Save the Adventurers Club

dstrawn9889

no the maelstrom comment was what i was referring to...
maselstrom-tee.jpg

MKCP 1985

Speaking of D23, a few posts back at least, the Colonel is currently making his way around the country in a video filmed to be shown at each Fanniversary event. I saw the one in Atlanta last weekend. The Colonel makes a short speech but is clearly skeptical that he is about to be auctioned off to the highest bidder and he gets his digs in at Disney management, saying in effect "They closed us down, and for what? So they could open four more Starbucks?"
Funny stuff. . . "I'm sticking it to the man." "Sir, you are the man." "Yes, yes I am."

YodaMan

Uh, didn't Disney donate $3 million to a children's hospital a few months ago?

I could be wrong but I don't think the point of the post had to do with charity. 71jason can correct me, but I assume the comparison is that people still love the Adventurer's Club enough even after all these years that those fans ended up spending $11k, and yet Disney is still cutting other fan-favorite acts right and left.

Last edited:

71jason

I could be wrong but I don't think the point of the post had to do with charity. 71jason can correct me, but I assume the comparison is that people still love the Adventurer's Club enough even after all these years that those fans ended up spending $11k, and yet Disney is still cutting other fan-favorite acts right and left.

Agreed. And Adventurers Club fans channeled that into something positive, rather than simply being snarky online.

prberk

Figured this would be a good place to plop this.

Seems like Disney is trolling their fans again. First there was my favorite "30th Anniversary of Horizons" t-shirts.

I just got an email from D23 (free membership, thank you very much) and saw these that are going to be available at Destination D:
https://d23.com/destination-d-merchandise-mickeys-of-glendale/

gallery-5.jpg

and the kicker:

gallery-8.jpg

I don't know if you noticed this little tidbit also, from the complete description of the event:

Pleasure Island: Rewind presented by Twinings of London®
The weekend will end with an exciting evening event— Pleasure Island: Rewind presented by Twinings of London®. This celebration of the Downtown Disney nightlife district will include moments dedicated to The Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse, Mannequins, and 8 Trax. And of course, there will be a “New Year’s Eve” celebration to cap the night. This event will be the grand finale to our weekend, and will be held from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 23​

The event that this is all a part of (including the "Mickey's of Glendale" shop that will have the Adventurer's Club and PI shirts) is the "Destination D" event scheduled for this November 22-23 at the Contemporary. It actually is something I would love to attend. It is a whole D23 event focused on the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Disney attractions, as well as now-gone Disney attractions. If I could afford it I would love to be there. Tony Baxter will be giving multiple discussions, including "never-built" attractions and past WDW attractions. They are also recreating much from the World's Fair. Some of this will relate, of course, to the upcoming "Tomorrowland" movie, which took place at the World's Fair in part, but even that is cool.

Check out the details: https://d23.com/d23-events/d23-destination-d-attraction-rewind/

But I do wonder about this finale event featuring the Adventurer's Club and other PI stuff. It doesn't say whether it will be at the Contemporary or elsewhere, but I assume at the Contemporary with everything else. Wonder if they are bringing back any of the AC cast?

Next Big Thing

I don't want to start a rumor about AC coming back since we know the building has been gutted, but i'm very interested in why construction hasn't started for something new in either AC or BET yet. Pretty much all of former PI has something new being built in it's place right now, EXCEPT for AC and BET. Is there a specific reason for this or have they just not solidified a contract/found someone to take over the building yet?

danpam1024

I don't want to start a rumor about AC coming back since we know the building has been gutted, but i'm very interested in why construction hasn't started for something new in either AC or BET yet. Pretty much all of former PI has something new being built in it's place right now, EXCEPT for AC and BET. Is there a specific reason for this or have they just not solidified a contract/found someone to take over the building yet?
was wondering the same thing myself- god I miss that place :'(

Magenta Panther

I'll say it again: Adventurer's Club should be moved to AK. This idea should appeal to TDO enormously. They probably still have a lot of the props, they don't have to come up with a new idea, they don't have to pay to use an off-studio IP, and the AC would give AK a bit of personality and magic, which it is sorely lacking. And it'd be something fun for grownups to do without having to sit through an environmental polemic. Win-win!

asianway

I don't know if you noticed this little tidbit also, from the complete description of the event:

Pleasure Island: Rewind presented by Twinings of London®
The weekend will end with an exciting evening event— Pleasure Island: Rewind presented by Twinings of London®. This celebration of the Downtown Disney nightlife district will include moments dedicated to The Adventurers Club, Comedy Warehouse, Mannequins, and 8 Trax. And of course, there will be a “New Year’s Eve” celebration to cap the night. This event will be the grand finale to our weekend, and will be held from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 23​

The event that this is all a part of (including the "Mickey's of Glendale" shop that will have the Adventurer's Club and PI shirts) is the "Destination D" event scheduled for this November 22-23 at the Contemporary. It actually is something I would love to attend. It is a whole D23 event focused on the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Disney attractions, as well as now-gone Disney attractions. If I could afford it I would love to be there. Tony Baxter will be giving multiple discussions, including "never-built" attractions and past WDW attractions. They are also recreating much from the World's Fair. Some of this will relate, of course, to the upcoming "Tomorrowland" movie, which took place at the World's Fair in part, but even that is cool.

Check out the details: https://d23.com/d23-events/d23-destination-d-attraction-rewind/

But I do wonder about this finale event featuring the Adventurer's Club and other PI stuff. It doesn't say whether it will be at the Contemporary or elsewhere, but I assume at the Contemporary with everything else. Wonder if they are bringing back any of the AC cast?
BTW-this event hasn't sold out yet? Sounds like an epic I don't give a damn.

And I've heard nothing of actors being rounded up to reprise roles...

danpam1024

I'll say it again: Adventurer's Club should be moved to AK. This idea should appeal to TDO enormously. They probably still have a lot of the props, they don't have to come up with a new idea, they don't have to pay to use an off-studio IP, and the AC would give AK a bit of personality and magic, which it is sorely lacking. And it'd be something fun for grownups to do without having to sit through an environmental polemic. Win-win!
maybe somewhere at the AKL- DAK isn't opened late enough for it to be fun :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom