Scammers in the parks

the-reason14

On our most recent trip as well we were on line to meet Peter Pan and before a bunch of us had the chance to meet him a few teenage girls cut the line and Jumped in claiming they follow him on Instagram. So rude!

And I would have told those bi...*ahem* young ladies that they can follow him on instagram in the back of the line, I was here first.

I'm amazed but can't say shocked by hearing some of these stories. Some people just think they can do whatever they want as long as they are being taken cared of, and could careless about the people next to them. I've had a few run ins with the brazilian tour groups, but nothing too terrible. I probably would let all 10 or 15 of them cut in front of me, and then go back to my original spot in front of them making sure each one that bumped me got a bump right back. Normally when people use the "I'm meeting someone" approach while line cutting I always so, "oh somebody is a magician, they're making a few people appear."

habuma

The worst offenders are the S. Americans. Most of the line-cutters who suddenly don't speak English that many of you are referring to are speakers of Portuguese who I can tell you for a fact do understand and speak English perfectly fine. A few years ago we had a group try to line cut on us and pull the no speak English thing. I laid into them in their language and not only were they shocked (and said in almost disbelief "you speak Portuguese?!) but they stopped and left the line LOL!

After a few incidents like this, I thought it might be nice for someone to provide a few dozen Portuguese phrases that are useful in these circumstances at Disney. No need to master the language if all you need to say is "Please move to the back of the line".

G00fyDad

After a few incidents like this, I thought it might be nice for someone to provide a few dozen Portuguese phrases that are useful in these circumstances at Disney. No need to master the language if all you need to say is "Please move to the back of the line".

"Por favor, vão para o fundo da linha"

"Não acho tão idiota" works too. ;)

G00fyDad

Agree 100%. Though most of the teens/adults do it more because they have the attention span of a gnat... and the concept of standing in line and the patience that entails is beyond them.

I know a couple of families that both have teens that they take to Disney. All five teens (2 from one and 3 from the other) know each other. While I was at one of their homes for a cookout last summer we started talking Disney. One of the teens piped up and admitted that he and his sister cut lines all the time saying "Catching up with my family....Catching up with my family....Catching up with my family....Catching up with my family...." all the way through the line to the end. He said when they get there one of them will loudly say something like "Wow. I guess we missed them! They must have already gotten on. Oh well." and they just hop on the next vehicle. :banghead: I couldn't just lay into my friends kids but I can tell you this, the 5 kids were the only ones laughing. :mad:

ninjaprincesst

Looking for a reality check, so please don't blast me: If I've been waiting in line with my family and suddenly my little one is doing the potty dance, if I duck out with him while my husband and daughter stay in line, and then return to join them, this is wrong? Should my family have to come to the end of the line and do the hour long wait again because someone's bladder couldn't hold it for the entire first hour we were waiting? If that's the case, some people would never get to ride anything because their capacity for "holding it" is less than the average wait time.

Is this truly a faux pas under any and all circumstances, or is it a case of people taking advantage of other's good will ruining it for everyone?

I've definitely planned ahead during the potty training years by using pull-ups even once they were done with them in normal circumstances, but eventually that doesn't work any more. I've got a teacher's bladder - so I can literally "hold it" for 6+ hours, but those kids in the early elementary stage don't have that capacity. Especially when I'm pushing fluids in that Florida heat.

Cautionary tale about holding it, funny & true: we convinced my 60-something grandmother to go on Space Mountain with us (almost 30 years ago now). As we got to the tube with the lighted arches she was so freaked out and laughing so hard she literally wet her pants.

So I ask you, better to put up with the potty break line jumpers, or would you rather hazard sitting in my grandmother's vacated seat? ;-)
While it's understandable that it will sometimes happen, with some it's every single line. I have on several occasions seen the same people "take the kid to the bathroom" in every single line they are in. I'm of the opinion you know the line is long so before yu get in it with little ones make sure everyone has gone to the bathroom, and if it happens once ok use the "potty emergency speech" but when kid pulls it in the next line they either hold it or everyone gets out of line. I'ts line cutting.

jloucks

Looking for a reality check, so please don't blast me: If I've been waiting in line with my family and suddenly my little one is doing the potty dance, if I duck out with him while my husband and daughter stay in line, and then return to join them, this is wrong? Should my family have to come to the end of the line and do the hour long wait again because someone's bladder couldn't hold it for the entire first hour we were waiting? If that's the case, some people would never get to ride anything because their capacity for "holding it" is less than the average wait time.

Is this truly a faux pas under any and all circumstances, or is it a case of people taking advantage of other's good will ruining it for everyone?

I've definitely planned ahead during the potty training years by using pull-ups even once they were done with them in normal circumstances, but eventually that doesn't work any more. I've got a teacher's bladder - so I can literally "hold it" for 6+ hours, but those kids in the early elementary stage don't have that capacity. Especially when I'm pushing fluids in that Florida heat.

Cautionary tale about holding it, funny & true: we convinced my 60-something grandmother to go on Space Mountain with us (almost 30 years ago now). As we got to the tube with the lighted arches she was so freaked out and laughing so hard she literally wet her pants.

So I ask you, better to put up with the potty break line jumpers, or would you rather hazard sitting in my grandmother's vacated seat? ;-)

That's an easy one. Most everybody (except newest arrivals) will see you leave hauling a little one. ...then returning with same little one. I'd immediatly know what is up and could care less.

Just don't show back up with 3 little ones and some dude.

Last edited:

jloucks

While it's understandable that it will sometimes happen, with some it's every single line. I have on several occasions seen the same people "take the kid to the bathroom" in every single line they are in. I'm of the opinion you know the line is long so before yu get in it with little ones make sure everyone has gone to the bathroom, and if it happens once ok use the "potty emergency speech" but when kid pulls it in the next line they either hold it or everyone gets out of line. I'ts line cutting.

Yea, some kids get bored and use the potty break as something to do. You can't really call them on it because you can't really tell for sure.

I have kids and I did notice when they pulled me to the bathroom and peed 2 drops. Then we had the 'why are we here' discussion.

ScarletBegonias

I've only seen this twice in my last two trips.

1) In the FP line for POTC, the family in front of me scans their bands and it doesn't turn green. The CM says "This says you just used your FP for this." and held firm. The people acted all confused and tried again. Again the CM said "I'm sorry. You've already used your FP." and they eventually left the line without too much trouble

2) This one really bothered me. I don't know what it is with these parades, but these seem to be the biggest offenders. We were there in April and a CM was kind enough to squeeze my family into a corner where two ropes meet. He told us as long as we found a place for our stoller we could stay there. It was a GREAT spot. After spending nearly 50 minutes trying to keep my 22mo old happy, the parade is just about to start when a family of 4 or 5 come up and sit directly in front of us on the curb clearly NOT behind the ropes. I could tell by the looks on their faces they knew they weren't supposed to do it. As soon as a CM came over they all started signing to each other (they were deaf). I'm not knocking on anyone with a disability, but just because you are deaf it doesn't mean you are in any less danger being in front of the rope. It really irked me. So what did they do? Walked over to the other side of the street and did the EXACT same thing. I laughed when they started getting really angry when a CM immediately came over and told them they had to move. And wouldn't you know half of the group wasn't deaf!! It's sad that people pretend to not hear/understand English to break the rules.

mouse_luv

I'm a linguistics was one of my fields so, I knew Portuguese. Thanks @G00fyDad for providing phrases.;)

kelknight84

I also recently saw a family wait on line for a ride only to be told there child is not tall enough to ride. They threw a full on tantrum. I wish parents understand it is for the safety of them and their children!

I completely understand this, however, both my kids were always on the border and would often measure fine at the entrance but then when they got remeausred at the ride they wouldn't hit the mark and it's frustrating to wait all that time thinking you can ride and now you've wasted time, and your kids are disappointed. I'd understand if they didn't make it at the first check.

Curvelo

"Por favor, vão para o fundo da linha"

This looks like something you would get from Google Translator. Instead, try "O final da fila é lá atrás" ("The end of the line is back there") while you point to the direction they are coming. This sound reasonably polite in Portuguese. Also, if you want to sound harsh, I can give you other options.

G00fyDad

This looks like something you would get from Google Translator. Instead, try "O final da fila é lá atrás" ("The end of the line is back there") while you point to the direction they are coming. This sound reasonably polite in Portuguese. Also, if you want to sound harsh, I can give you other options.

It is. ;) I don't speak Portuguese.

Dylan Ann

a couple kids weaved their way to the front of the seven dwarves mine train ride. I waited two hours.

I guess I let them win. Next time i won't. everyone has to take a stand and just say NO! It's not our fault that they didn't get in line with their friends (if their friends even exist).

I remember going to NYC at Christmas time when I was about 7 or 8 - we went with my mom's friend and her kids, including my older cousin who would have been around 10. It must have been at Macy's or something, because I remember there being a long line, and following my cousin as we weaved through the people, making it seem like we were meeting people up front (I think our parents must have been waiting with the little kids, and let us go ahead). It was pretty darn cool to be a little bad and get away with it - and then someone stopped us, yelled at us, and sent us right back to the end of the line. And that was the last time I ever cut in line! I'm thankful for whoever called us out (it was likely an annoyed parent rather than an employee), because I definitely learned my lesson. It's a harder lesson to teach when it's the adults doing it!

Dylan Ann

I wouldn't mind this at all. I went to Disney the first time when I was 5, and I didn't have to go to the bathroom when we got on line for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. When we were almost there, I did. My mom figured I could hold it - she was not about to lose her place in line after the long wait. But I couldn't hold it - so it became A Puddle on the Floor while 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I can't remember everything from that trip, but I remember them bringing out a mop, lol! I think most people on the ride would have preferred the quick potty break!

Raineman

I heard a woman trying to scam her way in to the MK a few years ago. I was in line behind her trying to get my Annual Pass activated and she was arguing like crazy with the CM at the window of Guest Relations. She was trying to do something that was against the rules evidently and the CM was telling her she couldn't do it and she kept insisting how she had "been coming there for years and they ALWAYS had let her do it before" and the CM was just polite and kept insisting that they didn't. Finally the woman just gave up and left. I just got this awful vibe from her and it was obvious that she was trying to pull a fast one and the CM didn't fall for it. The people who peeve me the most at Disneyworld though are the people that get to the bus stop as soon as the bus is getting there and see the huge crowd that has been waiting all along and they just march right on to the bus and sit down before letting the people who had actually waited get on first. I ALWAYS look for the people who get to the bus stop before me and make sure that I don't board before them because in my mind that is skipping just as much as skipping in line for a ride.
I've seen people at MK in the line for the Pop bus after Wishes-with the line so long that it pretty much filled the switchbacks-open up the ropes with the clips at the end of the switchback and walk through most of the line. Of course, other people started following them, and I almost saw a brawl break out.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I've seen people at MK in the line for the Pop bus after Wishes-with the line so long that it pretty much filled the switchbacks-open up the ropes with the clips at the end of the switchback and walk through most of the line. Of course, other people started following them, and I almost saw a brawl break out.
Man those lines to the Value resorts always just look INSANE anyway! I could see people getting really ticked. Our last stay before joining the DVC was at a value resort and after getting a taste of the bus lines we finally went all in for DVC. I can say that it has honestly spoiled us though because we're so used to being able to just walk back to BLT and bypass the crowds so now even a SMALL wait gets on my nerves. LOL! I still try to honor bus etiquette though. It's just incredibly tacky not to. I don't know what in the world goes through people's minds.

G00fyDad

I always let the "I'm catching up with my party" people go. Because if I said something, that would be the ONE TIME there actually was a party up front :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter if there IS a party of people up front. If that group cannot seem to get their "stuff" together and stay with the group that is not my fault. They can catch up after the ride. This happens a lot as well. For the sake of an argument just say there are 4 people at MK traveling together. Group 1 (two of the people) go to a ride and the other, Group 2 (the other two people), go do something else. When group 2 is done they go to the ride and "catch up" with group 1. Nope. I don't think so! Too many people are manipulators. They want what they want when they want it and how they want it. It doesn't matter if you like it or if it inconveniences you. You can just shove it where the sun doesn't shine because, well, they want to do what they want to do and you better let them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom