Saratoga Springs Advice?

BigRedDad

Sorry, but there is no way that you paid for 3 adult meals at Lone Star with beverages for under $34. No way.
Total bill was $55 + tip. That is the same as it would cost 1 adult to eat at SSR. Happy Hour had 2-4-1 drinks, 8oz steak was $7.99, children's meal was $5. At any Disney restaurant, the equivalent meal is $200+.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Total bill was $55 + tip. That is the same as it would cost 1 adult to eat at SSR. Happy Hour had 2-4-1 drinks, 8oz steak was $7.99, children's meal was $5. At any Disney restaurant, the equivalent meal is $200+.
We've eaten at Turf Club with 4 adults and adult beverages, and never spent anywhere near $200.00. Closer to $130.00 You can justify it any way you want, but try to be closer to the truth.

Another oddity. I just looked at the Lone Star menu for Orlando, and it doesn't list any steak for $7.99. Even the Chopped Steak is $10.99, and the lowest price chicken dish is $10.49. Sounds like Lone Star lost money on you, since I have never seen a good steak for $7.99.

BigRedDad

You've never been there during happy hour then. If you had drinks, the bill was definitely more than $130. Disney charges $5-6 for a beer. 24oz drafts at LoneStar were 2-4-1 at $4. Equivalent to Disney prices, that would be 4 beers @ $20 * 3 people = $60 more. There is your $190 plus 18% tip.

CaptainAmerica

I only think of the steaks at Lone Star, so was trying to compare apples to apples. Saying you can get a bowl of chili that isn't even available at Turf Club is disingenuous at best and a very bad comparison when you are talking only about price. If you were going to eat a cheap bowl of chili off-site, then you have no right to compare that to an excellent sit-down at SSR. If you want to compare that, then go over to Earl of Sandwich instead. You could also have eaten at Artist's Palette cheaper than Turf Club as well.

Now can you get a steak cheaper there? Well of course. It's a cheap steak house, but then you have to drive off-property to get there. Did you rent a car? Well, did you factor that cost into it? Gas? How much park time did you lose, or did you not care?

We stay on-site every time, so use Disney transportation and dining exclusively. We do that even when we drive there. I have lived in Orlando before, and don't feel the need to go off-site for any reason.
I was going to eat at the California Grill but all I wanted was a bowl of Froot Loops. I replaced a Cali Grill meal for only $1.73! Disney is so overpriced, those greedy bastards.

EOD K9

My $0.02 on SSR. The resort is excellent. My only minor complaint was that the room entries are through exterior corridors. We did not eat at the restaurants there. We chose to go offsite to save money. For comparison, dinner for 4 with drinks for 3 adults was about the price of one meal at the Turf Club. The shop is relatively small but I think that is due to DtD a 5-10 minute walk away. Pools are excellent. You are not too far from one and you can always hop the first bus and get dropped off right by it. Walking access to DtD is perfect if you like going there. All the staff were friendly and helpful.

We would definitely stay there again as long as we keep getting the DVC rentals for the price we do.
How much do you pay per point?

BigRedDad

How much do you pay per point?
I am not sure of the per point cost, but 7 nights at SSR for a 1BR the week following 4th of July (something like 07/09 - 07/16) was $1,050. For comparison, our Pop Century room was $1,028 for the same period last year. At the beginning of February, we got 1BR BWV for the same price. I do not know the specifics of maintenance fees per point or have done the Present Value math for purchasing a block of points. I am sure if I did the math, I would certainly be FAR ahead in the cash side by renting from another owner. We also stayed in a 2BR Presidential suite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $500 for 7 nights.

If there is a deal out there, I will definitely find it. My normal Disney travel agent always asks if I will keep the reservation I make through her. I tell her only if I don't find something much better. I usually do though.

CaptainAmerica

I am not sure of the per point cost, but 7 nights at SSR for a 1BR the week following 4th of July (something like 07/09 - 07/16) was $1,050. For comparison, our Pop Century room was $1,028 for the same period last year. At the beginning of February, we got 1BR BWV for the same price. I do not know the specifics of maintenance fees per point or have done the Present Value math for purchasing a block of points. I am sure if I did the math, I would certainly be FAR ahead in the cash side by renting from another owner. We also stayed in a 2BR Presidential suite at Wyndham Bonnet Creek for $500 for 7 nights.

If there is a deal out there, I will definitely find it. My normal Disney travel agent always asks if I will keep the reservation I make through her. I tell her only if I don't find something much better. I usually do though.
That's crazy cheap... like 75% off rack rates. I assume this is through some back channels and not one of the "known" DVC rental sites?

BigRedDad

RCI most likely. I deal with a few people I met through renting their timeshares. One lady I actually met in person runs it as a business. She has over 50 million Wyndham points. She buys cheap ones for sale all the time. She has 2 kids that would have had to go to daycare at about $2,000 a month (her old monthly paycheck). She was a stay-at-home mom and started renting vacations. She amassed a ton of points. She only makes about $100 per vacation booking, but she only needs to make a few a month to have a decent income.

Rob562

RCI most likely. I deal with a few people I met through renting their timeshares. One lady I actually met in person runs it as a business. She has over 50 million Wyndham points. She buys cheap ones for sale all the time. She has 2 kids that would have had to go to daycare at about $2,000 a month (her old monthly paycheck). She was a stay-at-home mom and started renting vacations. She amassed a ton of points. She only makes about $100 per vacation booking, but she only needs to make a few a month to have a decent income.

Sounds about right. We're currently on a waitlist to exchange our timeshare week into DVC through RCI in October/November. We'll most likely end up with a 1-bedroom at SSR since that's 95% of what DVC has been depositing into the RCI network.

If you add up the maintenance fees on our own timeshare week, the exchange fee and the $95 "because-we-can usage fee" that DVC charges, our week will cost us about $1000. A 1-bedroom at SSR rented through a broker would cost us about $2900.

And actually, I just priced it out using the new fall discount, and booking direct from Disney that week in a 1-bedroom would be about $40 cheaper that renting the DVC points...

-Rob

Disneykings

Has anyone used Amazon Prime Pantry for delivery to SSR? We need gluten-free items.

Sorry cant help with Amazon Prime but garden grocer do some gluten-free items and there special request service is great. We have a peanut allergy and IBS sufferer and they where great. Our delivery was waiting for us when we arrived, already booking my order for this year with special requests again. They even call us in the UK to confirm requests in person.

CalicoJack97

Saratoga Springs is a great resort! The rooms are nice and spread out in space. They overlook either the lakes, the parking lots, buena vista drive or the bigger lake near Downtown Disney (yes it's still called DTD to me!) But for advice, the dining options at SS are shoddy and the food isn't spectacular.. My advice just take the bus or take a short to Downtown Disney for more dining options! Hope this helps! Happy trails! ;)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Not SSR its the one resort I really hate. Too big and sterile. OKW is great, Actually SSR is good if you have a tree house and just use the quiet pool and avoid the gated community across the golf course. I loved the Polly and WL is Mrs Saks Fave.On a serious note SSR is the only resort Ive stayed at where Ive thought the unit looked shabby.
But straight answer OKW. so you now know where to avoid.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Not SSR its the one resort I really hate. Too big and sterile. OKW is great, Actually SSR is good if you have a tree house and just use the quiet pool and avoid the gated community across the golf course. I loved the Polly and WL is Mrs Saks Fave.On a serious note SSR is the only resort Ive stayed at where Ive thought the unit looked shabby.
But straight answer OKW. so you now know where to avoid.
We love the treehouses, and have stayed there multiple times.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
We love the treehouses, and have stayed there multiple times.

Only complaint is the SSR buses. we walked across to the first stop so we always got on but it was the 20 min tour of site before heading out that killed. Liked a post park beverage on the balcony at night. Great value too :eek:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Only complaint is the SSR buses. we walked across to the first stop so we always got on but it was the 20 min tour of site before heading out that killed. Liked a post park beverage on the balcony at night. Great value too :eek:
Haven't you gone to WDW many times? You shouldn't be in full on park commando mode anymore, but actually relaxing on vacation. Does it really kill your day that much to spend 15-20 extra minutes on a bus, so that you don't have to drive? I mean, you mentioned loving adult beverages. That bus ride allows you to imbibe all you want, and not have to worry about driving back to your resort.

We love sitting out on our balcony in the evening with an adult beverage, and SSR is a nice quiet refuge from the hectic pace of the parks. One of the many reasons we love it there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom