Safety in the DLR area

LeafsFanNL

Original Poster
Hi guys,

DW and I are heading to DLR in early July. We are staying at the Best Western Park Place Inn. I probably should have thought of this earlier, but how safe is the area around DisneyLand? We will be coming out of the parks after dark, and DW is exhibiting some concern over this.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
It's Orlando you have to worry about...shady characters.

mickey-mouse-mugshot-500x524_zps68772556.jpg

jrlbc06

I've stayed there several times and never felt unsafe whatsoever walking back to the hotel after midnight.

You're basically just crossing one street from the entrance of Disneyland and typically with a huge horde of people anyway.

TP2000

I probably should have thought of this earlier, but how safe is the area around Disneyland? We will be coming out of the parks after dark, and DW is exhibiting some concern over this.

Does your DW feel safe in Central Florida? If she does, she should feel triple as safe in Anaheim. Orlando/Kissimmee has one of the highest crime rates of any mid-sized city in the USA.

Anaheim has a crime rate lower than average for a mid-sized American city. And the Resort District around Disneyland specifically is safer than the Anaheim city average. Central Florida cities and tourist areas have much higher crime rates and are statistically less safe to inhabit than Anaheim.

Orlando, Population 238,000 + Kissimmee, Population 59,000 - Combined Population 297,000
Rapes = 153 - 55 per 100,000 people
Assaults = 2,184 - 721 per 100,000 people
Thefts = 13,372 - 4,552 per 100,000 people
Auto Thefts = 1,445 - 465 per 100,000 people
Registered Sex Offenders Living In Orlando & Kissimmee = 2,255 (Ratio of sex offenders to citizens, 134 to 1)
Crime Average = 507 (USA Average is 301, lower is better)

Anaheim, Population 336,000 (more than Orlando & Kissimmee combined)
Rapes = 82 - 23 per 100,000
Assaults = 742 - 215 per 100,000
Thefts = 7,025 - 2,039 per 100,000
Auto Thefts = 1,440 - 418 per 100,000 people
Registered Sex Offenders Living in Anaheim = 287 (Ratio of sex offenders to citizens, 1,196 to 1)
Crime Average = 259 (USA Average is 301, lower is better)

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Anaheim-California.html

The relatively high number of auto thefts in Anaheim can be attributed to the median income of the two metro areas of Disneyland and WDW, both called Orange County. Orange County, California is one of the most affluent counties in the nation, and there's a lot of very fancy cars driving around that are nice targets.

Median Family Income
Orange County, California = $81,260
Orange County, Florida = $41,311

Last edited:

Bairstow

You will see homeless people on Harbor and Katella, but nothing I would consider dangerous. The sidewalks are well lit, and the city maintains a heavy police presence, for obvious reasons.

Stevek

I worked about a mile north of Disneyland from 1992-2006 and never felt threatened or concerned...and that's arguably a worse area than around the resort. If you are in the resort area, you'll have no problems.

Ztonyg

As your hotel is directly across the entrance from the park, in an incredibly well lit area with heavy foot traffic, you'll be absolutely fine.

It's amazing how clean and well lit the area on Harbor between Katella and I-5 is.

ght

You will be fine. You are literally staying directly across the street from the resort and will likely be crossing the street with a bunch of other tourists and park guests. Once you are across the street you are at your hotel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom