Scary Rides for a 5 year old

lnmjameson

We are going to Disney for the 1st time next Saturday. What I need to know is are their rides that I just should not take my 5 year old on. Her big sisters are already scarey her by what their friends have told them. I don't want her to miss out on anything.:veryconfu

Also, are there any attractions closed mid January?

wvjules72

My 6 yo liked Tower of Terror, Alien Encounter, Haunted Mansion, Snow White, and Peter Pan. I don't think she was afraid of anything. Of course, she was a little afraid on ToT, but it's one of the most memorable rides for her. She really liked it after the fact. We didn't ride any of the mountain, so I have no thoughts on those. The thing that seemed to scare her the most were the 3-D's (Bugs Life, Muppets and Honey I shrunk the Audience). She was too afraid to keep her glasses on. Weird, huh? :)

Upvote 0

Pan

Originally posted by wvjules72
My 6 yo liked Tower of Terror, Alien Encounter, Haunted Mansion, Snow White, and Peter Pan. I don't think she was afraid of anything. Of course, she was a little afraid on ToT, but it's one of the most memorable rides for her. She really liked it after the fact. We didn't ride any of the mountain, so I have no thoughts on those. The thing that seemed to scare her the most were the 3-D's (Bugs Life, Muppets and Honey I shrunk the Audience). She was too afraid to keep her glasses on. Weird, huh? :)
She is definately the exception to the rule. Parents should not even think of taking a kid under 10 into Alien Encounter. I can't see how most 5 or 6 year olds wouldn't have nightmares for weeks after experiencing this "attraction".

Upvote 0

wvjules72

Pan, before we entered the attraction, we made sure she knew that is wasn't real. She sat between her grandmother and I, and we both had our hands on her and during the intense moments, we laughed about it being fake to help ease any tension she might have had. I actually think she enjoyed it.

I agree with you that it might be too much for other kids her age and younger, but she's definately an exception.

Upvote 0

dopey

lots of good guidance so far. i'd add a couple suggestions:

talk to your kid about all the rides before you leave and let him (or her) tell you which ones he will absolutely not ride. i did that with my 7-year-old on our last trip. it was fun. we got online together and went over everything.

i did persuade him to go on a few things he had said he didn't want to go on. mind you, i didn't force him onto anything. but i had a good sense of what he would like if he just tried it once -- space mountain, rock 'n' rollercoaster, splash mountain. the only one he said he didn't want to go on ever again was tower of terror. then again, i said the same thing.

the only one i would never ever take a kid on is alien encounter. the attraction itself isn't scary, relatively speaking. but the build-up and anticipation that something really bad is about to happen can freak you out.

the one thing i don't think anybody has mentioned is the fireworks shows. lots of kids -- like mine -- don't like loud noises. if your kid is like that, find a spot that isn't in the thick of things so you can make a quick retreat if you have to.

have a great time!

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
The nature of the ride configuration , and amount of darkness also play a role. My son is bored by BTM, but loves Splash Mountain, and Jurassic Park over at IoA. However, he didn't like SM, because he was not sitting NEXT to me, and it was dark. As someone mentioned, being able to touch a family member during the scary parts makes a difference! My older child and husband have been on AE, and advised against taking my son on. He's also not a fan of inverted coasters yet(neither am I) and no one in the family really likes "big drop" rides. My daughter refuses to go back on Splash M or Jurassic Park (IoA), but loves RnR and Dueling Dragons(IoA) I would just wait until your child BEGS to go on a particular ride, and then be prepared for any bad consequences! Generally, there won't be any if you wait until the child makes his/her own decision!

Upvote 0

General Grizz

I find AE VERY lame. It didn't scare me one bit. A 6 year old...yeah...but I wasn't the least bit frightened. ToT...that's a different story...but AE for me wasn't scary at all.

I still visit it only to see that hilarious second preshow.

(RAHCCHSAHAAAA! - Skippy)

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I, too, am not a big AE fan. It's basic effect is turning the lights off...which seems cheep to me. The hot breath on my neck is kewl, but the attraction needs MUCH more..
Kyle

Upvote 0

lnmjameson

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your advice. We just retrurned yesterday & had the time of our life!!

My 5 year old rode everything except Space Mountain, AE, & Rocking Roller Coaster. The rollercoasters were because she did not meet the heigth requirement.

Would you believe that "It's a Bug's Life", & "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" scared her the most? She even had her hands in the air the entire time on Thunder Mountain.

Although we didn't subject her to a 2nd time on Tower of Terror, she was willing. But her Dad was scared to death & wanted her to stay with him while Grandma & I went again. What a blast!

Upvote 0

dopey

oh, yeah. whatever you do...DON'T TAKE A 5-YEAR-OLD TO "BUG'S LIFE" OR "HONEY, I SHRUNK THE AUDIENCE"! :)

some kids don't like the 3-d stuff.

that's cool that she wanted to do tower of terror a second time. glad to hear you had a great time. sounds like she'll be ready for those rollercoasters when she's 6!

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

Originally posted by lnmjameson
Thanks for all of your advice. We just retrurned yesterday & had the time of our life!!

My 5 year old rode everything except Space Mountain, AE, & Rocking Roller Coaster. The rollercoasters were because she did not meet the heigth requirement.

Would you believe that "It's a Bug's Life", & "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" scared her the most? She even had her hands in the air the entire time on Thunder Mountain.

Although we didn't subject her to a 2nd time on Tower of Terror, she was willing. But her Dad was scared to death & wanted her to stay with him while Grandma & I went again. What a blast!

I'm glad she enjoyed most th9ings it makes the whole holiday so much better when you know the kids are having a great time too:lol:

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

My youngest has always loved the 3 D experience ever since he first went a 2 years of age. I think part of the fun for him is the wearing of the glasses he is always very reluctant to give them back.:lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom