Rumor: Will Alcoholic Beverages Be Included on the 2018 Disney Dining Plan?

andysol

The price changes should be the following:
QS- $52.49 (up from $48.19)
DDP- $75.59 (up from $69.35)
Deluxe DDP- $116.24 (up from $106.68)

So a pretty good change if you drink for lunch and dinner. That's $2.15/drink if you're on QS, $3.07/drink if you're on DDP and $4.78/drink on the deluxe (I only divided this by two because you can't get alcohol for breakfast on the plan).
Oh ya- plus the 20% tip on a $10 beer or $15 cocktail. Certainly better for the servers.
Still- That's pretty cheap booze for anywhere- least of all Disney.

But let's be real- the dining plan is still a complete rip-off. I'd much rather order what I want to order instead of being forced to have the most expensive thing at each place or to eat at disgusting buffets just to break even or barely ahead at best.

Last edited:

AndrewsJ

I don't drink and I don't use the dining plan (DVC and TIW for us) but not offering alcohol with the dining plan never made sense to me. Many of my friends who are parents look forward to that one beer or one glass of wine with a meal. Maybe they even have two. Like it or not, being a parent is stressful and I would hate to see them without that glass of wine or beer. It doesn't mean they are alcoholics and it doesn't mean they are drunk. It is simply one thing that they do to relax. I do wish Disney had made it an add on for those who don't want it but rest assured the dining plan cost would have increased significantly with or without this change. Maybe we will see a lot less stressed out parents in WDW with this change. Maybe we won't but I honestly don't think this is remotely close to drinking around the world or drinking at Food and Wine. Time will tell but I think the only difference most will notice is a price increase.

Kevin_W

I'm curious if this means the menu prices will be going up 9% next year as well to keep the perceived value of the dining plan, or if the addition of alcohol to the DDP is enough that they can scale the menu prices close to inflation.

Even during "free dining", I found that the DDP was more calories in a day than I typically need even on vacation. I don't drink and I can't imagine substituting a milkshake or specialty drink at meals on the DDP.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It's Disney, meaning everyone pays whether or not you choose to have an alcoholic beverage with your meal. Or if you're being charged as an 'adult' and you are in the 11 year time span between when Disney charges you as an 'adult' and when you can actually drink alcohol. What a racket...

For those who have been going to WDW since... well, I can't remember when exactly they phased this out, but there used to be child, junior, and adult pricing on rooms and tickets. I believe it was 3-12, 13-17, and 18+ for the age ranges. Wouldn't it be nice to have pricing based on age when it comes to kids, rather than the 3-9 "child" and 10+ "adult" pricing?!?!

And, most importantly, you read it here first, in the screenshot posted earlier - Disney is calling alcohol an 'enhancement'. ;) :arghh: :banghead:

MotherofaPrincessLover

The price increase isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm not a big drinker and don't like to drink during meals so I'm not sure if I'll be using the dining plan again.

Jon81uk

I don't pay for the plan as it doesn't look like a good value, I only get it free with the UK package.

However these changes might make the plan much worse value. I never have alcohol with quick service and only about half the time with table service I would want a wine or beer. Would be better to offer it as an upgrade package rather than force people into it.

drizgirl

I don't drink and I don't use the dining plan (DVC and TIW for us) but not offering alcohol with the dining plan never made sense to me. Many of my friends who are parents look forward to that one beer or one glass of wine with a meal. Maybe they even have two. Like it or not, being a parent is stressful and I would hate to see them without that glass of wine or beer. It doesn't mean they are alcoholics and it doesn't mean they are drunk. It is simply one thing that they do to relax. I do wish Disney had made it an add on for those who don't want it but rest assured the dining plan cost would have increased significantly with or without this change. Maybe we will see a lot less stressed out parents in WDW with this change. Maybe we won't but I honestly don't think this is remotely close to drinking around the world or drinking at Food and Wine. Time will tell but I think the only difference most will notice is a price increase.
I wonder if the alcohol would relax them as much if they had kids over the age of 10 they were also paying the upgraded price for.

Nothing was preventing them from buying a glass of wine or beer before.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I wonder if the alcohol would relax them as much if they had kids over the age of 10 they were also paying the upgraded price for.

But now it's MAGICALLY!!! free!!!!!!!

For the record - I disagree with rolling the addition of one alcoholic beverage per meal (for those guests age 21+ only) into pricing the dining plan. It should be an add-on option. Of course, then the guests have a choice, and DDP is NOT about having choices...

becca_

But now it's MAGICALLY!!! free!!!!!!!

For the record - I disagree with rolling the addition of one alcoholic beverage per meal (for those guests age 21+ only) into pricing the dining plan. It should be an add-on option. Of course, then the guests have a choice, and DDP is NOT about having choices...

I agree, I'm under 21 and so is my boyfriend, and we are planning on getting the dining plan but it's stupid we can't opt out since we wouldn't be able to drink anyway... :banghead:

JTT

It makes sense for Disney. They buy in such huge amounts that one cocktail or beer is nothing to them.

However most people after having one drink are more likely to but another. That's where Disney cashes in. $$

TeriofTerror

Is there an DDP option *not* to include these new beverages, or are they simply part of all packages now?
I do not believe there is an alcohol-less option. Non-drinkers get a specialty beverage.

What I've learned thus far:
1. At signature restaurants, you still only get one alcoholic beverage (even though you're using two credits)
2. Wine options are limited to whatever is sold by the glass, and only apply to options that, if you were to buy the bottle, would be under $45/bottle
What I forgot to ask:
Will counter service restaurants at the MK now offer alcohol, so that I can properly utilize my dining credits?

AndrewsJ

If it that's big of an economical hardship then they shouldn't purchase the dining plan in the first place. Paying out of pocket is almost always the cheaper route.

The dining plan is a luxury add on. It's not a package requirement. As a matter of fact a Disney vacation is a luxury item. Complaining about cost and value will never change anything at all. Prices will continue to rise until people stop going.

MJ6987

Some follow on questions...

- Will an adult (over 21) be able to have the alcoholic drink of someone who is below that age?
- Will MK now have alcoholic drinks in more restaurants?
- Will more Counter Service places now have alcoholic drinks?
- Does this include the drinks with special souvenir cups?
- Will this put a stop to free dining promotions (now costs Disney more)?
- How strict is Florida on drink / driving?

Darkseid

I am torn on this. I get the dining plan for convenience only. I like going on vacation knowing that everything is paid for, besides tips and other various incidentals. I also like that I can order the most expensive thing on a menu if I please. I have crunched the numbers, and my family would at very least be breaking even, so yep, all about the convenience and a ton of rice crispy treats.

I will admit that I will often pass up an alcoholic beverage because I can't justify spending the extra money on it. Even vacation me can be frugal when it comes to that, so this works out well from that perspective. My DS will love being able to get a milkshake or some sort of specialty drink.

My parents do not drink, nor would they be interested in a specialty beverage, so they might feel that this is an inconvenience for them. The price difference between 2017 and 2018 is minimal enough to simply be called inflation though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom