SDMT OPENING DATE (RUMOR)

spacemt354

Chili's
Expedition Everest opened on April 7, 2006. We were down for the Presidents Day week (February 18-25, 2006) and were able to ride during soft openings. Which means that soft openings for Everest were a little over a month before actual opening day.

I don't know if Disney runs by a definite timeline regarding this stuff, but if media day is scheduled for April 30th, I don't think it's impossible to see soft openings by the end of March.

Tom

Beta Return
Does Disney let anyone ride during soft launches or only a select few?

Once CM Previews are over, they will typically soft open to guests who just happen to be in the area. It won't run all day, and could close back down at any moment while they work out kinks, adjust settings, change shifts and perform additional training.

doctornick

Once CM Previews are over, they will typically soft open to guests who just happen to be in the area. It won't run all day, and could close back down at any moment while they work out kinks, adjust settings, change shifts and perform additional training.
Question about soft openings: if people are in line, will they shut down the line (e.g. not let anyone new in line) and let everyone in line ride first or might they shut down the ride suddenly and basically say "you are out of luck" to people in line? Certainly if there is some mechanical concern, I could understand the latter occurring, I'm just wondering how it typically is for soft openings.

Tom

Beta Return
Question about soft openings: if people are in line, will they shut down the line (e.g. not let anyone new in line) and let everyone in line ride first or might they shut down the ride suddenly and basically say "you are out of luck" to people in line? Certainly if there is some mechanical concern, I could understand the latter occurring, I'm just wondering how it typically is for soft openings.

I've never been there for the soft opening of anything, but I've read many reports. From what I understand, for the most part it's "tough luck" if it shuts down while you're in line. If it's been running well for a while, and many guests have come through, they may issue some sort of return voucher, but there's no guarantee.

The intent of the soft opening is to run it as much as possible, under normal operating conditions, to work out all the kinks and timing, and to give the cast an opportunity to learn how to run everything on their own. If they detect an issue, or the ride malfunctions, they'll just close it back down and send the engineers and contractors in to work on things.

KatMaria

Soft openings pure luck of the draw and they will close down at any time. You literally just have to be in the right area at the right time. Cast will not tell you if they will have previews that day so don't expect to get anything out of anyone lol

BigTxEars

Sweet, we go starting May 31st so it will be nice new and busy :)

We caught the soft opening of Transformers last year at Uni, no announcement they just popped open the doors one day and let folks in.

DWLove

I know what I will be doing the last day of my trip! So happy we booked when we did, we were going to do a week earlier but now we are April 27-May 2 so looks like we may be getting lucky

Armando Diaz

Hi everybody, this is the first time I post on this forum, I'm 34 YO and i'm a very big Disney fan since I was a little kid, now I take my 2 kids (5 and 7 YO) to WDW every year. For those who are hoping for a soft opening of SDMR I want to tell you my story. I remember back in 1999 when me and my brother went to DHS on June 27 on a very crowded Sunday of summer, we were passing by Rock and Roller Coaster entrance at about 11:00 AM and a CM told us that the ride was open, we were very lucky, we were one of the first people to rode RRC , some attendants told us the ride soft opened on Saturday June 26 at evening, the ride officially opened on July 29, so the soft open occurs one month before the official opening, so if the official opening for SDMR is May 2, i think they will be a soft open on about April 2. I will be in MK on April 13 and 14 with my family, i really hope we will be as lucky as 15 years ago :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Hi everybody, this is the first time I post on this forum, I'm 34 YO and i'm a very big Disney fan since I was a little kid, now I take my 2 kids (5 and 7 YO) to WDW every year. For those who are hoping for a soft opening of SDMR I want to tell you my story. I remember back in 1999 when me and my brother went to DHS on June 27 on a very crowded Sunday of summer, we were passing by Rock and Roller Coaster entrance at about 11:00 AM and a CM told us that the ride was open, we were very lucky, we were one of the first people to rode RRC , some attendants told us the ride soft opened on Saturday June 26 at evening, the ride officially opened on July 29, so the soft open occurs one month before the official opening, so if the official opening for SDMR is May 2, i think they will be a soft open on about April 2. I will be in MK on April 13 and 14 with my family, i really hope we will be as lucky as 15 years ago :)

First off welcome to the forums!

And I agree we had a similar experience with expedition Everest in 2006. It seems like from past experience at least a month before official opening is when the on-off soft openings begin.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

If people are at load there is still no guarantee they will ride if under a soft.

Thumper14

Will Magic Kingdom be insane on April 30th? I will be there April 27-May 1 and had planned to spend Wed, April 30 in MK after our Train tour @ 7:30 am. I am not sure how the Media day plans will impact the crowds.
Good news I should be able to catch a at least one ride on SDMT!

Making our 33 Anniversary Magical!  

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom