Screamscape - Monorail Expansion Rumor

s8film40

I think the numbers are fluffed and not accurate. The monorail certainly does not transport every person into these parks. The ferryies on SSL hold twice as many passengers each as the monorail and they are also filled to capacity during the mornings and evenings and most of the guests staying in WDW resort hotels (approx 70,000 guests at any given time) are taking bus transportation. Not forgetting about the resorts on the line which hold about 8500 people (which is a average of 3 people per room @ 100%occupancy) which is minimal in the total scheme.

360 people (monorail capacity) X 20 hours of operation per day X 6 loads of passanger per hour X 12 trains X 365 days per year = 190 million which would be absolute maximum with all 12 trains operating all the time and full cars all the time. I can safely say that many times we have completely empty cars when I am riding and any time that we are on it when the monorails are full, they are not truely at full capacity since they are packed with strollers. Also you never see 12 trains operating and they rarely operate 20 hour days, so I skewed the numbers very high.

What is really puzzling is how 60% of people are moved around WDW are moved by monorail when it serves less then 20% of the resort. The monorail does not even move 60% of the people in an out of MK.

Here are some more accurate numbers:
4bvZw.jpg

Gregoryp73

Here are some more accurate numbers:
4bvZw.jpg

Thanks for that! As Flynnibus pointed out, some of the info out there is "junk"...including a couple of the figures I was able to find. So good find!!

Even though this looks to be a forecast from 1999, it's looking like they were forecasting 58% of the traffic coming from buses, and 40% coming from monorail.

Monorail....157K daily is 57million rides
Buses...215K is 78 million rides

Again monorails probably get alot of double counts from transfers at the TTC, but that's still a whole lot of people.

The Economy has been lower or flat for disney since 2009 so I would assume today's numbers are probably pretty close to those (assuming they are accurate with their forecasts.)

It would be neat to see what the 2011 figures are.

unless.....this is a study from the communist monorail group trying to take over mass transit :lookaroun

s8film40

Thanks for that! As Flynnibus pointed out, some of the info out there is "junk"...including a couple of the figures I was able to find. So good find!!

Even though this looks to be a forecast from 1999, it's looking like they were forecasting 58% of the traffic coming from buses, and 40% coming from monorail.

Again monorails probably get alot of double counts from transfers at the TTC, but that's still a whole lot of people.

The Economy has been lower or flat for disney since 2009 so I would assume today's numbers are probably pretty close to those (assuming they are accurate with their forecasts.)

unless.....this is a study from the communist monorail group trying to take over mass transit :lookaroun

This is from the 2008 RCID comprehensive plan. I looked in the new one and they didn't seem to have the same chart. As you said though I would imagine it isn't that different, there would be practically no change to monorails and watercraft. I would imagine there would have been an increase in buses with new hotels added.

This really illustrates my point though. The fact that almost all of 40% of WDW's people moving capacity is wasted on a park & ride operation is a shame. If that could be refocused on park to park transportation exclusively it could reduce the strain on buses and make for a better overall transportation experience.

Captain Neo

But isn't the bus ridership numbers so high only because the only way to get to most of the resort is car/bus?

Gregoryp73

But isn't the bus ridership numbers so high only because the only way to get to most of the resort is car/bus?

I think it's a valid arguement...

We'd have to see potential riders compared to actual riders. To me 40% of traffic being monorail traffic is a high proportion because of limited access points...yet there are quite a few people that park and ride rather than stay in the hotels.

I'm sure disney does daily reporting on all of this stuff.

emaginear

Possibly would be able to pull from movie studios budgets for advertising dollars to help offset the cost. I highly doubt you would see a NICK or UNI ad on a WDW monorail.

Plus if built "green" they would qualify for possible tax incentives and own any patents WDI comes up with along the way.

Just a little out-loud thinking here...

Now that WDW has tried the Tronorail and Avengerail, is there a chance they might be considering accepting advertising dollars as a way to offset the cost of expanding and maintaining the monorail system?

orky8

If you build it ... I will ride.

And isn't that really the point. As '74 remenisced, monorails are just cool. They are iconic WDW and at the top of the Disney resorts website. Are they cost effective? Are they going to solve all of WDW's transportation issues? Are they going to eliminate busses? NO!

But building a lake in front of the Magic Kingdom surrounded by a monorail was never "cost effective" unless you understand that building a magical place that people want to come back to and spend their money is, in fact what makes WDW a cash cow in the first place. So, it actually is cost effective.

As a matter of principle, the four parks should be linked by monorail. It wasn't cost effective to link Epcot by monorail, but it was iconic and what Disney used to stand for.

Putting aside the magical reasons to build it, many here have also pointed out its not just rainbows and gumdrops, but also semi-practical. If the monorail goes to the Epcot resorts, you can charge more for those resorts, and reduce bus service there (which is already rather awful). If you update the monorail technology, you can eliminate the drivers and increase efficiency. If the monorail goes to all four resorts, WDW would be justified in increasing the costs of park hoppers, and park hoppers would be worth the incresed cost.

GrumpyFan

Crazy idea, and maybe it's been mentioned, but the thought occurred to me, they need to look at it from a few different angles (justifications).

1) Adding a property wide transit system would add value to the resorts, making it easier for guests to get around, relieve congestion on the roads, reduce wear and tear on roads, etc. It would also make staying on-property even more appealing.

2) Depending on where they expanded to, they could get part of a return on the investment by adding usage fees that either the riders would pay directly per ride, or the hotels would pay (riders indirectly). There are four distinct areas on property, where they could add a transportation service like the monorail (or some type of mass transit), and they could charge a fee for usage:
  • Bonnet Creek - 4 hotels, 3000+ rooms
  • Downtown Disney - 7 hotels, 3600+ rooms
  • Four Seasons - 1 hotel, 444 rooms (opening 2014)
  • Flamingo Crossing - unbuilt, several hotels, 2500+ rooms?

2a) Adding a transport option to the Flamingo Crossing area will also make this area more appealing and actually help kick-start interested hotels and restaurants. Of course, they could add fees at their other hotels too, but I would assume that guests staying in their hotels would get a free or at least a discounted pass.

3) The number of rooms in the direct vicinity including Disney Resorts, Downtown Disney, Bonnet Creek and Four Seasons will be more than 37,000 by the time Four Seasons is finished in 2014. It is assumed that even more rooms will be added by 2020. The number of guests visiting WDW grows an average of 2-3% each year, by 2020, the expected attendance will be more than 58 million!

4) Uncertain fuel prices make it difficult to plan and forecast operating costs.

nace888

I imagine that Disney could only pay HALF the price for a train, considering Disney has the molds for the cabs... So maybe Disney can build the cars, and have the chassis shipped to the site... Thoughts?

kittybubbles

They should start with (as a test) a zip line of some sort to move folks from DHS to EPCOT and one from AKL to AK....if those runs work out, let imagineering go crazy on a bunch of other lines...these would be attractions to enjoy while moving around the property and I imagine could be a rather inexpensive way to create another transportation mode to move people around the resort.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
They should start with (as a test) a zip line of some sort to move folks from DHS to EPCOT and one from AKL to AK....if those runs work out, let imagineering go crazy on a bunch of other lines...these would be attractions to enjoy while moving around the property and I imagine could be a rather inexpensive way to create another transportation mode to move people around the resort.

Lazy rivers. Disney already has a network of canals. They just need to extend them to theme parks and resorts.

Kamikaze

I imagine that Disney could only pay HALF the price for a train, considering Disney has the molds for the cabs... So maybe Disney can build the cars, and have the chassis shipped to the site... Thoughts?

Why would having a mold cut the cost of the train fully in half?

Spoiler: It wouldn't.

Polydweller

Where did you get info about Disney having the moulds? That doesn't seem right. Bombardier produce the exact same monorail trains for the original Las Vegas line. I think Bombardier would have and own the moulds.

Tom

Beta Return

Step 1: Sign 47-page waiver

Step 2: Climb an 800 foot pole to the platform

Step 3: Begin >1-mile zip ride

Step 4: Evacuate bowels

Step 5: Profit

nace888

Where did you get info about Disney having the moulds? That doesn't seem right. Bombardier produce the exact same monorail trains for the original Las Vegas line. I think Bombardier would have and own the moulds.

... I was talking about the shells, the bodies, not the chassis. If Disney didn't have the molds, they wouldn't have been able to make the new cabs for Peach. The trains in Vegas, are the Bombardier Innovias, and they look NOTHING like the Mark VI Monorails. The Innovias use the same style chassis as the Mark VIs, but Bombardier have modified them if I am correct.

Alas, I know that the price would not be cut DIRECTLY in half, I was going with an opinionated guesstimate... However, I imagine that the final price would still possibly be cut because Disney ALREADY owns the land the lines would go on...

Everyone is talking about where they want the expansion to go, but what about where there are already pylon footers... Weren't there already pylon footers placed that haven't been used yet? I dunno if it's a rumor but I heard there were some laid somewhere...

NoChesterHester

... I was talking about the shells, the bodies, not the chassis. If Disney didn't have the molds, they wouldn't have been able to make the new cabs for Peach. The trains in Vegas, are the Bombardier Innovias, and they look NOTHING like the Mark VI Monorails. The Innovias use the same style chassis as the Mark VIs, but Bombardier have modified them if I am correct.

Alas, I know that the price would not be cut DIRECTLY in half, I was going with an opinionated guesstimate... However, I imagine that the final price would still possibly be cut because Disney ALREADY owns the land the lines would go on...

Everyone is talking about where they want the expansion to go, but what about where there are already pylon footers... Weren't there already pylon footers placed that haven't been used yet? I dunno if it's a rumor but I heard there were some laid somewhere...

If there were footers installed it was a huge waste of money. No engineer is going to utilize abandoned foundations for a tolerance critical design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom