Score Card: Closed/Closing HS Attractions

Progress.City

Original Poster
I would say, based on all the announcements of attractions closing for HS, it's a sure bet that something HUGE has been greenlit for the park. I haven't been following this from the beginning, but can someone compile a list of all the confirmed attractions closing at HS? I have the studio tram tour, the big hat, American Idol, Legend of Jack Sparrow, and I'm not sure if others have been confirmed to close, but I know the rumors and did not list those because they haven't been confirmed.

Bottom line is something big is coming to HS. If there wasn't, TDO would not close so many attractions at once. The rumors point to it being SW. It could also be Cars and other Pixar properties, or a combination of these, but that's anybody's guess and that's not why I created this thread.

I just want to know if more attraction closures need to be announced before they announce what's coming? From past project announcements, what month of the year does the company finally let out of the bag what they are working on? When do you think the announcement will be? It has to be soon because the backlot tour itself closes a huge amount of park real estate!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
They'll probably keep the park running even after they only have ToT, RnRC, Muppets and Toy Story open.

rangerbob

They'll probably keep the park running even after they only have ToT, RnRC, Muppets and Toy Story open.

Is there anything else there other than a few shows? Indy (possibly closing), Beauty and the Beast, Disney Jr., the animation building, Fantasmic, one mans dreams (is this next?)

I guess this is their way of making the park a full day park. Come to MGM and wait in 3 hour lines for everything.

Gig 'Em Mickey

It makes sense to close the backlot tour if they're actually building something back there, but why the other stuff? Why not keep it operating until newer stuff gets built?

Chef Mickey

It makes sense to close the backlot tour if they're actually building something back there, but why the other stuff? Why not keep it operating until newer stuff gets built?
Same question I asked when the closed Snow White because the Mine Train was being built. If I had my way, they'd have kept both, but at least keep the dark ride until the week before Mine Train opens...

dreamfinder

Why not keep it operating until newer stuff gets built?

The almighty dollar. If they know that they need to close a certain attraction on Q2, they can close it early now, and generate the cost savings to help make MM+/NGE look better. Believe it or not, closing a somewhat iffy attraction early, might actually end up generating enough cost savings to keep something else open. Perhaps corporate came down and said "DHS, you need to find $100,000 in cost savings". Now say AIE cost 5k a day to run. Closing it 20 days before it's contract ran out allowed them to hit that $100,000 savings, and not have to close something else. Keeping it open might have meant they needed to cut 2 Jedi training shows a day, or something else. Obviously these numbers are total fluff, but the concept still applies. So while not as ideal as being able to keep everything running at once, the closures may have been sacrificial lambs to save the rest of the flock.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Is there anything else there other than a few shows? Indy (possibly closing), Beauty and the Beast, Disney Jr., the animation building, Fantasmic, one mans dreams (is this next?)

I guess this is their way of making the park a full day park. Come to MGM and wait in 3 hour lines for everything.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid.. I love that show :3 Pretty old though..

DisneyDaver

Same question I asked when the closed Snow White because the Mine Train was being built. If I had my way, they'd have kept both, but at least keep the dark ride until the week before Mine Train opens...

I still don't understand why Snow White's Scary Adventures closed. Why dismantle a nice C-ticket dark ride to make space for a meet and greet? They are many other places to put a meet and greet.

Chef Mickey

I still don't understand why Snow White's Scary Adventures closed. Why dismantle a nice C-ticket dark ride to make space for a meet and greet? They are many other places to put a meet and greet.
It was a terrible decision, bottom line. It just speaks to the mentality of management. Instead of doing what makes sense logically, I believe it came down to a logistical and/or financial decision...probably more the latter.

rct247

It all depends on what is being announced. If an attraction needs to close in order for new construction to begin, then more closing will occur. If an attraction is simply being cut for budget reasons, it is anyone's guess. Other if there is no need to close it, it is in the best interest not to close much more without straining the park. Given where the cuts have been the past few years, there are clear signs that the Echo Lake/ Star Tours area may receive some love and the Pixar Place/Backlot Tour area will receive some love. This is all just rehashing what we already know, but you can probably bet that other attractions/restaurants/shops that could very well turn up on a list of yesterdayland including:

-Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
-Gertie's Ice Cream of Extinction
-The Dig Site
-Backlot Express
-Light Motors Action
-Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Playset Adventure
-Studio Catering Company
-The Prop Shop
-Monsters Meet & Greet

Already Gone:
-Pixar Pals: Countdown to Fun Parade
-Disney Channel Rocks
-Sounds Dangerous / ABC Sound Studio
-American Idol Experience
-Studio Backlot Tour
-American Film Institute
-The Legend of Captain Jack Sparrow (announced)
-Sorcerer's Hat (announced)

wdwfan4ver

There is a couple things to keep an eye not already mentioned. Beauty and the Beast Live in Stage is on the rumored chopping block for another stage show taking its place. There also is the possibility of Voyage of the Mermaid going away for another show.

Progress.City

Original Poster
It sounds like the park will be getting a total redo, like they did with DCA. These closure all make sense, if this is the case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom