Sailing on the Wonder...and I was wondering...

Bam Bam

Original Poster
My husband and I are sailing on the Wonder and I am afraid he maybe a little let down. We have sailed on the Fantasy and with it being new, will we be disappointed with the Wonder? Also, on a 4 night cruise will there be a pirate night or a semi formal night?

Bolna

I have Never been on the Fantasy, only on the Wonder. But I thought, she was a lovely ship and still very sparkly! She might lack some of the newer technology, but for example Route 66, the adult area, has a great theme! Be sure to check it out, especially the Cadillac lounge and the bathrooms!

PensFan

We have sailed on both the Fantasy and the Wonder in the last two years. We absolutely loved them both. The Fantasy is shiny and new with all of the fun, new technology. But the Wonder is beautiful as well. We didn't find her worn or tired at all! And we loved the "feel" of the Wonder. It's a smaller ship, and there is a much more intimate feel on the classic ships. You really come to know the crew and some of your fellow passengers. While the service on the Fantasy was typically Disney-esque (aka wonderful), I honestly don't think it compared to the Wonder. The Wonder CM's (we sailed in July 2012) were some of the best you'll find.

I wouldn't hesitate to book any Disney ship. We pick the destinations, not the ships. We have the Magic booked for next summer, not because of the renovation, but because it's Norway and Iceland!

Seeing that you are going on a four night cruise, I'm assuming it's to the Bahamas. If you have a Castaway Cay stop, an added bonus of being on a classic vs new ship, is less people to share the beach with. A nice plus!

As for your questions about semi formal and pirate night, the last time we took a four day, yes, we had both ( no formal night though, just the semi formal). But that was about 7 or 8 years ago, so it might have changed. Hopefully someone else can answer that one.

Enjoy your cruise. You're going to love the Wonder.

fltink

I agree... As long as you know what to expect, you'll be fine! The ship is still beautiful and well cared for. Service is still impeccable. Personally, I really enjoy the "classic" ships, (Magic and Wonder), since the smaller size means less people onboard.

wogwog

I agree... As long as you know what to expect, you'll be fine! The ship is still beautiful and well cared for. Service is still impeccable. Personally, I really enjoy the "classic" ships, (Magic and Wonder), since the smaller size means less people onboard.
Yes this. Fantasy, 4200 fine cruisers and a wonderful crew. Wonder, 2400 fine cruisers and a wonderful crew.
You will really notice the difference on Castaway Cay. I wanted a cruise in October and deliberately chose back to back on the Wonder over the Dream or Fantasy. Yes, pirate night. If you are saying in October or even late September you will also have a Halloween overlay to the ship and activities.

PixieMichele

Think of it this way...The Magic and the Wonder are like Disneyland, they are the originals, they have something special about them because they are the original ships, and they have a quaint feeling. The crew on the Wonder is the friendliest of all the ships in my opinion and you really feel like everyone knows your name.

The Fantasy and the Dream are the newer ships with all the latest and greatest, like Walt Disney World. So you just have to check your expectations. Don't expect to see top of the line technology and the vastness that the Fantasy has on the Wonder, you won't find it.

What you fill find is a less crowded ship with a dedicated staff, cleanliness, great entertainment and all the other factors of a great cruise. So while it might not have the glitz and glam of the bigger ships, find the things you love about the smaller ships!

Tonka's Skipper

If you like Disney or any of the 4 dcl vessels you will love them all. Now you may like one more then the others, but you will not be disappointed.

Their style and the Disney experiences out shines the other line vessels.

AKK

Ulysses McGill

My wife and I went on the Fantasy for our honeymoon, our first-ever Disney cruise, and we went on the Magic for our one-year anniversary. We were not at all disappointed. It was a tiny bit of an adjustment, but it didn't take long for the charm of the Magic to overwhelm any feelings of not being as new and having the updated amenities as the Fantasy.

We're going on the Wonder in 60 days, and we have no fear that we're going to enjoy it fully.

Overall, the biggest difference from the big ship to the smaller ship that we've seen is the personal touches. The staff is much more attuned to spending time to get to know you and interact on the smaller ship than the big ones.

However, I would LOVE if they added the in-room free movie On-Demand service to the smaller ships that we experience on the Fantasy. We really liked laying in bed at night and watching a movie before bed.

tink66

My wife and I went on the Fantasy for our honeymoon, our first-ever Disney cruise, and we went on the Magic for our one-year anniversary. We were not at all disappointed. It was a tiny bit of an adjustment, but it didn't take long for the charm of the Magic to overwhelm any feelings of not being as new and having the updated amenities as the Fantasy.

We're going on the Wonder in 60 days, and we have no fear that we're going to enjoy it fully.

Overall, the biggest difference from the big ship to the smaller ship that we've seen is the personal touches. The staff is much more attuned to spending time to get to know you and interact on the smaller ship than the big ones.

However, I would LOVE if they added the in-room free movie On-Demand service to the smaller ships that we experience on the Fantasy. We really liked laying in bed at night and watching a movie before bed.

Oh that is really a shame about the movies in the room!! We also enjoyed that on the dream. Im so surprised they do not have that on all the ships. So was there only a few channels in the room available?

Ulysses McGill

Oh that is really a shame about the movies in the room!! We also enjoyed that on the dream. Im so surprised they do not have that on all the ships. So was there only a few channels in the room available?

As I recall, there were a handful of channels in the room (ESPN, CNN, every iteration of Disney channel), and then the movie part was just a selection of movies that were broadcast on the closed circuit. So for example, Beauty and the Best might run 8 or 9 times through the day, but it wasn't on demand. There were probably about 10 or so movies to choose from at any given time, but it was based on whatever they played that day.

We didn't spend that much time in the room other than to sleep, get cleaned up or whatever, so it wasn't a big deal. It would have just been a nice thing to have.

Bolna

I remember reading something about this when the Magic was reimagined that in order to have the on demand system they actually need a serious computer network update for the whole ship. And they did not get around to it this time. However, supposedly the infrastructure for the new networking cables was already laid in the Magic, so I think they are planning on doing it at some point. This is all just a vague recollection of rumours I read!! So take it with a grain of salt!

Ulysses McGill

I remember reading something about this when the Magic was reimagined that in order to have the on demand system they actually need a serious computer network update for the whole ship. And they did not get around to it this time. However, supposedly the infrastructure for the new networking cables was already laid in the Magic, so I think they are planning on doing it at some point. This is all just a vague recollection of rumours I read!! So take it with a grain of salt!

That would be awesome, if true. Even something small like checking your room statement was nice to have handy.

LSUmagic

Oh, I had no idea you could check our room statement on the TVs - that would be great! And it is something that a lot of hotels offer.
We really enjoyed being able to check on the Fantasy. Much easier to keep track of how much you were spending.

I'm finding as we cruise the different ships that each one has its own charm. Best policy is to appreciate what each one has to offer instead of "missing" whats not there.

Bolna

I'm finding as we cruise the different ships that each one has its own charm. Best policy is to appreciate what each one has to offer instead of "missing" whats not there.

Very well put! :)

ETA: Oh - and welcome to wdwmagic!! I see you just joined two days ago!

kimrn87

My husband and I are sailing on the Wonder and I am afraid he maybe a little let down. We have sailed on the Fantasy and with it being new, will we be disappointed with the Wonder? Also, on a 4 night cruise will there be a pirate night or a semi formal night?

My husband and I sailed for the first time in February on the Fantasy and we are going to sail on the Wonder next year in November. I had wondered the same thing but my goal is to sell on them all :). I think whatever Disney does is usually always great and I am looking forward to the experience. I appreciate the other posts because it is making me look forward to our sailing even more! Anyone have any idea on weather expectations on Castaway Cay in November? Unfortunately it rained and was chilly in February :-(

tink66

My husband and I sailed for the first time in February on the Fantasy and we are going to sail on the Wonder next year in November. I had wondered the same thing but my goal is to sell on them all :). I think whatever Disney does is usually always great and I am looking forward to the experience. I appreciate the other posts because it is making me look forward to our sailing even more! Anyone have any idea on weather expectations on Castaway Cay in November? Unfortunately it rained and was chilly in February :-(
We went last year in November and it was beautiful beautiful weather beautiful seas. My friends went the following week could not even dock in Nassau rainy and cold. So you really don't know it's kind of anyone's guess

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom