Safari Truck Collides with Water Bridge

4disneylovers

I've never seen working girl. This is a true story from something that happened in the late '70s. I guess he made the suggestion several times before an adult would actually listen to him. This area recently underwent a major rehab where they dug the road down much deeper. The area where I live that is.

G00fyDad

Why was the truck on a flatbed? Why not drop it at the entrance of Disney property and drive it in the rest of the way, or tow it with a standard wrecker? OR, maybe, just maybe that truck driver could have discovered the clearance for the load, and gone out of his/her way to NOT go under any "questionable" overpasses.

Victor Kelly

Any road that the general public has open access to, is a public road. Only after a checkpoint is installed that limits access to the road, is it a private road or unless otherwise posted as such.

And yes, same with my job.:D

G00fyDad

Any road that the general public has open access to, is a public road. Only after a checkpoint is installed that limits access to the road, is it a private road or unless otherwise posted as such.

And yes, same with my job.:D

I wasn't sure since it is technically a private property road, but it still has access to and from public roads.

I never questioned your job. :D

Victor Kelly

Fairly sure. Same reason vehicles without tags are transported on car carrier or tow truck. It would cost Disney a fortune to maintain vehicle registry and separate insurance on each vehicle since they are never really intended to be used on public roads. I suppose they could get an exemption from the State of Florida for transportation to and from maintenance work and parks.

Goofyernmost

Why was the truck on a flatbed? Why not drop it at the entrance of Disney property and drive it in the rest of the way, or tow it with a standard wrecker? OR, maybe, just maybe that truck driver could have discovered the clearance for the load, and gone out of his/her way to NOT go under any "questionable" overpasses.
It might have been broken down. It didn't look like a new vehicle to me, but even a new one can breakdown. Otherwise, I am sure that Disney has many non-public access roads all over the place where they might have driven it there. There are many ways to transport vehicles, that is just the one that they decided to use that day. I don't think that Disney wants the public to see a vehicle on a tow truck which would denote a broken status. On a flatbed, it could be anything. I'm just throwing out guesses here.

What I did see during the film is that the driver was very aware that, at best, it was going to be close to not going under the bridge. He slowed to almost a stop before it actually hit anything. He took a gamble and lost big time.

jakeman

Because the trucks max out at about 8 mph, 25 if the governor is off...and it breaks theming.

G00fyDad

Because the trucks max out at about 8 mph, 25 if the governor is off...and it breaks theming.

Those trucks without a governor are just like any other truck you can buy for street or construction use. There is absolutely no way with the governor taken off that it wouldn't go above 25 miles an hour. It will do the exact same speed as any other truck like that you'd purchase.

However, I do agree that the condition that Disney purchases them in requires a governor and therefore would not be able to be driven on the street in any kind of decent fashion.

jakeman

Those trucks without a governor are just like any other truck you can buy for street or construction use. There is absolutely no way with the governor taken off that it wouldn't go above 25 miles an hour. It will do the exact same speed as any other truck like that you'd purchase.

However, I do agree that the condition that Disney purchases them in requires a governor and therefore would not be able to be driven on the street in any kind of decent fashion.
There are two governors on the trucks. The primary only allow 8 mph (with can be goosed to 14 under certain circumstances). The secondary only allows for 25 mph.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
So, I just ran across this video. It's not as severe as it sounds but still kind of worth noting. As many of you may know, Kilimanjaro Safaris is in the process of switching over to a new fleet of vehicles, and I'm honestly not sure of the entire process, but about every three to four weeks, Safaris replaces one of its truck with a new one like this.

I'm assuming from the location, that it was being transported to Central Shops before proceeding to DAK.

b4f748eaebea4c16a5a90fe099cdf0f5.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom