PizzeRizzo announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios - Was: Rumor: Pizza Planet/Mama Melrose closing?

WhatJaneSays

Original Poster
Not really. If it closed permanently on January 11, surely the idea is that the building would be demo'd for Star Wars. If it closed on January 11 and reopened shortly after, surely the idea would be just a quick and needed refurb. But to close on January 11 and reopen at the end of 2016? That would have to mean a major re theme, which is what the thread was always hinting at.
Yeah, that was the feel of what I was hearing. That Pizza Planet was getting re-themed rather than taken out. I think there were low level rumbles about that since Toy Story land was confirmed. Not that I think they would move PP over there, but as more of a consolidating that IP to one area of the park.

(The Mama Melrose bit is still confusing to me. It is kind of tucked away in a corner already so I could see eventually having to doing something different or closing it - just not anytime soon.)

Eastonm7

IMO Pizza Planet is the exact same as Pizzafari. Disney QS pizza is the same throughout. Unless it's the flatbread which isn't bad to me. I love PVH. I think Pizza Planet is a good option for children at DHS and a re themed version in TSL wouldn't be a bad idea

EngineJoe

Yeah, that was the feel of what I was hearing. That Pizza Planet was getting re-themed rather than taken out. I think there were low level rumbles about that since Toy Story land was confirmed. Not that I think they would move PP over there, but as more of a consolidating that IP to one area of the park.

(The Mama Melrose bit is still confusing to me. It is kind of tucked away in a corner already so I could see eventually having to doing something different or closing it - just not anytime soon.)

Maybe they make the Star Wars cantina pizza planet

Cmdr_Crimson

IMO Pizza Planet is the exact same as Pizzafari. Disney QS pizza is the same throughout. Unless it's the flatbread which isn't bad to me. I love PVH. I think Pizza Planet is a good option for children at DHS and a re themed version in TSL wouldn't be a bad idea

I will mention that while I was at Pop Century last November they did roll out a new French Bread pizza which was better than the QS Pizza that's commonly used in the parks & resorts...Not sure if it was introduced to other resorts but, It was better..
pepperoni_pizza_disney_world.jpg

captainmoch

I'd love it if we got Muppets Land late 2016. It has the potential to be a nice little land, similar to Springfield at Universal Studios (which was also built at the same time as two other expansions, in that case being Transformers and Diagon Alley). A 4D show, two rethemed restaurants, a more cohesive "Muppet Courtyard" type theme, and potentially a flat ride. It'd give DHS something for 2016, at least.

brb1006

Am I the only person who actually the pizza at Pizza Planet? Sure it was small, but it really tasted good. I remember eating the entire pizza since the sauce and cheese were yummy. I am disappointed with the amount of arcade cabinets they have.

EngineJoe

Am I the only person who actually the pizza at Pizza Planet? Sure it was small, but it really tasted good. I remember eating the entire pizza since the sauce and cheese were yummy. I am disappointed with the amount of arcade cabinets they have.

As long as it's pizza I like it. This isn't ribeye steak or some fine cuisine so the only way you can mess it up is to make flatbread bird food pizza.

flyerjab

Not really. If it closed permanently on January 11, surely the idea is that the building would be demo'd for Star Wars. If it closed on January 11 and reopened shortly after, surely the idea would be just a quick and needed refurb. But to close on January 11 and reopen at the end of 2016? That would have to mean a major re theme, which is what the thread was always hinting at.

Oh, I know that it will be re-themed. There was just something about the way Martin stated that post that made me think there was more to it regarding what the re-theme might be. He is cunning that way. :cautious:

Eastonm7

I will mention that while I was at Pop Century last November they did roll out a new French Bread pizza which was better than the QS Pizza that's commonly used in the parks & resorts...Not sure if it was introduced to other resorts but, It was better..
pepperoni_pizza_disney_world.jpg
Sure looks better for sure

WDWFanDave

Oh, I know that it will be re-themed. There was just something about the way Martin stated that post that made me think there was more to it regarding what the re-theme might be. He is cunning that way. :cautious:
Perhaps he was trying to let us know that it's not only closing for refurb, but when it reopens, it will be where it belongs in Toy Story land? @marni1971 ? Am I on the right track?

SirLink

I have no idea if it's moving location. I just wouldn't be surprised if the current location reopens and still serves food.

Indeed there is guest flow area issues in this area of the park everything from the Playground to the the edge of the park also from front to back i.e. Pizza Planet to Backlot Theatre is all under scrutiny for more focus. Expect everything to go through various stages such as potentially Pizza Planet becoming a shop/rest area with a place to charge smart devices whilst they pull Stage One Company building down. Nothing has been nailed down to the final theme at the end of refocus. Could be Muppets? Could be another Pixar IP? Or Generic studio theme...

Greenlawler

There's a part of me that does not understand for the life of me how anyone could "love" the PP/PF pizza. 2/3 bread with a smidgen of cheese and a ladle of sauce. Could it be you are just starving and pizza is still pizza no matter how bad it is? If there was a Pizza Hut kiosk right next door with comparable prices what would you do?

But different strokes for different folks, I like Brussel Sprouts what do I know?

As far as a refurb I stand with the crowd that thinks they should turn PP into a Muppet place, re-imagine PP in Toy Story Land.

As far as Mama Melrose, again, it's a comparison thing, it's the best of mediocre options.I honestly think it's the best table service place in DHS, however to me, that is not saying much. I would not miss it, if it were re-imagined.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom