistency in "facts" that both the anti-caps and SeaWorld like to use. Well worth the read.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...40125_1_killer-whales-individual-whales-orcas
Cool read.

Naturally, it is much more palatable that individual 'activists' (not all of them do, and not all who do are activists) misunderstand or misrepresent scientific findings, than the billion dollar corporation whose very business it is to correctly understand and present these findings.

It is sloppy for the food critic to be unaware that mussles kill when served off, but completely unacceptable for the restaurant serving them. (In fact, that restaurant would be closed. Unlike SEA, which has killed man and animal for misunderstanding and misrepresenting the facts but can do so with apparant impunity)

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

I applaud Jason Garcia for writing an AMAZING non-biased and very balanced article. I read it and almost shouted "finally."
A fine read, yes. Did we however read the same article that confirms that Blackfish exposed SEA's claims as unscientific nonsense?

"Blackfish" shows a SeaWorld employee telling park visitors that killer whales are "documented in the wild living to be about 35, mid-30s. They tend to live a lot longer in this environment because they have all the veterinary care." Another employee is also shown saying SeaWorld's whales have longer life spans. However, there is no research suggesting that captive killer whales live longer than wild ones.​

The Empress Lilly

But it isn't a scientific poll. That is a misapplication of facts. :p

It is a newspaper poll intended to give its readers the change to interact with the paper and one another. They want to know what they think. Hence the pityful lameness of 200 votes lodged from the single Sea World ip adress.

Tomorrow, I'm going to conduct a poll at my work about whether we want to visit Sea World or Islands of Adventure. All fifty of us will vote. Oh, and 200 Sea World employees. :banghead:
And it should go without saying...a poll with a rip roaring 328 participants is about as scientifically valid as the flat earth theory.
As above

The Empress Lilly

A note on the Miami Seaquarium.

The Miami Seaquarium is on leased public land. For the past 20 years they have been trying to drastically expand and improve Lolita's habitat.

Why has this not happened? If they change the infrastructure of any of the facilities at the Miami Seaquarium it opens their lease up to renegotiation, which Animal Rights groups have said they will use to shut the facility down.

So the Miami Seaquarium has been put in a position of leave Lolita as is, or run the risk of loosing their entire business.

EVERYONE wants her habitat improved and enlarged... even the owners of the Miami Seaquarium.

But thank Peta, and other radical animal rights groups for her continued confined space.
I'm sorry, but that's just pathetic.

If you want to exploit an animal, exploit it. But spare the world the insulting nonsense of 'but your honour, her skirt was too short so it is all really her fault'.

[Edit: just to be sure, 'you' and pathetic' is Miami Sea, not you QFT]

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

Haven't we had this argument/discussion on a board that has been locked down. I see no need to continue it here.
The funny thing is, without the Blackfish thread, this Sea World board wad a virtual ghost town. But don't worry too much. You guys exhibited a calculated expertise in getting the last thread closed. I'm sure you can do a repeat performance here.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The funny thing is, without the Blackfish thread, this Sea World board wad a virtual ghost town. But don't worry too much. You guys exhibited a calculated expertise in getting the last thread closed. I'm sure you can do a repeat performance here.
Actually from my memory both sides played a part in getting the thread closed. In fact it was something I really had nothing to do with if you want more detail. Both sides were childish and underserving to have either of their sides heard. I just came about to bring tidings of warning so that another childish squabble doesn't break down again.

Voxel

But it isn't a scientific poll. That is a misapplication of facts. :p

It is a newspaper poll intended to give its readers the change to interact with the paper and one another. They want to know what they think. Hence the pityful lameness of 200 votes lodged from the single Sea World ip adress.

Tomorrow, I'm going to conduct a poll at my work about whether we want to visit Sea World or Islands of Adventure. All fifty of us will vote. Oh, and 200 Sea World employees. :banghead:
As above
This is nothing new on the IP thing. Pixar studios and Disney Studios IP caught caught torrenting large quantity of movies released by their competitors. (and strangely enough some of their own movies). The Vatican is one of the largest IPs in the torrenting of . You get a lot of that tampering. But to be honest If Sea World was really going to rig the vote I would have expected more then 200 votes from a single IP.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
This is nothing new on the IP thing. Pixar studios and Disney Studios IP caught caught torrenting large quantity of movies released by their competitors. (and strangely enough some of their own movies). The Vatican is one of the largest IPs in the torrenting of . You get a lot of that tampering. But to be honest If Sea World was really going to rig the vote I would have expected more then 200 votes from a single IP.
What? Why

Voxel

What? Why
Good question, but we noticed a starting a few years ago their is an strange level of torrenting coming from the vatican. The majority of the torrenting from the IP is but other films include Love Actually and Snitch

lazyboy97o

Blackmail is never a good reason to perpetuate abuse.

Besides, we have heard so much how passionate SEA feels about conserving killer whales, that I'm sure they will pay. Surely, they will put their money where their whale lover mouth is?
Where does blackmail enter into this? I'm talking could, not would.

You and others have made it a point to vilify SeaWorld as a whole. You even mentioned early how more people had seen Blackfish than visited the SeaWorld parks and hailed it as a sign of a fundamental cultural shift. That sort of change is not something a company turns around on a whim. It is why when discussing Walt Disney World we are unimpressed with raw numbers, because the challenge will be down the road when Disney is trying to win back customers. The same is true of SeaWorld who no longer has a parent corporation that could keep the parks afloat at a loss. And who extends credit to the new social pariah?

The current strategy of aiming to inflict financial harm on a SeaWorld therefore opens up the very real potential of the parks closing because there is simply no more money. This chance is even more likely with smaller parks. What happens if SeaWorld does go broke? Hoping for a continued supply of blood money seems to be the wrong strategy.

919Florida

It is amazing how 2 - 3 people just want to do nothing but ruffle feathers and cause fights. No ones mind is changing here we have our Pro SeaWorld people and we have our anti cap activist and we have a few with no opinion. But nothing is changing peoples minds. That was proven with the last thread that was a mess and now its starting again. This thread started out civil and friendly and then 3 days later it was hijacked and we are back into a mess again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom