News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

skyphotographer

I'm within driving distance of Orlando and always use my car to get there. Any parking fee at a Disney hotel would be the end of me ever staying at a Disney hotel again. I know of a great off-site hotel I've stayed at many times. Bigger rooms, free breakfast, and no resort fees or parking fees. They also provide free transportation to the Disney parks. Tacking a resort fee on top of the parking fee would guarantee that I would never come back.

For the record, I've never stayed at any hotel anywhere that charges parking fees or resort fees. I can always find a place that doesn't.

asianway

So just a thought...

What if they are two separate things? What if it's a parking fee for non-resort guest, thus eliminating the "park at resort for free and hop a bus to your preferred park" and a resort fee for onsite guest?

Not saying that is better, but that makes more logical sense.

Of course this whole thread could just be a trial balloon.
On one hand Disneyland resorts do charge to park. On the other, wDW resorts build Magical Express into the room meaning you're paying it even if you drive. Now, if they charged to park AND MME? Hmmmm

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You're DVC right.. in all of your years at Disney do you actually see them adding a fee without any new services? Taking exactly what is there now and charging for it. Alienating their guests and most likely receiving heavy criticism in the press. Can you give me an example of anything like this that has ever occurred?. Apples to Apples, not a dessert party or holiday party which actually do add something extra.

I am DVC.

This is a simple one. They add the resort fee, type up an official list of included amenities, and they are done. No announcement on the parks blog or anything. Maybe they start handing out the USA Today again.

21stamps

I'll take the bait, because I'm a sucker...

Off the top of my head: Non-expiring ticket option.

Tickets didn't originally have an expiration date. Then they added a fee for that. Checkmate.
That's a park ticket. Prices and options can change at any time.
Parking can be zoned to include "premium". That's also a change that is common with parking lots.
But resort fees arbitrarily added, not including anything additional to what is already there? We'll see. I typically use Atlantis as an example bc they are one of the most ridiculous about extra fees...but at least they throw in stuff to semi justify it.. even though 99.999% of people will never use all of the services provided under the "fee".

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Parking can be zoned to include "premium". That's also a change that is common with parking lots.
But resort fees arbitrarily added, not including anything additional to what is already there? We'll see. I typically use Atlantis as an example bc they are one of the most ridiculous about extra fees...but at least they throw in stuff to semi justify it.. even though 99.999% of people will never use all of the services provided under the "fee".
Prices can change at any time. Like fees at a resort....

Tavernacle12

Didn't they have a survey about this last year?
I remember them actually adding some perks to justify hotel fees (at least to the survey taker) such as additional FPs and hotel meet and greats.
Personally I'm barely justifying All-Star nightly prices as is, adding more cost would kill trips.

alphac2005

Even some of the larger Hoteliers are starting to rethink resort fees... It is a way to make more money from the guests but creates a lot of ill will...Especially for Disney. Why should we now pay to park our car at the hotel we always parked at before? What the hell are you supposed to do with your car on vacation to avoid high parking fees?
Saying that "The Industry" is charging these fees doesn't necessarily make it the right thing to do. "The Industry" MAny Hotels like Hampton Inns also provide breakfast for their guests in the morning too...That sure isn't going to happen... It wasn't untilmore recently that the premium hotel even got coffee makers in their rooms.
I get it, it's another revenue stream, but when you are already extracting maximum profit from your guests...When hotel priices are already premium, this seems more like a move to try and push the guests right to the edge...In the end, it will create a lot of bad feelings, and cause guests to spend less on their vacations That $30 parking fee is a meal somewhere.... BAD move.

Parking fees in cities and high property rent areas have always been logical and understandable. When a corporation owns a section of the Earth that is more than 40 square miles, it's an insult to your intelligence.

RobidaFlats

Simply stunning. I complied with the exact wording:

"in all of your years at Disney do you actually see them adding a fee without any new services? Taking exactly what is there now and charging for it."

and yet still it doesn't count. Bravo! Your dedication to the cause without regard to facts would make North Koreans blush.

21stamps

I'm within driving distance of Orlando and always use my car to get there. Any parking fee at a Disney hotel would be the end of me ever staying at a Disney hotel again. I know of a great off-site hotel I've stayed at many times. Bigger rooms, free breakfast, and no resort fees or parking fees. They also provide free transportation to the Disney parks. Tacking a resort fee on top of the parking fee would guarantee that I would never come back.

For the record, I've never stayed at any hotel anywhere that charges parking fees or resort fees. I can always find a place that doesn't.
Really? What about hotels on large properties that are Valet Only? This is one of my biggest pet peeves. As much as I hate parking fees, valet only is even worse..at that point I'd rather just pay to park my dan car myself.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Most non Disney hotels across the US charge parking fees at the hotels nightly if you have a car so this would not surprise me ...
Only those hotels where parking is already a monetized commodity (downtown, airports, resort areas). Your average suburban Marriott or Garden Inn doesn't usually charge for parking. I'd say the vast majority of hotels in the US do NOT charge for parking on that basis.

homerdance

Well, this would make off site once again a very viable option. Before, when adding parking fees at the parks, it was always a better deal to stay on property, if this fee is as suggested, it would be very hard to justify staying on property. We rarely use Magical Express, and normally rent a car, so having to pay both parking and resort fees? Besides, we are wanting to make our first ventures to USO and legoland, this may be the excuse we need.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I know you didn't. The point of my comment is what does the customer get for the new fee that we're not getting now? My guess is nothing. Which is why I think it's time for my family to stay away for another few years. When we go, we get two rooms at a monorail resort. Resort fees on top of already insane room rates would just add anywhere from $400 to $1,000 a week for absolutely no more than I get now. Plus jacking valet to $50 a day is just an added insult.
Agreed. I always treated my on-site stay as if the parking and resort fees were already built in to the room rate. Already hard to justify, it becomes durn near impossible if they add parking/resort fees to the mix.

beertiki

I don't think we will see resort fees. The Federal Trade Commision has said that separate resort fees harm consumers. It is hoped that this practice will be banned, but I am not sure if the current administration is on board. $30 a night to park seems excessive, I think Uni only charges $25 at the Pacific. I can not imagine paying an extra $30 a night to stay at POP, this would make a 4 night stay cost as much as 5 nights now and some guests will cut a trip a day short.

The day I have to pay to park at a Disney resorts, I will be mad and feel like I was taken advantage of. Yes, I knew about the fees, and I don't really need to go to Disney, but they knew $30 was not going to stop me. What they don't know is, I don't like to feel like a sucker, it makes mad and I am they type that will retaliate. Cheat me for $30 and I will make sure to spend $60 less, I won't buy beer, I will bring a flask.

They really should be able to find some way to separate me from $30 where I feel like I am at least getting something new instead of paying for something that has been free for the last 20 years.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They really should be able to find some way to separate me from $30 where I feel like I am at least getting something new instead of paying for something that has been free for the last 20 years.

What if they gave you a cupcake at the toll booth? Cupcakes are WDW's go to when they need an excuse to charge $$$ to watch parades or fireworks that are otherwise included with admission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom