Sally Figure added to Haunted Mansion Holiday

Phroobar

I would agree. The "I'm over it" feeling only seems to exist with a handful of fans online. The paying customers in the park seem to go ga-ga over Haunted Mansion Holiday every year, even 15 years later.

I half expect to see some Internet Superfan standing at the entrance to Haunted Mansion Holiday, just under the wait time sign of 45 minutes or roughly double its normal wait time, saying "No, you guys, don't go on this ride! You are supposed to hate it! This isn't popular anymore! Seriously, get out of line! This is a dumb ride now. Go away! Why are you still in line?!?"
So that is what Kira Nerys is doing these days.

NobodyElse

It does guarantee that objects are moved around. In some cases, like with the decaying fruit effect, this has been a positive for the normal Mansion. In many cases, as with the Singing Busts and the bride, the props return wonky or misaligned. All of surfaces, like the walls in the stretching room and corridor of doors, take on lots of wear and tear. The lighting and audio are showing their age and their levels are never quite right. Unfortunately, the downtime the attraction gets every year don't take time to refurbish or replace things that should be, unless they are very damaged. As a comparison, I just returned from WDW where their Mansion is pristine and well-maintained, despite few closures since 2007.

Thank you for the response. I've got some passes to use up before the end of the year, but I'll try to get back next year after it's return to normal operation to see how it looks.

Does anybody else remember how poor the audio was (I'm thinking especially about the on-board narration) prior to the HMH years? I distinctly remember full words being lopped off of sentences.

BrianLo

One thing about HMH I don't like is how long it's kept. That I do agree with other fans. If anything, put it up during the Christmas season only.

Ya, I understand that it's a lot to put up for one holiday only.

If anything Disneyland needs to move to truncate how long it celebrates Halloween and Christmas. Halloween should only go up in October, Christmas really should only be a month too.

That's never going to happen though...

As a compromise they need to start celebrating Thanksgiving and make that primarily for the month of November, some of the Halloween stuff can be transitional into "the harvest".

LongLiveTheKing

Original Poster
It is certainly an experience. Whether one dislikes it or not, props should be given to Disney for the amount of detail that is put into the attraction.

One thing about HMH I don't like is how long it's kept. That I do agree with other fans. If anything, put it up during the Christmas season only.
If it was Christmas only you'd have to have the downtime be during November, i.e. Thanksgiving travel season which is not gonna happen at a Disney park. If the change was done during October, they'd be missing out on Halloween travel and lowering the Halloween party ticket revenue, which is also not happening. They make this change so early because the holiday season starts in October. It's not December exclusive.

Also, I've only been to Disneyland once during December but have seen NMBC during several trips, and I'm not the only person in that boat. One month isn't enough time to reasonably see the change for most people, and that one month is also by far the busiest of the year and to force people to go during that incredibly impacted time would be awful.. December only is too limited and arguably to the point of why bother with the downtime if it's only for a month? A fourth of the year for a ride overlay is still having the normal Mansion as the vast majority of the time, too.

Last edited:

LongLiveTheKing

Original Poster
Thank you for the response. I've got some passes to use up before the end of the year, but I'll try to get back next year after it's return to normal operation to see how it looks.

Does anybody else remember how poor the audio was (I'm thinking especially about the on-board narration) prior to the HMH years? I distinctly remember full words being lopped off of sentences.
I was there in August and I didn't notice anything obviously wrong with the audio. The thing that was broken was the shaking man squeaking when he moved and the dog wasn't working at all.

brb1006

If anything Disneyland needs to move to truncate how long it celebrates Halloween and Christmas. Halloween should only go up in October, Christmas really should only be a month too.

As a compromise they need to start celebrating Thanksgiving and make that primarily for the month of November, some of the Halloween stuff can be transitional into "the harvest".
Heck Disneyland Paris and Tokyo both celebrate the harvest and halloween aspect.

TP2000

It follows a nearly identical schedule to DLR.

Yup. Tokyo's Haunted Mansion Holiday opened last week, and it will run until January 5th, 2017. Then reopen on January 24th, 2017 as regular Haunted Mansion. http://info.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/schedule/stop/stop_list.html

Tokyo's is a nearly identical version to WDW's Haunted Mansion when it comes to facade, track and queue. Which tells me they could do Haunted Mansion Holiday easily at WDW, but they choose not to for some reason.

hmw389535LARGE.jpg

Californian Elitist

Correct, never going to happen. They just made one of the Fantasyland stores a permanent holiday shop. They know holidays are profitable... Shortening HMH's time is not an option.

GiveMeTheMusic

Yup. Tokyo's Haunted Mansion Holiday opened last week, and it will run until January 5th, 2017. Then reopen on January 24th, 2017 as regular Haunted Mansion. http://info.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/schedule/stop/stop_list.html

Tokyo's is a nearly identical version to WDW's Haunted Mansion when it comes to facade, track and queue. Which tells me they could do Haunted Mansion Holiday easily at WDW, but they choose not to for some reason.

hmw389535LARGE.jpg

Yes, TDL's HM is identical to WDW's (pre-2007 anyway) only it's kept in pristine condition and is blissfully devoid of Constance the ride-ruining bride. The scrims are pristine and the ghost figures are correctly painted - it's honestly like riding a different ride than what's presented at the stateside resorts.

Due to the WDW track layout, the HMH implementation is very different than DL's until you reach the shared show scenes (hallway of doors, Leota, ballroom, etc). TDL's starts off with Jack and Sally AA's welcoming you to the mansion before you glide down the portrait hallway and into the library. Another Sally figure listens attentively to Scary Teddy playing the harpsichord, and what is now the Escher staircase room in WDW features trembling bugs awaiting their dinner-plate-fate with Oogie Boogie.

To my knowledge HMH has received no significant upgrades at TDL since it opened, so newer effects like the stretching room ceiling projection and the 2016 Sally graveyard figure aren't present. I would still give the TDL version a slight edge however - I prefer the WDW track layout and you just can't beat the condition TDL keeps their attractions in.

The usual reason trotted out for WDW not doing HMH is the downtime required to put it up and take it down. They just can't afford to take it down, the loyal fans say, because so many people are visiting once in a lifetime or from far-flung destinations and they not only need the ride to be up, they need it to be normal or they'll throw a fit. That of course is not the reason WDW doesn't do HMH. WDW doesn't do HMH because Phil Holmes hates it (and HM is his favorite ride, which is why it was the only MK attraction to flourish under his dubious leadership while other rides like Space and Pirates fell into extreme disrepair) and then the reason above all reasons - it costs money.

WDW is the only Disney resort in the world to eschew holiday overlays completely (unless you count SDL, but they're just getting started and haven't had any holiday celebrations yet). Does anyone really believe that there aren't thousands of visitors to those resorts who are coming for a once in a lifetime trip? WDW even stopped doing the Country Bear Christmas Special, which required little to no downtime to put up each year. Holiday overlays cost money and there's nothing TDO won't do to avoid spending a dollar. Gotta collect those bonuses!

The whole once in a lifetime argument is used to justify WDW's lack of attraction refurbs and aging roster of crappy entertainment as well, and it's just a crock of poo.

Figments Friend

I went on Friday night to check it out and willingly waited in a 100 minute standby line. Its popularity only seems to grow. I saw last night it peaked at 125 minutes.

I have been in the Park the last three nights since it opened and lines have been insane for it.
FP is also typically gone about half way through the day.
I have only been able to ride once in that 3- day time period thus far due to the long wait times.

It seems this years debut has brought in even more people to see it.
When I was here a couple of years ago on the same 'Opening' weekend I remember the crowds lined up but nothing like this year seems to be.
'HMH's popularity seems to only be growing.

-

mikenatcity1

I have been in the Park the last three nights since it opened and lines have been insane for it.
FP is also typically gone about half way through the day.
I have only been able to ride once in that 3- day time period thus far due to the long wait times.

It seems this years debut has brought in even more people to see it.
When I was here a couple of years ago on the same 'Opening' weekend I remember the crowds lined up but nothing like this year seems to be.
'HMH's popularity seems to only be growing.

-

wow! I was wondering if it seemed like that last year or I was just crazy (well, both!). From years past it had long lines but nothing like last year...honestly, HMH was one of the big draws for us coming for the christmas holiday (and Small World)...

Stevek

I've ridden it pretty much every year since it's original incarnation with the exception of maybe once. Have always enjoyed it, always look forward to it but agree that 4-5 months is a long time to be without the original. I can see someone making a once in a lifetime trip to DL and being disappointed...but I can also see the other side that it might be something special for those same folks since HMH is unique and here for a "limited" time each year.

dweezil78

To my knowledge HMH has received no significant upgrades at TDL since it opened, so newer effects like the stretching room ceiling projection and the 2016 Sally graveyard figure aren't present.

Not sure if I'm in the minority, and I'm not an "anti-screen" guy necessarily, but I think the move to the projection was a huge misstep. You never get a perception of any real depth on the ceiling and it annoys me to no end at how low-res and pixellated the video is up there, at least when it's in static mode until the end. The huge Jack head was a way cooler ending to the sequence IMO. One of them was hanging up on a wall at Company D for a while, I wonder where it is now...

CompanyD-114.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom