Saturday D23 Announcement - Marvel Land at DCA

GiveMeTheMusic

Good animated films are timeless, and there's a huge iconic landmark in the center of DL based on a film that's approaching 60 years old.

I get the dislike of the constant barrage of character branding, but I see the inclusion of Pixar in the parks as being only slightly different than the way Walt handled his popular characters of the day at DL back in 1955.

I should have been more clear - the newness and merch factors are what Chapek and team ostensibly look for when choosing park IPs. I don't care about them personally, as anyone who understands themed entertainment shouldn't. Those rules go out the window when John Lassetire comes a knockin'.

Looking forward to the announcement of Bing Bong's Merry Go Round and Green Army Men Parachute Drop for Pixar Pier. Nothing but the best, most immersive attractions for the Pixar fans!

Phroobar

I should have been more clear - the newness and merch factors are what Chapek and team ostensibly look for when choosing park IPs. I don't care about them personally, as anyone who understands themed entertainment shouldn't. Those rules go out the window when John Lassetire comes a knockin'.

I don't know how true that is. Tron is 35 years old, Avatar is 8 years old and Star Wars is 40! Star Wars has huge merch sales while Tron and Avatar both have almost nothing outside of geek collectors. There is a ton of merch on Pixar stuff too but mostly Cars & Toy Story. On the other hand there is very little merch for Harry Potter but a lot for Transformers. Mickey Mouse at 89 has huge merch sales and only now getting a dedicated ride.

GiveMeTheMusic

I don't know how true that is. Tron is 35 years old, Avatar is 8 years old and Star Wars is 40! Star Wars has huge merch sales while Tron and Avatar both have almost nothing outside of geek collectors. There is a ton of merch on Pixar stuff too but mostly Cars & Toy Story. On the other hand there is very little merch for Harry Potter but a lot for Transformers. Mickey Mouse at 89 has huge merch sales and only now getting a dedicated ride.

Avatar predates Chapek, as does TRON in SDL. You can rest assured if the Avatar project had come up just one year later, it would never have been built. It was chosen solely as a Potter Swatter before Disney acquired Lucasfilm. The dormancy of the franchise combined with Lucasfilm acquisition are why you won't see Pandoras rolled out worldwide like they claimed would happen in 2011.

Curious Constance

I don't have any info on actual attractions yet, this is conjecture.

But tell me how far off I am once we find out, because I'd be shocked to death if anything more substantial came out of it.

I suppose we can't expect much more from someone who had the time of his life riding the Flying Tires.

Is he also responsible for Luigi's Roadsters? Because after riding it, I had to ask myself why? It was BARELY better than the tires. It can't be that hard to come up with something that's fun.

Antaundra

I don't have any info on actual attractions yet, this is conjecture.

But tell me how far off I am once we find out, because I'd be shocked to death if anything more substantial came out of it.
I think you're right about the jelly fish being rethemed to green army men. But my guess is that the carousel will become Nemo. Personally I don't care what characters they slap on these attractions. I've been waiting for them the finish the renovation from stucco box stores to a Victorian Pier for the last 5 years. If Chapek requires slapping characters all over everything in order for him to sign off on remodeling the store interiors... I can live with character names on what I'm sure will be unchanged rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom