Sea World attendance drops 13%

71jason

Original Poster
Part of it late Easter ... but certainly not all of it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ance-sinks-13-percent-20140403,0,5223770.post

I know knee-jerk reaction is to say Blackfish, but I don't think we can rule out the price increases, or the fact their last two E-tickets were failures and the one before that was probably the most polarizing ride in Orlando. What's worse, I suspect Diagon Alley is going to do a bigger number on SW than any WDW park.

lazyboy97o

I think it is important to note that the article states that the decline was across all of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment parks, so this is an aggregate of the SeaWorld parks, Busch Gardens parks, Sesame Place and water parks. Concerns regarding the health of the chain as a whole are not new and predate Blackfish.

HRHPrincessAriel

The last few times we went to Sea World San Antonio it's been d.e.a.d. One of those times last was 4th of July weekend.
Literally was able to walk onto rides.

maxairmike

I think it is important to note that the article states that the decline was across all of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment parks, so this is an aggregate of the SeaWorld parks, Busch Gardens parks, Sesame Place and water parks. Concerns regarding the health of the chain as a whole are not new and predate Blackfish.

The last few times we went to Sea World San Antonio it's been d.e.a.d. One of those times last was 4th of July weekend.
Literally was able to walk onto rides.

Yep, the chain as a whole has always had somewhat questionable health, and San Antonio has always been an underperforming property from what I've heard and read. San Diego, BGW, and the Florida parks are the strong performers, and even BGW has evidently been having some declines lately.

The Empress Lilly

The decline is across every park, this negates shifting the blame to the two largely failed Potterswatters in Orlando, the snorefests Turtle and Penguin.

Sea World declined by double digits compared to previous years, a trend too strong to point to a larger trend of recent years.

I think it is all owing far more than SEA would ever admit to the six ton orca in the room, Blackfish. Twenty million people visited SEA's parks, eighty million saw SEA being destroyed by Blackfished. It is a game changing event.

I was looking at prices for UNI and SEA for my upcoming trip. There is no way to see UNI cheaply. Whereas SEA has incredible price slashes for just about any type of visit. $50 for one day, $99 for two days at Bush and SEA, $92 for an annual pass until the end of the year. Between Potter and Blackfish and large majority of SEA's revenues being generated in Florida, SEA is caught in a perfect storm.

HRHPrincessAriel

The decline is across every park, this negates shifting the blame to the two largely failed Potterswatters in Orlando, the snorefests Turtle and Penguin.

Sea World declined by double digits compared to previous years, a trend too strong to point to a larger trend of recent years.

I think it is all owing far more than SEA would ever admit to the six ton orca in the room, Blackfish. Twenty million people visited SEA's parks, eighty million saw SEA being destroyed by Blackfished. It is a game changing event.

I was looking at prices for UNI and SEA for my upcoming trip. There is no way to see UNI cheaply. Whereas SEA has incredible price slashes for just about any type of visit. $50 for one day, $99 for two days at Bush and SEA, $92 for an annual pass until the end of the year. Between Potter and Blackfish and large majority of SEA's revenues being generated in Florida, SEA is caught in a perfect storm.
The past three years in Texas you get a free Year pass if you are a teacher. This year they also has free preschooler passes(3-5). We wouldn't go if it wasn't "free".

BigTxEars

I hope the San Anotonio park survives, it's a beautiful realizing place. I have always loved it. And the fact that they treat the military so well is a huge plus for me. I also love the Steel Eel :)

lazyboy97o

Except that these discounts are not new and assumes that people are widely aware of who owns what parks.

DaveN1996

I too enjoy the SA park, with my only complaint being it seems like something is missing as spread out as the whole park is (though that also helps with the crowds).

BigTxEars

I have not watched nor will I watch that Blackfish crap. I had dead cow for lunch today, had dead chicken yesterday. I wonder how many folks who cried at Blackfish had the some for of dead animal for lunch that day. Hypocritical is an understatement.

Without places like Seaworld showing Orca whales for what they are we would still be thinking they were this:

211uqfn.jpg

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Now that Gabriela Cowperthwaite has successfully knee capped Sea World financially, we should start delivering all the injured Manatees, Sea Turtles and oil coated marine animals to her front door for her to rehabilitate for free.
Her goal is to shut down Sea World, well, let her pick up the slack.
That is an excellent idea. Hope she has a oversized tub.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
That is an excellent idea. Hope she has a oversized tub.

This thread is leaving the FACTS out thus far. I did not read the article but if it is Garcia's I know he put the correct info in. Easter being later has shifted the SB crowd to a later time in the year as well as reduced operating days in Q1. Once those are factored in the true decline is below 5%.

lazyboy97o

This thread is leaving the FACTS out thus far. I did not read the article but if it is Garcia's I know he put the correct info in. Easter being later has shifted the SB crowd to a later time in the year as well as reduced operating days in Q1. Once those are factored in the true decline is below 5%.
It should also be noted that Easter has been cited in the past by both Disney and Universal as a reason for shifts in attendance patterns.

rob0519

Part of it late Easter ... but certainly not all of it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...ance-sinks-13-percent-20140403,0,5223770.post

I know knee-jerk reaction is to say Blackfish, but I don't think we can rule out the price increases, or the fact their last two E-tickets were failures and the one before that was probably the most polarizing ride in Orlando. What's worse, I suspect Diagon Alley is going to do a bigger number on SW than any WDW park.

My family actually likes Sea World. It used to be an ok place to go. The rides are ok, it is more an aquarium than a theme park anyway. The shows used to be fun and entertaining. Then a few years ago they changed all the shows to that fake Cirque de Soliel stuff. God, it was so boring. If there is one reason I try not to go back to Sea World it's that change. I can deal with the rest of it.

Animaniac93-98

I think the main reasons are high cost of admission and lack of quality new attractions. SeaWorld simply can't compete with the multi-day resort offerings of UNI and Disney, or their pricing strategy of "the more you stay, the less you spend per day". Even with Discovery Cove and the water park, SeaWorld is still likely seen as a one-day attraction. With rising vacation costs and guests not having the spending money like they used to, it's probably viewed as a non-essential Orlando experience.

danpam1024

Yep, the chain as a whole has always had somewhat questionable health, and San Antonio has always been an underperforming property from what I've heard and read. San Diego, BGW, and the Florida parks are the strong performers, and even BGW has evidently been having some declines lately.
we were at BG on Saturday and walked on to EVERYTHING! Falcon's Fury looks interesting- but it is SO TALL. I used to bungee jump and I do NOT plan on riding that thing (probably more to do with the fact I'm not a teenager anymore :p ) It's very sad- I love SW parks. Although I do not agree with breeding and captivity of the orcas, most of what has been learned about them has come from SW. There is a lot of good that comes from the parks- unfortunately funded by some bad :'(

The Mom

Premium Member
Could some of the decrease in attendance across the board in ALL parks be due to the weather? Especially Busch Gardens Williamsburg?
Or it could be as mentioned - the economy. There are still families who haven't recovered financially, and those who have recovered might be saving more for another rainy day - the way the Great Depression generation did. So people consider their destinations more carefully than in the past, and also limit how many "excursions" they add on to their core trip.

919Florida

Could some of the decrease in attendance across the board in ALL parks be due to the weather? Especially Busch Gardens Williamsburg?
Or it could be as mentioned - the economy. There are still families who haven't recovered financially, and those who have recovered might be saving more for another rainy day - the way the Great Depression generation did. So people consider their destinations more carefully than in the past, and also limit how many "excursions" they add on to their core trip.

Excellent points. This article here points to horrible earnings from corporations in the 1st quarter. Due to unusually colder weather and bad storms. People may want to blame blackfish but between weather, storms, Easter being shifted and reduced operating days I am sure this gets us to the reason of the 13% downtrend. Its also worth pointing out it has not caused SeaWorld to reduce their earnings and revenue forecast for year 2014. They are keeping it the same. Which is a good sign.

Here is the article mentioning a horrible 1st quarter for all corporations.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/06/investing/stock-market-lookahead/index.html?iid=HP_LN

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom