News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

docdebbi

I have paid parking fees at hotels in the middle of large cities where parking is at a premium. (Baltimore, New York) I have never paid a parking fee at a freestanding not urban location where there is plenty of parking on property owned by the hotel.
that's the difference here.

Lets Respect

Also, let's be real, resort parking has been abused by many who book an ADR and then leave their car there and go to the parks. If it cuts down on that, then good

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
The thing that makes me chuckle is the fact that a lot of us can see why this is a bad idea yet I guarantee the resorts will still be filled.

You want a list of amentities that the "resort fee" will cover? Let's see: free wi-fi, use of pools and recreational areas, Disney Transportation to the parks, EMH...stuff you were already getting for free if staying on site. Now they will just charge you for it and mask it as "amentities."

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I fail to see any reason that charging for resort parking is a "Good idea" ...except another greedy cash grab. When are they going to have an extra "Bedding Fee" or tack on a "Clean Towels"fee? It is ridiculous.
This^^^^

One of the main reasons I stay on site and avoid the S&D and the resorts on HPB is because of resort fees.

If you need to charge $200 per night to be profitable, then charge $200 a night. Charging, and more to the point, advertising a room at $130 per night then tacking on $70 worth of fees is flat out dishonest.

azox

Since we're not paying resort fees now, what additional amenities will be added to suddenly justify a resort fee? Adding $50-$100 a day to the already outrageous resort prices may just be enough for me to call it quits for another year or two.

For people with a car already, it might make more sense to just stay off of property completely and then park
$30 a day to park? That's crazy.

Makes you wonder if parking at the theme parks will go to $30 too.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Disney finally seems to want their resorts to meet the standards of the Four Seasons, so we can expect to pay the fees associated with that.
Your saying that Disney will match the standard of Four Seasons by simply adding additional fees? If you are referring to the recently mentioned revamp of Mousekeeping, please explain how that will elevate any Disney resort to the level of a Four Seasons.

OliveMcFly

Just raise the damn ticket price if ya need to make more money. This nickel and diming business is for the birds.

It's just like bag fees on an airline. Just charge more for the stinking seat.

At least the airlines have a valid excuse: competition drove them to it keep the fare low.

A Disney vacation is not exactly in competition with much else...
That's my thought. Charge me while I don't know I'm being charged for it. We know we're paying for Magical Express somewhere but the fact that it's tied in to the package makes me feel it's actually complimentary.

jakeman

So just a thought...

What if they are two separate things? What if it's a parking fee for non-resort guest, thus eliminating the "park at resort for free and hop a bus to your preferred park" and a resort fee for onsite guest?

Not saying that is better, but that makes more logical sense.

Of course this whole thread could just be a trial balloon.

Bocabear

So just a thought...

What if they are two separate things? What if it's a parking fee for non-resort guest, thus eliminating the "park at resort for free and hop a bus to your preferred park" and a resort fee for onsite guest?

Not saying that is better, but that makes more logical sense.

Of course this whole thread could just be a trial balloon.
but with the guard houses at every resort, you can't just park at a resort...you have to be either staying there or using the restaurants...
So staying offsite and parking at one of the hotels to use the transportation system is not possible...
You could stay offsite and park at Disney Springs and use the transportation system though....

peter11435

but with the guard houses at every resort, you can't just park at a resort...you have to be either staying there or using the restaurants...
So staying offsite and parking at one of the hotels to use the transportation system is not possible...
You could stay offsite and park at Disney Springs and use the transportation system though....
Not exactly. With the exception of certain resorts and peak periods they will allow anyone to park at the resort. Just show your drivers license and tell them you are visiting.

jakeman

"Welcome to Port Orleans French Quarter. How can I help you?"

"I'm going to go get some beignets."

"May I see you're ID?...Welcome home!"

/Parks car and gets on bus to MK.

jt04

I fail to see any reason that charging for resort parking is a "Good idea" ...except another greedy cash grab. When are they going to have an extra "Bedding Fee" or tack on a "Clean Towels"fee? It is ridiculous.

I'm thinking it is about more than money. People have been taking advantage of the system for decades. I am shocked it took this long frankly. I like the current system but also always realized it couldn't last forever. Nothing does.

PS- This is great news for the new internal bus system.

21stamps

That's my thought. Charge me while I don't know I'm being charged for it. We know we're paying for Magical Express somewhere but the fact that it's tied in to the package makes me feel it's actually complimentary.
I completely agree. Resort fees are just a mind game...but it makes advertising a "room price" look better. Annoying and frustrating. I just would like someone to provide an example of a property that has done this -without adding any additional service. If the OP would have included something, even if it's a massively insignificant "add", then I would be much more inclined to believe this as an actual probability.

I can't see Disney risking that kind of backlash. I'd like to think they're a little more aware than to do something so stupid. Any major hotel would receive heavy criticism if that happened and their prices stayed the same.

The Visionary Soul

Original Poster
Makes you wonder if parking at the theme parks will go to $30 too.
It most definitely will not. When it comes to parking prices, resort parking always needs to be more expensive than theme park parking. Otherwise you'd just park at the resorts instead of parking at the theme park parking lots. (Look to Universal as an example)

Also, DVC people, I'm sure you'll get free parking for car or two when staying on points. Legally Disney can't get around that. It wasn't mentioned specifically, but that wasn't something that even came up.

And yes, the parking fee would be for everyone. It's not just "if you're not staying there." They did test a parking fee for non-resort guests last year. This is different.

I agree with all of you that the resort fees are a complete rip off. But Hilton and Hyatt both have them. I'm not sure how many other hotels have them in the Disney area, but I'd be willing to bet it's a pretty common thing.

As far as how common the parking fees are, I mean, everyone from Universal to Marriott to Hilton to Gaylord to Hyatt to Westin to Four Seasons has parking fees at their nicest resorts in the Orlando area.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And the best and most obvious reason would be to insure more captive audience situations. Keeping people onsite and spending every available nickel at Disney. I'm amazed that they didn't do this years ago as soon as they instituted the Magical Bus from the Airport.
The "Magical Bus" is a great example of how to keep guests onsite by adding ammenities without charging. This ENTICES a potential visitor when they see a perk that is INCLUDED. The cost of operating Magical Express could be somewhat offset by increasing room occupancy and onsite guest spending. It was smart because it was not a price hike that was visible. It was not blatantly obvious.

RobidaFlats

You're DVC right.. in all of your years at Disney do you actually see them adding a fee without any new services? Taking exactly what is there now and charging for it. Alienating their guests and most likely receiving heavy criticism in the press. Can you give me an example of anything like this that has ever occurred?. Apples to Apples, not a dessert party or holiday party which actually do add something extra.

I'll take the bait, because I'm a sucker...

Off the top of my head: Non-expiring ticket option.

Tickets didn't originally have an expiration date. Then they added a fee for that. Checkmate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom